Film (movie) Music

Started by vandermolen, August 12, 2008, 12:33:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

schweitzeralan

Quote from: vandermolen on August 12, 2008, 12:33:38 AM
What are you favourite film scores?

Some of mine are:

Conan the Barbarian: (Poledouris), a great score, like Prokofiev's "Alexander Nevsky" (really!)

The Heiress: Copland

Ivan the Terribe: Prokofiev

War and Peace (Russian): Ovchinnikov (wish it was on CD)

Shawshank Redemption/Green Mile: Thomas Newman

2001 A Space Odyssey: Ligeti etc

Dead of Night: Auric

The Cruel Sea: Rawsthorne

There are many more, but that will do for now.

I like David Shire's "Zodiac." It is conceived primarily in the melodic minor mode, which,for some reason, is particularly appealing to me. I also like various sections (not always thecentral themes)of works by Jerry Goldsmith, John Williams, and Danny Elfman.

Coopmv

Here's an absolutely beautiful movie ...  Beautiful woman and beautiful music ...   ;D

Bogey

Just picked up some Bernard Herrmann:

The above phase 4 stereo lp's except with the London label in the top right corner.  $20 for the lot and the vinyl approaches pristine.

vandermolen

Quote from: Bogey on February 28, 2009, 11:35:57 AM
Just picked up some Bernard Herrmann:

The above phase 4 stereo lp's except with the London label in the top right corner.  $20 for the lot and the vinyl approaches pristine.

What a great discovery! I love Herrmann's music. 'The Ghost and Mrs Muir' is my (and BH's) favourite.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Bogey

Quote from: vandermolen on February 28, 2009, 02:06:28 PM
What a great discovery! I love Herrmann's music. 'The Ghost and Mrs Muir' is my (and BH's) favourite.

Agreed.  He was easily one the best ever.

schweitzeralan

Quote from: vandermolen on August 15, 2008, 01:28:42 AM
Thomas,

What a great list! Many would be on my list too.

Re: Ghost and Mrs Muir, doesn't Herrmann's fine score for Jane Eyre also feature music from his opera Wuthering Heights?

On this topic, a little known but great score (or great theme music anyway) is Michel Legrand's for the Timothy Dalton, Anna Calder-Marshall version of Wuthering Heights. I remembered the theme for over 30 yrs until I bought the DVD and it is on a CD compilation of Michel Legrand's music (incidentally his recording of Durufle's Requiem is my favourite; a truly wonderful performance, unlike any other).

Rozsa's Double Indemnity, yes, a great score

Goldmith's Alien and Planet of the Apes are favourites too

Tora, Tora, Tora (Goldsmith?)

VW Scott Music+Lives of Joanna Godden (little known score...now on CD)

Alwyn's Odd Man Out is a wondeful score, truly symphonic. It reminds me of The Road to Calvary in Rosza'a Ben Hur and I think that it is one of Alwyn's greatest scores.

Bliss :Things to Come; great score.

Waxman: Bride of Frankenstein and Rebecca.

Malcolm Arnold's St Trinians is good fun.

Wasn't VW's 7th Symphony originally a film score for "Scott of the Antarctica?"  It may be mentioned elsewhere in this thread..  This is a great, memorable symphonic work.

vandermolen

Quote from: schweitzeralan on March 07, 2009, 04:25:09 AM
Wasn't VW's 7th Symphony originally a film score for "Scott of the Antarctica?"  It may be mentioned elsewhere in this thread..  This is a great, memorable symphonic work.

Yes, Vaughan Williams subtitled his 7th Symphony 'Sinfonia Antartica' - it is indeed based on the Scott film score.  Haitink's recording is one of the best.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

schweitzeralan

Quote from: schweitzeralan on February 24, 2009, 09:22:17 AM

I like David Shire's "Zodiac." It is conceived primarily in the melodic minor mode, which,for some reason, is particularly appealing to me. I also like various sections (not always thecentral themes)of works by Jerry Goldsmith, John Williams, and Danny Elfman.

I simply wanted to add a film score the movie in which was just released; namely, "Knowing." This is a fine sc-fi movie starring Nicolas Cage.  Marco Beltrami's score sounds quite interesting from what I gleaned during this first encounter with the film along with the soundtrack. I decided to order it from Amazon.  Hopefully subsequent hearings on my part will reveal moments of significant themes and harmonies.

Bogey

And I will add Danny Elfman's, Milk.  Sounds like the soundtracks that came out in the early 90's by many composers.  Just paced with the film well, IMO.

Kullervo

Played Star Wars Episode One in the video store the other day and noticed during the ending credits how good the theme for young Anakin was — probably the best music of all the prequels. Anyone else notice this?

http://www.youtube.com/v/9SOk0ijHD2M

(It starts at about 7'40")

sound67

You're right. Anakin's Theme was one of the happier inventions in the three New-Hop-prequel scores.

One of the great scores of Hollywood that I never tire of listening to:

Ironic story about how this recording came about. Entr'acte Records started a poll on which classic Hollywood score was the one fans wanted a new recording of most of all. The overwhelming winner was Friedhofer's The Best Years of Our Lives. So, Entr'acte produced the new recording with the LPO, at great expense. And then nobody went to buy it. It almost ruined the company. Well, they're gone anyway now.

Thomas
"Vivaldi didn't compose 500 concertos. He composed the same concerto 500 times" - Igor Stravinsky

"Mozart is a menace to musical progress, a relic of rituals that were losing relevance in his own time and are meaningless to ours." - Norman Lebrecht

Renfield

Quote from: Corey on March 22, 2009, 11:27:51 AM
Played Star Wars Episode One in the video store the other day and noticed during the ending credits how good the theme for young Anakin was — probably the best music of all the prequels. Anyone else notice this?

http://www.youtube.com/v/9SOk0ijHD2M

(It starts at about 7'40")

Indeed. And more so, it's a variation of the Imperial March, a.k.a. Vader's theme, intended to musically foreshadow Anakin's fall to the dark side.

(Yes, Star Wars nerd, guilty as charged.)

Benji

Quote from: Renfield on March 24, 2009, 08:37:41 AM
Indeed. And more so, it's a variation of the Imperial March, a.k.a. Vader's theme, intended to musically foreshadow Anakin's fall to the dark side.

(Yes, Star Wars nerd, guilty as charged.)

You're in good company!  ;)

But, are you geeky enough to own this recording?  ;D

It's by Joel McNeely rather than John Williams and it's actually alright but not especially memorable unfortunately.

Renfield

Quote from: Benji on March 24, 2009, 11:36:08 AM
You're in good company!  ;)

It's by Joel McNeely rather than John Williams and it's actually alright but not especially memorable unfortunately.

I'm geeky enough to have heard of it. ;D

(And I love that Vader-Luke emote. )

Kullervo

I remember the video game. Never read the book, though.

Bogey

Quote from: Benji on March 24, 2009, 11:36:08 AM

Nope.  Only the original will do.....now that is true geekness. ;D  Have the Phantom Menace on the shelf....Williams, of course, and episodes 4-6.  Missing 2 and 3.  Have also flirted with picking up this:

I figured that it would be nice to own the only thing redeemable dealing with this film. ;)

Wonder if you could do some photo shopping with the cat and this mug, Benji?

Bogey

I will take a listen to the queue, Corey, as the End Credits are listed on this cd above.  Not the ultimate collection, but it should do in a pinch.

Benji

Quote from: Bogey on March 24, 2009, 04:02:58 PM
Nope.  Only the original will do.....now that is true geekness. ;D  Have the Phantom Menace on the shelf....Williams, of course, and episodes 4-6.  Missing 2 and 3.  Have also flirted with picking up this:

I figured that it would be nice to own the only thing redeemable dealing with this film. ;)

I have that, but I wouldn't recommend it. There is some good music on it that isn't on the single disc release, but it's pretty much just a rip of the DVD soundtrack, complete with cack-handed editing by George Lucas that obliterates the flow of the music. Steven Spielberg had respect enough to edit his films around the the music, in examples such as E.T. and Close Encounters, to great effect (can you imagine the bicycle chase in E.T. any other way?!). Lucas has no such respect.

If you care enough to go...*ahem*... underground, there are a number of bootlegs of the score kicking about that provide the missing music but retain the narrative flow and correct much of the editing. Presumably these have been assembled from leaked recording sessions. Not that's geeky, my friend!  ;)

QuoteWonder if you could do some photo shopping with the cat and this mug, Benji?

Worry ye not; Mog will meet Star Wars at some point in the future!  ;D