Film (movie) Music

Started by vandermolen, August 12, 2008, 12:33:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

Quote from: Ugh! on September 22, 2008, 11:40:20 AM
I've always been fond of Billy Goldberg's score for Spielberg's debut tv-film Duel...

Perhaps; but a rear-end jutting out front and center from a poster is poor artistic judgment  ;D

jochanaan

Quote from: karlhenning on September 23, 2008, 12:48:15 PM
Perhaps; but a rear-end jutting out front and center from a poster is poor artistic judgment  ;D
Well, whoever claimed movie posters were "artistic"? :o On the other hand, not all rear ends show "poor artistic judgment." ;D
Imagination + discipline = creativity

Ugh!

Quote from: karlhenning on September 23, 2008, 12:48:15 PM

Not at all, it just establishes the central psychological theme of the film: homophobia, fear of some stranger coming up from behind ;)

karlhenning

Cue: Spinal Tap, "Big Bottom"

jochanaan

Quote from: kaarrrllll on September 24, 2008, 03:07:17 AM
Cue: Spinal Tap, "Big Bottom"
Cue for flashback: Ma Rainey's "Black Bottom." :o ;D
Imagination + discipline = creativity

Szykneij

Yesterday I watched a broadcast of "Casablanca" on television and, although I've seen it on many occasions, I was struck this time by one particular scene. As a group of German soldiers sing (what I believe to be) "Die Wacht Am Rhein" in Rick's bar, Victor Laszlo gets up and leads the band and the rest of the patrons in a stirring rendition of "La Marseillaise". The two pieces go on simultaneously for a while until "La Marseillaise" finally prevails.  It's an excellent scene in all respects, especially in a musical sense. I've just ordered the Max Steiner soundtrack to the film.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Bogey

Quote from: Szykniej on September 28, 2008, 08:33:58 AM
Yesterday I watched a broadcast of "Casablanca" on television and, although I've seen it on many occasions, I was struck this time by one particular scene. As a group of German soldiers sing (what I believe to be) "Die Wacht Am Rhein" in Rick's bar, Victor Laszlo gets up and leads the band and the rest of the patrons in a stirring rendition of "La Marseillaise". The two pieces go on simultaneously for a while until "La Marseillaise" finally prevails.  It's an excellent scene in all respects, especially in a musical sense. I've just ordered the Max Steiner soundtrack to the film.

Let me know how that is, Tony.  I have been tempted in the past, but the ones I have seen are riddled with dialogue (maybe I just have not looked hard enough) and I prefer one that is strictly music, like the Treasure of Sierra Madre disc I have.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Szykneij

Quote from: Bogey on September 28, 2008, 08:58:54 AM
Let me know how that is, Tony.  I have been tempted in the past, but the ones I have seen are riddled with dialogue (maybe I just have not looked hard enough) and I prefer one that is strictly music, like the Treasure of Sierra Madre disc I have.

Will do. This is the one I ordered.

Somewhat of an impulse buy, but sometimes those are the ones that turn out best.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Bogey

Ordered these two OOP (at least I believe this to be the case) cds:

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bogey

karlhenning

Sometime this weekend Mamochka and I will likely watch Laura together.

I'll make a note of the score by David Raksin, this time around  8)

Bogey

The Klingon Battle track is just the "berries" of this soundtrack IMO.

Bogey

Szykneij

Quote from: Bogey on September 28, 2008, 08:58:54 AM

Well, I can't say I'm totally disappointed, but this CD came today and it isn't what I expected. If you want to avoid dialog, definitely avoid this CD. I don't think there were many lines spoken in the film that aren't on it. The audio quality leaves much to be desired, too. It sounds as if someone sat in the theater with a tape recorder on their lap to produce it. Despite all that, it is a fun recording to have. It's just too bad it doesn't do justice to the score.

Bogey

Quote from: Szykniej on October 06, 2008, 11:53:39 AM

Well, I can't say I'm totally disappointed, but this CD came today and it isn't what I expected. If you want to avoid dialog, definitely avoid this CD. I don't think there were many lines spoken in the film that aren't on it. The audio quality leaves much to be desired, too. It sounds as if someone sat in the theater with a tape recorder on their lap to produce it. Despite all that, it is a fun recording to have. It's just too bad it doesn't do justice to the score.

Darn.  Well, maybe there is one down the road.  I know they released a Maltese Falcon and of course The Treasure of Sierra madre (Two versions I believe, the original score and a remake.  I have the original on the Rhino label and enjoy it).  I wonder if Thomas has any insight here.

Wilhelm Richard

Beecham's Tales of Hoffmann for Powell and Pressburger...Not only a fine arrangement and soundtrack for the film, but one of the finest recordings of (one version of) the opera.

Bogey

Cato

One of the greatest scores is on my player right now: Max Steiner's King Kong.

My favorite CD of it is now OOP, I believe, and only available used.

http://www.amazon.com/King-Kong-Max-Steiner/dp/B000JNUXEG/ref=sr_1_25?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1223561254&sr=1-25

The conductor is Fred Steiner (no relation) with the National Philharmonic Orchestra.
There is less  music (48 minutes) than on the Marco Polo Moscow Symphony CD, but the clarity of the counterpoint comes through much better, and the climaxes are harder hitting and therefore much more appropriate.

Steiner in his later years can be rightly accused of too much Mickey-Mousing, and there is of course some of that in King Kong.

Still, worth looking for, if you do not know this version.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Cato

I almost forgot to add this from Wikipedia's entry on conductor/composer Fred Steiner:

QuoteAnother of Steiner's famous works, "Park Avenue Beat," was used from 1957 to 1966 as the theme song to Perry Mason and was re-recorded by Dick DeBenedictis for the subsequent made-for-TV movies in 1985. Steiner also composed the main theme to The Bullwinkle Show

My emphasis!

There!  Proof of Genius!  Probably a genius greater than...say...Debussy's while composing P/M!

And as Bugs Bunny would say, "Yeah, them's fightin' woids!"   $:)

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Bogey

Quote from: Cato on October 09, 2008, 06:13:44 AM
One of the greatest scores is on my player right now: Max Steiner's King Kong.

My favorite CD of it is now OOP, I believe, and only available used.

http://www.amazon.com/King-Kong-Max-Steiner/dp/B000JNUXEG/ref=sr_1_25?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1223561254&sr=1-25

The conductor is Fred Steiner (no relation) with the National Philharmonic Orchestra.
There is less  music (48 minutes) than on the Marco Polo Moscow Symphony CD, but the clarity of the counterpoint comes through much better, and the climaxes are harder hitting and therefore much more appropriate.

Steiner in his later years can be rightly accused of too much Mickey-Mousing, and there is of course some of that in King Kong.

Still, worth looking for, if you do not know this version.

Looks as though I need to add another recording of this GREAT score to my shelf, as I have the Polo one.  Thanks for the review, Cato.