Film (movie) Music

Started by vandermolen, August 12, 2008, 12:33:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cato

Quote from: Bogey on October 09, 2008, 04:17:42 PM
Looks as though I need to add another recording of this GREAT score to my shelf, as I have the Polo one.  Thanks for the review, Cato.

The notes in the little booklet are also very interesting, written by Fred Steiner, and contain examples of the score, including the Main Title page...but you will probably need a magnifying glass, if you are like me!   8)

The booklet quotes Oscar Levant saying the the movie should have been advertised as a new concert work by Max Steiner with accompanying pictures!   ;D
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

vandermolen

Quote from: Bogey on October 06, 2008, 03:31:40 PM
Darn.  Well, maybe there is one down the road.  I know they released a Maltese Falcon and of course The Treasure of Sierra madre (Two versions I believe, the original score and a remake.  I have the original on the Rhino label and enjoy it).  I wonder if Thomas has any insight here.

I have the old Charles Gerhardt CD below which features an effective eight minute sequence from 'Casablanca' (without dialogue):

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Strongly recommend this new Naxos release, especially for L'Idee, a quite haunting score for an animated film:

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Bogey

Grabbed these four on vinyl today:

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bogey

Quote from: vandermolen on October 11, 2008, 12:29:15 AM
I have the old Charles Gerhardt CD below which features an effective eight minute sequence from 'Casablanca' (without dialogue):

May be worth a try.  I need to watch the film again and really listen to the music (score component).
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: vandermolen on October 11, 2008, 12:37:30 AM
Strongly recommend this new Naxos release, especially for L'Idee, a quite haunting score for an animated film:

Thanks, I collect that series, that's one of the two or three I don't have. I'll keep it in my Amazon shopping cart.

Wanderer

Quote from: Bogey on October 12, 2008, 12:48:42 PM

Good one!  8)

Incidentally, this is what I'm listening to at the moment...

vandermolen

Quote from: Bogey on October 07, 2008, 07:24:51 PM
Now playing:  ;)

This is a great score. I also have the old Unicorn-Kanchana recording with Laurie Johnson conducting.

tjguitar

Quote from: vandermolen on October 14, 2008, 08:09:04 AM
This is a great score. I also have the old Unicorn-Kanchana recording with Laurie Johnson conducting.

vandermolen, I can't recommend this new-ish complete recording enough conducted by Joel McNeely.:

http://www.varesesarabande.com/details.asp?pid=vcl-1107-1067

He's done a few fantastic recordings for the Varese Sarabande label (I think his Vertigo recording is maybe the best we have.)

tjguitar

Also, since we're mentioning Herrmann, I am very pleased with The Kentuckian. I never would have thought that Herrmann did any Americana, but it's quite pleasant to listen to.

anasazi

Quote from: tjguitar on October 15, 2008, 01:23:24 PM
Also, since we're mentioning Herrmann, I am very pleased with The Kentuckian. I never would have thought that Herrmann did any Americana, but it's quite pleasant to listen to.

Herrmann (along with his friend Jerome Moross) were both early fans of Charles Ives (ig that tells you anything).  Just because Herrmann didn't get to score many Americana pictures doesn't follow that he couldn't do it, does it?  It just means that Hollywood producers and directors didn't ask him for that. And plus, he was associated so many years with Hitchcock.  If you get the chance, check out a little piece Benny wrote called "Williamsburg - The Story of A Patriot". It is from a short documentary film and has been recorded, but now (I think) it may be out of print.  Interestingly, BH makes use of the little tune that Billings wrote, called "Chester".  This was the marching music of the first continental army by the way.  William Schuman also used this theme in his "Three Places In New England".
This tune is one the COULD have been (to some of us: should have been) chosen as the USA's national anthem.   

tjguitar

QuoteIf you get the chance, check out a little piece Benny wrote called "Williamsburg - The Story of A Patriot". It is from a short documentary film and has been recorded, but now (I think) it may be out of print.  Interestingly, BH makes use of the little tune that Billings wrote, called "Chester".  This was the marching music of the first continental army by the way.  William Schuman also used this theme in his "Three Places In New England".
This tune is one the COULD have been (to some of us: should have been) chosen as the USA's national anthem.   

Williamsburg is on the same CD as the image I posted...

I also wasn't suggesting that Herrmann COULDN'T write Americana, just that it's not what I associate him with (Hithcock, the Harryhousen fantasy stuff)

Bogey

He also hit the noir genre, but truly only once (?):

anasazi

Quote from: tjguitar on October 15, 2008, 08:18:44 PM
Williamsburg is on the same CD as the image I posted...

I also wasn't suggesting that Herrmann COULDN'T write Americana, just that it's not what I associate him with (Hithcock, the Harryhousen fantasy stuff)

Yes, I know you weren't suggesting he couln't write Americana.  Sorry, I don't have the new Kentuckian CD, only the old one, and I forgot that Williamsburg was also included on the new CD. 

Bogey

To end the evening here:

Love the music, but do not care for the movie.  For those that disagree with this: Frankly, I don't give a damn.  ;)

M forever

Quote from: anasazi on October 15, 2008, 07:49:48 PM
William Schuman also used this theme in his "Three Places In New England".

Isn't that by Ives?

Szykneij

Quote from: M forever on October 17, 2008, 07:36:52 PM
Isn't that by Ives?

Yes. I believe the Schuman piece is titled "New England Triptych".
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Szykneij

Staying with the subjects of New England compositions (Piston also wrote "Three New England Sketches") and film music, does anyone else hear a huge similarity between the main themes of Quincy Porter's "New England Episodes" and Ernest Gold's "Theme to Exodus"?

Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

karlhenning

Quote from: Szykniej on October 18, 2008, 04:04:12 AM
Yes. I believe the Schuman piece is titled "New England Triptych".

And based on tunes by Boston composer Wm Billings.

Ugh!

I'll do it again: Krysztof Komeda makes my day!