Film (movie) Music

Started by vandermolen, August 12, 2008, 12:33:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foxandpeng

Philip Glass
Powaqqatsi
Michael Riesman conducting
Elektra

Yeah, this isn't bad. Hardly classical (despite the discussions in another thread 🤣), but listenable and engaging background music while I work.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Roy Bland

Both movie and music great
Luciano Michelini (1945) is an Italian composer, pianist, organist and arranger.
He studied at the Santa Cecilia Conservatory and graduated in piano with Vera Gobbi Belcredi, in composition with Armando Renzi and in orchestral conducting with Franco Ferrara. He has carried out teaching activities, teaching at the Conservatory of Santa Cecilia, at the Pontifical Institute of Sacred Music and at the Tommaso Ludovico Da Victoria School of Music.
As a pianist, arranger and conductor Michelini worked for RCA, Ricordi and Cam. He has collaborated for a long time with Severino Gazzelloni, with whom he has recorded more than forty LPs.

W.A. Mozart

Quote from: Florestan on March 09, 2024, 09:28:08 AM...thus making WAM aware of this very thread, although I doubt it'll make him budge from his solipsism (and here we come full circle with our esteemed @AnotherSpin ).  :D

I already know this discussion and I've even posted some soundtracks here.

I forgot to mention GMG in the list of websites that classify determined soundtracks as classical music.

W.A. Mozart

The film "Cold Mountain" (2003) was nominated for the Oscar "Best Original Score" in 2004. The soundtrack has been composed by Gabriel Yared.

The video, which contains a selection of the best parts of the suite, is structured as follows:
00:00 Ada Plays
03:19 Love Theme
07:00 Anthem
10:24 Ada And Inman [final climax]

So beautiful!

Roasted Swan

Quote from: W.A. Mozart on May 05, 2024, 08:24:28 AMThe film "Cold Mountain" (2003) was nominated for the Oscar "Best Original Score" in 2004. The soundtrack has been composed by Gabriel Yared.

The video, which contains a selection of the best parts of the suite, is structured as follows:

So beautiful!

I agree - an impressive score - but the parts that linger longest in my memory are the two cues by The Sacred Harp Singers At Liberty Church.  Extraordinary sound, extraordinary fervour.

W.A. Mozart

Quote from: Roasted Swan on May 06, 2024, 10:27:52 AMI agree - an impressive score - but the parts that linger longest in my memory are the two cues by The Sacred Harp Singers At Liberty Church.  Extraordinary sound, extraordinary fervour.

I didn't include that song because it's not a part of the original score. It's a traditional song.

Roy Bland

Maybe that Werner Janssen author of Captain Kidd sountrack hasn't a cd devoted to him?

pjme

Is this that Werner Jansen?

"Conductor, composer and songwriter, a music student of Frederick Converse and holder of an honorary Mus. D. from Dartmouth College and a Prix de Rome from The American Academy in Rome. He was associate conductor (with Arturo Toscanini) of the New York Philharmonic in 1934, and conducted symphony orchestras throughout the world. In 1940, he founded the Janssen Symphony in Los Angeles, which he conducted. He also conducted the Baltimore Symphony between 1937 and 1939, the Utah Symphony between 1946-1947, the Portland Symphony between 1947 and 1949, the San Diego Philharmonic between 1952 and 1954, the Symphony of the Air Orchestra in 1956, the Toronto Symphony in 1956 and 1957, and the Belgrade Philharmonic and Vienna State Opera Orchestra between 1959 and 1961. He was a Fellow of the American Academy in Rome, and a Knight First Class of the Order White Rose in Finland. He also made many records. Joining ASCAP in 1922, his popular-song compositions include "Wisdom Tooth", "Without the One You Love", "At the Fireplace", and "Falling Leaves"."

Apparently the maintitle of Captain kidd is on this selection... and it is Mendelsohn's Hebrides....! The film is on YT.
No other film scores to be found... As a conductor several recordings  - Prokofiev, Villa lobos, some Haydn, Thompson.

Irons

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

W.A. Mozart

Here below you find the scores of the five film nominated for the Oscar "Best Original Score" in 2004.

Each video is structured as follows:
- Main theme
- Secondary themes
- Final reprise of the main theme with climax

In Reddit I'm running a competition. The users have to vote their favourite score between the ones nominated in each year. In the second and final part of this competition, all the winners for each year will compete between each others.

If you have a Reddit account you can vote here for the year 2004: https://www.reddit.com/r/classicalmusic/comments/1cu5ro5/game_best_original_score_2004_see_the_videos_to/

As for me, I like the score of "Cold Mountain" and I quite like the ones of "Big Fish" and of "House of Sand and Fog", but I really love the score of The Lord of the Ring (it's one of my favourite scores) because I think that it has great melodic inventiveness and powerful and colorful orchestrations.

I don't like so much the score of "Finding Nemo" (I'm probably not a great fan of Thomas Newman, in general).

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (Howard Shore)

00:00 The Black Gate Opens [main theme]
04:01 Twilight and Shadow
07:32 The White Tree
10:58 The Fields of the Pelenor
14:25 The Return of the King [development of the main theme and final climax]

Big Fish (Danny Elfman)

00:00 Underwater [main theme]
01:53 The Growing Montage
04:34 The Journey Home
06:46 Man Of The Hour
10:33 End Titles
13:15 Sandra's Theme [final reprise of the main theme with climax]

Cold Mountain (Gabriel Yared)

Finding Nemo (Thomas Newman)

00:00 Nemo Egg (Main Title) [main theme]
01:17 All Drains Lead To The Ocean
02:57 Darla Filth Offramp
05:20 Fish In My Hair!
06:52 Fishing Grounds
08:36 Scum Angel
10:02 Swim Down
11:49 The Turtle Lope
13:56 Time To Let Go
16:11 Frond Like These [final reprise of the main theme with climax]

Finding Nemo (2003) - Score with images - Best parts of the suite

House of Sand and Fog (James Horner)

00:00 We Have Travelled So Far, It Is Time to Return to Our Path [exposition and development of the main theme]
08:59 Two People
12:49 The Waves of the Caspian Sea [final reprise of the main theme with climax]

pjme

Elisabeth Lutyens

I wonder if this piece is also the score to some film?
Found it :

https://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2012/Oct12/Lutyens_en_Voyage.htm