Film (movie) Music

Started by vandermolen, August 12, 2008, 12:33:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

schweitzeralan

Quote from: vandermolen on August 12, 2008, 12:33:38 AM
What are you favourite film scores?

Some of mine are:

Conan the Barbarian: (Poledouris), a great score, like Prokofiev's "Alexander Nevsky" (really!)

The Heiress: Copland

Ivan the Terribe: Prokofiev

War and Peace (Russian): Ovchinnikov (wish it was on CD)

Shawshank Redemption/Green Mile: Thomas Newman

2001 A Space Odyssey: Ligeti etc

Dead of Night: Auric

The Cruel Sea: Rawsthorne

There are many more, but that will do for now.

Recently I posted a query about the work,"On the Banks of thr Vistula," and noted there was a strong similarity to one of the music themes by Jerry Livingston in the 1959 film, "The Hanging Tree,"  starring Gary Cooper.  There seems to be a strong resemblance between Lyatoshinsky's variation on the Polish folk song and the background music for a forgotten 1959 film.  Just a coincidence, I assume.  The music is somehow quite moving, at least to this listener.  Nobody responded to my earlier posting, but I was just curious.

vandermolen

Quote from: schweitzeralan on July 04, 2009, 03:36:26 AM

Recently I posted a query about the work,"On the Banks of thr Vistula," and noted there was a strong similarity to one of the music themes by Jerry Livingston in the 1959 film, "The Hanging Tree,"  starring Gary Cooper.  There seems to be a strong resemblance between Lyatoshinsky's variation on the Polish folk song and the background music for a forgotten 1959 film.  Just a coincidence, I assume.  The music is somehow quite moving, at least to this listener.  Nobody responded to my earlier posting, but I was just curious.

How very interesting! I don't know the movie but am a great admirer of Lyatoshinsky's music. I recently noticed the thematic connection between the opening of Vaughan Williams's 9th Symphony and the start on one of Walter Piston's New England Pictures (neither being movie scores of course!) - I then discovered that both works came from 1958, which interested me
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

schweitzeralan

Quote from: vandermolen on July 04, 2009, 03:51:18 AM
How very interesting! I don't know the movie but am a great admirer of Lyatoshinsky's music. I recently noticed the thematic connection between the opening of Vaughan Williams's 9th Symphony and the start on one of Walter Piston's New England Pictures (neither being movie scores of course!) - I then discovered that both works came from 1958, which interested me

Thanks for the reply.  I just ordered the Lyatoshinsky 5th Symphony.  Wonderful composer.  I'm also going to check out this possible "Vistula" link to Polish folk music.  I'm sure the film scores similarity (which is all too brief) to the Lyatoshinsky theme is quite desultory and have nothing in common regarding any folk sources.  Yet the Lyatoshinsky work (recorded with the 4th Symphony) is a wonderful musical experience. At least to me.  "A chaqu'n son gout."

vandermolen

Quote from: schweitzeralan on July 04, 2009, 06:03:04 AM
Thanks for the reply.  I just ordered the Lyatoshinsky 5th Symphony.  Wonderful composer.  I'm also going to check out this possible "Vistula" link to Polish folk music.  I'm sure the film scores similarity (which is all too brief) to the Lyatoshinsky theme is quite desultory and have nothing in common regarding any folk sources.  Yet the Lyatoshinsky work (recorded with the 4th Symphony) is a wonderful musical experience. At least to me.  "A chaqu'n son gout."

I will listen to 'On the Banks of the Vistula' again (I have the old Russian Disc and Marco Polo recordings of the symphonies) Symphony No 3 is my favourite but, like the Tubin symphonies, they are all good.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

schweitzeralan

Quote from: vandermolen on July 04, 2009, 06:45:43 AM
I will listen to 'On the Banks of the Vistula' again (I have the old Russian Disc and Marco Polo recordings of the symphonies) Symphony No 3 is my favourite but, like the Tubin symphonies, they are all good.

Perhaps there is no "Vistula" folk song.  Lyatoshinsky alone conceived the melody.  Checked in various sources involving the river banks of the river and found that there were several WW II insights.  So many composers did utilize folk music in their involved classical creations.  Now that is a vast theme and probably is already threaded.

Bogey

Just picked up this re-pressed soundtrack.  The original vinyl goes for decent bucks.  The platter was only 9.

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Coopmv

Bill, Good evening.  I have been watching this DVD that just arrived 2 days ago.  Symphonies Nos. 1 & 8 were excellent.  I will watch No. 9 after dinner.

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Benji

Has anyone heard a score from the last year or two, or three even, that is actually worth hearing in isolation from the film?

Film music used to make up a fair portion of my listening time, much of it new, but I really struggle to find a really outstanding score from the last few years. The most recent I can think of at the moment is The Village (James Newton Howard), and that was 2004! After the success of Lord of the Rings I had high hopes for the future of grand orchestral film scoring but, perhaps predictably, the studios still turn to Hans Zimmer and his disciples/clones for their bargain basement electronic bumpf.

The biggest disappointment was Star Trek earlier this year. All that suceeded in doing was make me aware of how sorely missed Jerry Goldsmith is.

Bogey

Great question, Benji.  I believe there are only a handful.  Here are a couple, but even these are past your paremeters:

Bogey

Now this is a 1958 film, but the cd only was released in 2007 ;D:

Bogey

Quote from: Benji on October 21, 2009, 08:31:37 AM
All that suceeded in doing was make me aware of how sorely missed Jerry Goldsmith is.

Yup.

vandermolen

I haven't bought a movie soundtrack in a long time (apart from a Franz Waxman box set). The last 'recent' movie soundtrack I bought was probably 'Narnia' or 'Little Miss Sunshine'.

Air

The film version of Alexander Nevsky has been often overlooked by the Cantata, but in my opinion is far better!  Eisenstein's collaboration with Prokofiev has been a model for many modern films as well.

Anyways, it's hard to find a copy of Nevsky with great sound.   :(
"Summit or death, either way, I win." ~ Robert Schumann

knight66

I assume you mean of the film.

The cantata has a number of recordings with excellent sound. Jarvi and Abbado are but two.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Sorin Eushayson

vandermolen

Quote from: RexRichter on October 24, 2009, 10:58:17 AM
The film version of Alexander Nevsky has been often overlooked by the Cantata, but in my opinion is far better!  Eisenstein's collaboration with Prokofiev has been a model for many modern films as well.

Anyways, it's hard to find a copy of Nevsky with great sound.   :(

It is good but actually I prefer Prokofiev's score to 'Ivan the Terrible'.

Bogey

Continuing score listening:

Less than average for a super hero score, with a few tracks that range above. Death Camp and Magneto's Lair worth the listen. Techno layer just does not work here and orchestra should have been left alone to carry the day.  1 out of 5 stars.

Bogey

A somewhat put aside William's score.  Though I found the movie nearly unwatchable, the music, save a couple of queues work nicely.  Think Harry Potter with a dash of Home Alone, but not as memorable.   3 out of 5 stars here.

Bogey

Another from John Williams:

Could not hear a "William's footprint" on this one.  Dark and foreboding throughout most of the score.  The last two tracks were average, but the rest was excellent!  4 out of 5 stars.