Film (movie) Music

Started by vandermolen, August 12, 2008, 12:33:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sound67

Quote from: ezodisy on August 31, 2008, 10:58:35 AM
lol!

Another great comment. You should be entering primary school any day now.  ;D
"Vivaldi didn't compose 500 concertos. He composed the same concerto 500 times" - Igor Stravinsky

"Mozart is a menace to musical progress, a relic of rituals that were losing relevance in his own time and are meaningless to ours." - Norman Lebrecht

ezodisy

Still waiting for you to show any of your education, sound67...

sound67

Quote from: ezodisy on August 31, 2008, 11:01:42 AM
Still waiting for you to show any of your education, sound67...

Pretty lame, even for you.  ::)
"Vivaldi didn't compose 500 concertos. He composed the same concerto 500 times" - Igor Stravinsky

"Mozart is a menace to musical progress, a relic of rituals that were losing relevance in his own time and are meaningless to ours." - Norman Lebrecht

ezodisy

sound67

Not true, and not even remotely the point.  :P

The point here is people talking about film music, a subject to which you have been contributing .. let's see .. zilch.

Thomas

ezodisy

sound67, listing discs, uttering quotes of certain directors and criticising other directors are things that have nothing to do with showing your education. Any muppet can do those things. The fact that you repeatedly fail and patently avoid discussing the integration of music into film shows you up very clearly. So much for your vaunted education  ::)

sound67

Quote from: ezodisy on August 31, 2008, 11:15:36 AM
sound67, listing discs, uttering quotes of certain directors and criticising other directors are things that have nothing to do with showing your education. Any muppet can do those things. The fact that you repeatedly fail and patently avoid discussing the integration of music into film shows you up very clearly. So much for your vaunted education  ::)

I pointed out, and AFAIR specifically to you, a NUMBER of volumes that deal with both film music history AND technique(s), illustrating the how and why in detail (especially the Karlin book, which has become a must-read for composers aspiring to work in movies and TV). I also told you that I'm not here to start from Adam & Eve. Maybe you are.

I find it more challenging if you leave people with a few pointers that might make them curious to find out more, reading those (and/or other) books. If you want to move from general to specific issues, that's where you're gonna start.

On film music boards I've been through discussing specific films and composer/director relationship time after time, it makes no sense on a board where people have to be reminded that there is such as orginal music in films. What's the point in discussing isolated film and score samples with people who know neither of them? That's not gonna get anybody anywhere.

As the ridiculous North vs Goldsmith vs Strauss poll indicated, next to no people on this board ever heard of one of the finest film composers of the past century, a man highly respected by his peers and who has a devoted following among lovers of film music. Now, a few people more have heard of him. Mission accomplished.

Of course, you are not really curious. You're just being vindictive. Again, a tactic I never resort to.  0:)

Thomas

ezodisy

Quote from: sound67 on August 31, 2008, 11:22:35 AM
I find it more challenging if you leave people with a few pointers that might make them curious to find out more, reading those (and/or other) books.

Thomas

Agreed. Let's leave it at that then.

eyeresist

Sound67, there's no good argument against snobbery.

jochanaan

Quote from: karlhenning on August 31, 2008, 10:57:12 AM
Right. Still, it was a very gracious compliment on Truffaut's part. Musicological rubbish, but Hermann seems to have found it believable  8)
Or perhaps he found the compliment unworthy of comment yet believed in Truffaut's contract offer. ;D
Imagination + discipline = creativity

vandermolen

Anyone heard the music from the new Narnia film? I enjoyed the music from the first one  ;D
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

karlhenning

Quote from: eyeresist on August 31, 2008, 06:18:32 PM
Sound67, there's no good argument against snobbery.

No, not even against film-music snobbery.

karlhenning

Quote from: jochanaan on August 31, 2008, 06:44:49 PM
Or perhaps he found the compliment unworthy of comment yet believed in Truffaut's contract offer. ;D

Plausible  ;)

sound67

No, not really. I think it's fairly obvious what Truffaut wanted to express. And quite a few I think would agree.

Thomnas

Bogey

Snagged this tv soundtrack last night, on vinyl:

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

karlhenning

Bogey

Quote from: karlhenning on September 05, 2008, 03:55:27 AM
Good morning, Bill:D

'Morning Karl.  Out the door for a cup of joe and on to work.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

sound67

Quote from: Bogey on September 04, 2008, 05:32:46 PM
Snagged this tv soundtrack last night, on vinyl:

A good "jazz man", liked his score for Baby Doll.

Thomas

Bogey

Quote from: sound67 on September 05, 2008, 06:02:20 AM
A good "jazz man", liked his score for Baby Doll.

Thomas

That one on vinyl can bring 5 Hamiltons in nice shape, Thomas.  I'll keep an eye out for it.

sound67

So rare LPs are still fetching top prices. A late friend of mine had that album, he also once bought what was then considered the "rarest" and most expensive soundtrack LP, Alfred the Great by Raymond Leppard. It was listed in catalogues at UKP 1,000 (in the mid eighties!).

I think the most sought-after LP I still got is Legends of the Living Sea, composed for an underwater attraction designed by Jean-Jacques Cousteau. But I will never sell it, it is a beautiful score by Walter Scharf (whose music also supported Cousteau's first TV series).

Thomas