Film (movie) Music

Started by vandermolen, August 12, 2008, 12:33:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogey

Quote from: Benji on March 24, 2009, 04:28:13 PM

If you care enough to go...*ahem*... underground, there are a number of bootlegs of the score kicking about that provide the missing music but retain the narrative flow and correct much of the editing. Presumably these have been assembled from leaked recording sessions. Not that's geeky, my friend!  ;)

Good info.  It must be geeky because my pulse rate started to race reading this portion.

Worry ye not; Mog will meet Star Wars at some point in the future!  ;D

I am assuming that Mog will side with the Empire.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Benji

Quote from: Bogey on March 24, 2009, 04:05:04 PM

I will take a listen to the queue, Corey, as the End Credits are listed on this cd above.  Not the ultimate collection, but it should do in a pinch.

This disc contains most of the memorable music from the film, edited by Williams to provide a flowing listening experience but not necessarily following the order of the film. As much as the film sucked, the

Renfield has already pointed out that Anakin's theme is an inversion of Vader's theme, but did you also notice that:

- In the track Anakin defeats Sebulba (during the Pod Race), the fanfare prelude to the action (starting 0:46) is actually Jabba's theme from the ROTJ score.
- The childrens' chorus (ick!) at the beginning of the end credits are singing the Emperor's theme. The same sinister theme that that is taken up by deep bass voices in the ROTJ, but saccharine sweet just like Senator Palpatine!  :o

Benji

Quote from: Bogey on March 24, 2009, 04:38:11 PM
I am assuming that Mog will side with the Empire.

Mog sides with the highest bidder!  >:D

Bogey

Quote from: Benji on March 24, 2009, 04:42:01 PM
This disc contains most of the memorable music from the film, edited by Williams to provide a flowing listening experience but not necessarily following the order of the film. As much as the film sucked, the

Renfield has already pointed out that Anakin's theme is an inversion of Vader's theme, but did you also notice that:

- In the track Anakin defeats Sebulba (during the Pod Race), the fanfare prelude to the action (starting 0:46) is actually Jabba's theme from the ROTJ score.
- The childrens' chorus (ick!) at the beginning of the end credits are singing the Emperor's theme. The same sinister theme that that is taken up by deep bass voices in the ROTJ, but saccharine sweet just like Senator Palpatine!  :o

I am not worthy of your geekness.  :)
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Kullervo

Steven Spielberg had respect enough to edit his films around the the music, in examples such as E.T. and Close Encounters, to great effect (can you imagine the bicycle chase in E.T. any other way?!). Lucas has no such respect.

I've noticed that. There's a big chunk of music written for the beginning of Empire (after the Imperial Probe Droid lands on Hoth) that isn't even used at all. Incidentally, it's some of my favorite music from that soundtrack, which is my favorite of the six. I tried to find a video of the isolated missing music. Instead, here's the complete music for the Hoth Battle, which was also mercilessly cut up in the movie (and also completely rocks!):

http://www.youtube.com/v/iKb_pMZyr5o

Benji

Quote from: Bogey on March 24, 2009, 05:13:55 PM
I am not worthy of your geekness.  :)

Yeah, I was so eager to tell you about the hidden themes I forgot to finish a sentence.  ;D

I was just going to say that as much as the film sucked, the music is as rich thematically as any of the other SW scores, and is still one of his best scores of the late 90s/early 00s period. If it wasn't for the gem that is A.I. i'd say it was Williams' last great score. It was all a bit downhill after that (as much as I'm fond of Minority Report, it's just not a scratch on anything previous).

Benji

Quote from: Corey on March 24, 2009, 05:23:19 PM
I've noticed that. There's a big chunk of music written for the beginning of Empire (after the Imperial Probe Droid lands on Hoth) that isn't even used at all. Incidentally, it's some of my favorite music from that soundtrack, which is my favorite of the six. I tried to find a video of the isolated missing music. Instead, here's the complete music for the Hoth Battle, which was also mercilessly cut up in the movie (and also completely rocks!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKb_pMZyr5o

The Empire Strikes Back is by far and away my favourite film score by any composer, and I reckon there's not a piece of music in any genre that i've listened to as intensely and repeatedly. The scoring of the Battle of Hoth and Asteroid Chase is simply jaw-dropping and inspired; even without the images, the music tells a compelling story that never fails to engage the imagination.

Bogey

Benji,
Really enjoyed the score (and the movie) to Minority Report.  Seemed like Williams doing Herrmann, so it worked for me.  Also enjoyed his Catch Me If You can effort.  Definitely showed his range.

Corey,
Very nice on the End Credits.  Thought it was at its best when the chorus was absent.  I have to say that I am VERY surprised that you do not have as many soundtracks as you do classical pieces, Corey.  Your taste in music seems to fit this genre, or at least a plethora of film music, like a glove.  Maybe you do own a lot and I am just not aware of it?  As for The Empire Strikes Back, easily my favorite as well....and Hoth was my all time favorite Star Wars' setting.

Kullervo

Quote from: Bogey on March 24, 2009, 05:33:37 PM
Corey,
Very nice on the End Credits.  Thought it was at its best when the chorus was absent.  I have to say that I am VERY surprised that you do not have as many soundtracks as you do classical pieces, Corey.  Your taste in music seems to fit this genre, or at least a plethora of film music, like a glove.  Maybe you do own a lot and I am just not aware of it?  As for The Empire Strikes Back, easily my favorite as well....and Hoth was my all time favorite Star Wars' setting.

No, not one — which is sad considering how important the soundtracks for the Star Wars trilogy and Jurassic Park were for me in my formative years. I maintain that they've had, to this day, a lasting influence on my taste in music. Even so, today I'd rather hear soundtracks within the context of the film rather than on its own. Most film composers seem content with just a wash of chords (Hans Zimmer is really bad in this respect) with little or no variation in the orchestration (horns, strings, meh). The "Golden Age" Hollywood soundtracks are too repetitive and overbearing for me to really enjoy them.

Apart from Williams, I do think a lot of film soundtracks are good — I've listed them here on this site so many times it would be redundant to do so now. :)

Ahem, back to Star Wars — another of my favorite queues (starts at 4'40"):

http://www.youtube.com/v/5Rb2d-OSLDU&fmt=18

sound67

Six CDs chock-full of some of the greatest music Jerry Goldsmith composed. It simply doesn't get much better than this.  :)
"Vivaldi didn't compose 500 concertos. He composed the same concerto 500 times" - Igor Stravinsky

"Mozart is a menace to musical progress, a relic of rituals that were losing relevance in his own time and are meaningless to ours." - Norman Lebrecht

Benji

Quote from: Corey on March 24, 2009, 05:50:13 PM
No, not one — which is sad considering how important the soundtracks for the Star Wars trilogy and Jurassic Park were for me in my formative years. I maintain that they've had, to this day, a lasting influence on my taste in music. Even so, today I'd rather hear soundtracks within the context of the film rather than on its own. Most film composers seem content with just a wash of chords (Hans Zimmer is really bad in this respect) with little or no variation in the orchestration (horns, strings, meh). The "Golden Age" Hollywood soundtracks are too repetitive and overbearing for me to really enjoy them.

Apart from Williams, I do think a lot of film soundtracks are good — I've listed them here on this site so many times it would be redundant to do so now. :)

Ahem, back to Star Wars — another of my favorite queues (starts at 4'40"):

http://www.youtube.com/v/5Rb2d-OSLDU&fmt=18

Oh dear, there is some dodgy editing in that sequence. Corey my friend, you owe it to yourself to buy these double disc gems:

If I hadn't ripped them to my computer, these discs would have probably melted from over-use by now!  ;D

p.s. there are newer releases of these sets, with original poster style art on the covers, claiming to be deluxe remasters, but they're exactly the same as these deluxe remasters. The new ones were just released to co-incide with the films appearing on DVD for the first time.

p.p.s these special edition ones have thick little booklets with very excellent and detailed liner notes

Benji

Also, avoid any re-recordings of the music, even ones with by Williams (i.e. the Skywalker Symphony Orchestra disc), they're all a bit crap. The London Symphony Orchestra owns this music.  0:)

Benji

Ok, the clip didn't want to be embedded, so you'll have to watch it on youtube...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH5oRJKTWuc

Come on, we all do the same thing when that music comes on, am I right?  ;D

Benji

Quote from: James on March 29, 2009, 08:43:34 AM
Stars Wars is pure cheese! Stick with Holst's Planets.  ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/XVdfqEmGb8Y

;D

Well if you can't even spell it right you're not geeky enough to appreciate it!

But that clip was a hoot so i'll forgive you.  ;)

sound67

James is a creep. Forget him.
"Vivaldi didn't compose 500 concertos. He composed the same concerto 500 times" - Igor Stravinsky

"Mozart is a menace to musical progress, a relic of rituals that were losing relevance in his own time and are meaningless to ours." - Norman Lebrecht

Benji

Quote from: sound67 on March 29, 2009, 09:41:42 AM
James is a creep. Forget him.

He'll be bantha fodder if he keeps up the anti-SW talk!  ;D

Kullervo

Quote from: Benji on March 29, 2009, 08:33:51 AM
Oh dear, there is some dodgy editing in that sequence. Corey my friend, you owe it to yourself to buy these double disc gems:

If I hadn't ripped them to my computer, these discs would have probably melted from over-use by now!  ;D

p.s. there are newer releases of these sets, with original poster style art on the covers, claiming to be deluxe remasters, but they're exactly the same as these deluxe remasters. The new ones were just released to co-incide with the films appearing on DVD for the first time.

p.p.s these special edition ones have thick little booklets with very excellent and detailed liner notes

Ah, those are the ones I grew up on! My best friend at the time got those (I guess his parents bought them for him) after the Special Editions came out. I made copies of all of them on tape and listened for hours on a boombox with my ear next to the speaker. ;D

Benji

Quote from: Corey on March 29, 2009, 02:24:33 PM
Ah, those are the ones I grew up on! My best friend at the time got those (I guess his parents bought them for him) after the Special Editions came out. I made copies of all of them on tape and listened for hours on a boombox with my ear next to the speaker. ;D

I got mine all in one go in my first week of uni! Student loan cheque - ka ching!  ;D

sound67

Celebrated film composer Maurice Jarre has passed away at age 84.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7971223.stm

Just six weeks after he attended the Berlinale to pick up his honorary "Golden Bear".  :(

Some of his scores and individual tracks, especially "Building the Barn" from WITNESS, "Main Title" from IS PARIS BURNING? and the theme from VILLA RIDES, I will always remnber - even if his sometimes convoluted textures (e.g. the over-orchestration of LAWRENCE OF ARABIA) and some of his 1980s synthesizer scores are not my cuip of tea.

Listening to:

Thomas

Bogey

Quote from: sound67 on March 30, 2009, 05:28:39 AM
Celebrated film composer Maurice Jarre has passed away at age 84.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7971223.stm

Just six weeks after he attended the Berlinale to pick up his honorary "Golden Bear".  :(

Some of his scores and individual tracks, especially "Building the Barn" from WITNESS, "Main Title" from IS PARIS BURNING? and the theme from VILLA RIDES, I will always remnber - even if his sometimes convoluted textures (e.g. the over-orchestration of LAWRENCE OF ARABIA) and some of his 1980s synthesizer scores are not my cuip of tea.

Thomas

Discussing the soundtrack to Firefox on another thread, Thomas.  Maybe you can help:

Quote from: RussellG on March 30, 2009, 05:17:39 AM
There's a broad range of scores on this 2-disc set, but not Firefox.  I didn't realise he did that movie.  I remember loving the book but thinking the movie was just OK.  Is the music worth a listen?

This is quite beautifully played by (for the most part) the City of Prague Philharmonic:  http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Maurice-Jarre-Film-Collection/dp/B00004NRRB/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1238418770&sr=1-1

It has never been released on cd, or on any format for that reason I believe, Russel. http://www.soundtrackcollector.com/forum/displayquestion.php?topicid=2737

Was hopeful that there was a snippet of the music on your compilation.  They like to do that sometimes so folks like ourselves will buy the cd for a 2 minute queue.

I enjoyed the movie, but like yourself, the Craig Thomas book I thought better.  Did you ever read Firefox Down, the sequal.  Also a very good read.