Film (movie) Music

Started by vandermolen, August 12, 2008, 12:33:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drogulus

Quote from: sound67 on September 01, 2008, 06:14:23 AM
No, not really. I think it's fairly obvious what Truffaut wanted to express. And quite a few I think would agree.

Thomnas

In part it had to do with the demands of the story. In the film's future world an elegiac score which recalled the lost world of culture would be more effective than one reminding the audience of the cultural destruction that led to it. The end of the film makes this evident, I think, if nothing else does.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

eyeresist

Quote from: sound67 on September 06, 2008, 01:31:58 AM
So rare LPs are still fetching top prices. A late friend of mine had that album, he also once bought what was then considered the "rarest" and most expensive soundtrack LP, Alfred the Great by Raymond Leppard. It was listed in catalogues at UKP 1,000 (in the mid eighties!).

Leppard the conductor? Interesting.

MDL

Quote from: jochanaan on August 16, 2008, 01:49:35 PM
I just remembered that I had neglected to include John Corigliano's Altered States in my original list! :-[ :D

A new recording of the Three Hallucinations from Altered States has been released by Naxos (coupled with Mr Tambourine Man which I haven't played yet; I only bought the CD yesterday). The Buffalo Phil is conduted by JoAnn Falletta (it's good to see more women getting involved in this conducting lark). Obviously it loses something without the electronic effects and shouting voices, but it's still an exciting listen. Where would we be without the wonderful Naxos label?

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Szykneij

Quote from: Bogey on September 14, 2008, 07:03:38 AM
This morning's listening:

One of my favorite TV shows when I was a kid! I think there was something Freudian in the characters'  tiny and helpless situation that resonated with children.

I don't have any recollection of the music from the series, though. What are your thoughts on the soundtrack?
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

sound67

Frank Skinner - Son of Frankenstein
Frank Skinner, Hans J. Salter - The Invisible Man Returns
Frank Skinner, Hans J. Salter - The Wolf Man

Thomas
"Vivaldi didn't compose 500 concertos. He composed the same concerto 500 times" - Igor Stravinsky

"Mozart is a menace to musical progress, a relic of rituals that were losing relevance in his own time and are meaningless to ours." - Norman Lebrecht

Bogey

Quote from: Szykniej on September 14, 2008, 08:58:19 AM
One of my favorite TV shows when I was a kid! I think there was something Freudian in the characters'  tiny and helpless situation that resonated with children.

I don't have any recollection of the music from the series, though. What are your thoughts on the soundtrack?

Bubblegum meets sci-fi.  Fairly repetitive, but fun.  See PM.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bogey

Quote from: sound67 on September 14, 2008, 09:13:51 AM

Frank Skinner - Son of Frankenstein
Frank Skinner, Hans J. Salter - The Invisible Man Returns
Frank Skinner, Hans J. Salter - The Wolf Man

Thomas

This one is on my next, or second to next order.

Bogey

Bogey

A little Herrmann to start my day.  Good morning.

Bogey

sound67

Les Baxter, Master of the World (on vinyl only, unfortunately)

A colorful score for the Vincent Price fantasy film inspired by Jules Verne, similar - but superior - to Victor Young's "Around the World in 80 Days". Les Baxter wrote more than a 100 film scores, although he is best remembered as a band leader (there's a groovy web site on him, http://www.lesbaxter.com/). He came to my attention again last week when I watched Roger Corman's "X - The Man with the X-Ray Eyes" on MGM. Nifty and imaginative score, rooted in pop music.

Baxter's greatest contributions were for the Roger Corman series of E.A.Poe "adaptations" starring Vincent Price, his work for "House of Usher" and "The Pit and the Pendulum" was excellent. Sadly, none of those never made it to LP/CD.

Thomas
"Vivaldi didn't compose 500 concertos. He composed the same concerto 500 times" - Igor Stravinsky

"Mozart is a menace to musical progress, a relic of rituals that were losing relevance in his own time and are meaningless to ours." - Norman Lebrecht

Bogey

Bogey

Quote from: sound67 on September 16, 2008, 02:32:06 AM

Baxter's greatest contributions were for the Roger Corman series of E.A.Poe "adaptations" starring Vincent Price, his work for "House of Usher" and "The Pit and the Pendulum" was excellent. Sadly, none of those never made it to LP/CD.

Thomas

I am surprised that no one has recorded at least the main titles in a compilation like format for the Price films, including these.  Maybe these folks will down the road:

http://www.mmmrecordings.com/

sound67

I raised the issue once on a newsgroup, and got a private message afterwards from one of Baxter's grandsons. He told me that the original soundtrack tapes of many of Baxter's scores were available, incl those for the Poe adaptations. I guess he thought I had connections to a record company that would buy them. Some of the music is very fine (incl a delightful comedy score for "The Raven", for winds only), but if the music was union-recorded there's no chance for a release.

MMM seem primarily concerned with a special type of 1950s B-picture music, mainly Universal's. But thanks for the link, there's some new stuff since I last visited the site. Bought their first two Monstrous Music CDs years ago - autographed by Herman Stein and Irving Gertz.  ;D

Thomas

Bogey

How does the "union" piece lock it up Thomas?  Just curious.

sound67

You'd have to pay the session musicians (or their heirs) again.

According to the Les Baxter website, selections from the Poe scores were used for the "Poe Suite" which is featured on the B-side of a Citadel LP with Baxter's "Cry of the Banshee" score. I got that CD, but when I listened to the B-side many years ago the music seemed different from that for the Price features.

Thomas

Bogey

Waking up to this.  I honestly could not reccomend this maneuver to many.  ;D

Ugh!

I've always been fond of Billy Goldberg's score for Spielberg's debut tv-film Duel...

vandermolen

On Friday I watched the film "Night of the Hunter" having not seen it for c 30 years. I realised what a wonderful scary/poetic score Walter Schumann wrote for it. Have ordered CD below:

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).