Film (movie) Music

Started by vandermolen, August 12, 2008, 12:33:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

Image is blocked for me, Bill; which movie is't?

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 10, 2010, 06:01:36 AM
Image is blocked for me, Bill; which movie is't?

In Bill's absence, I'll reply: Nixon.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

vandermolen

Just bought this - one of Jerry Goldsmith's best scores I think:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

karlhenning

Thanks, Sarge!  Why is Bill absent?  Out on a plumbing assignment? . . .

Cato

Quote from: Bogey on March 09, 2010, 08:40:00 PM
Another from John Williams:

Could not hear a "William's footprint" on this one.  Dark and foreboding throughout most of the score.  The last two tracks were average, but the rest was excellent!  4 out of 5 stars.

I have always thought that one of the best scores by John Williams was for Brian DePalma's wild psychic-psycho-drama The Fury from the late '70's.

Kirk Douglas, John Cassavetes, and Charles Durning!

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 10, 2010, 10:36:49 AM

;D  I don't know. I just read your post, noticed Bill wasn't online, and decided to answer.

Sarge

drogulus

Ennio Morricone wrote a great score for The Thing, a scifi/horror film by John Carpenter that has achieved classic status, though it wasn't much noticed when it was released in 1982.

Yes, you're such a good doggie...

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Bogey

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 10, 2010, 10:36:49 AM

Now that is funny!
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bogey

When I put on an Elfman cd, I have come to expect brilliance and the unexpected.  This score had neither.  The Main Title was not bad, but it suffered from having too much of his Batman in it.  The End Credits did a bit better with this, but that was track 15.  2-14 were not memorable.  Not bad, but not memorable.  2 out of 5 stars here.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bogey

Quote from: Cato on March 10, 2010, 12:36:44 PM

I have always thought that one of the best scores by John Williams was for Brian DePalma's wild psychic-psycho-drama The Fury from the late '70's.

Kirk Douglas, John Cassavetes, and Charles Durning!

I have heard only wonderful things about the music.  I will put this on my wish-list....but not the enhanced version:

http://www.amazon.com/Fury-John-Williams/dp/B000063BNL/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1268269523&sr=1-3   :o

Bogey

Quote from: drogulus on March 10, 2010, 01:35:33 PM
     Ennio Morricone wrote a great score for The Thing, a scifi/horror film by John Carpenter that has achieved classic status, though it wasn't much noticed when it was released in 1982.

Yes, you're such a good doggie...

Doggone it!

http://www.amazon.com/Thing-Original-Motion-Picture-Soundtrack/dp/B0000014RQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1268269653&sr=1-1

Bogey

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 10, 2010, 12:48:14 PM
;D  I don't know. I just read your post, noticed Bill wasn't online, and decided to answer.

Sarge

Thank you, Henry. ;)

karlhenning

Bogey

An easy 5 out of 5 stars.  Some great "Conti-grooves" along with fun piano pieces backed by orchestra.  Even the four "songs" on the cd work.  In fact, the second, "Sinnerman " queues my favorite scene from the movie (of which I love).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0KK0msnLhw

Wish the tracks were sequential on the disc, but a minor nuisance.

PS Did not care for the original.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Bogey on March 10, 2010, 05:44:20 PM
PS Did not care for the original.

Not even Windmills of Your Miind? That's one of my favorite 60s pop songs...won the Oscar for best song too (although that might be counted against it  ;D )

Sarge

Bogey

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 11, 2010, 01:53:56 AM
Not even Windmills of Your Miind? That's one of my favorite 60s pop songs...won the Oscar for best song too (although that might be counted against it  ;D )

Sarge

Oh, I a was referring to the movie, Sarge.  The soundtrack may just work. ;D  Sting redoes this song on the one above.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Bogey on March 11, 2010, 03:11:39 AM
Oh, I a was referring to the movie, Sarge.

Wow...I am shocked now. You prefer Brosnan/Russo to McQueen/Dunaway?  :o  The Apocalypse is nigh!...

:) ;D

I admit my love of the earlier version says more about my mental state, my love life--or lack thereof--in 1968/69 than a belief the film was superior.  Dunaway's shock when she realizes she's been betrayed, and the cut to McQueen's smile as his plane whisks him away was vicarious revenge for me  8)  That image has stayed in my mind all these years. The newer film wasn't as memorable. I can't even recall how it ends.

Sarge

Cato

Quote from: Bogey on March 10, 2010, 04:07:08 PM
I have heard only wonderful things about the music.  I will put this on my wish-list....but not the enhanced version:

http://www.amazon.com/Fury-John-Williams/dp/B000063BNL/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1268269523&sr=1-3   :o

I see why!  $100 + is a little steep!   $:)

If you would want to take a chance on a cassette tape, two are available for under $15.00:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00000EXTP/ref=dp_olp_1
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Bogey

Quote from: Cato on March 11, 2010, 08:37:12 AM
I see why!  $100 + is a little steep!   $:)

If you would want to take a chance on a cassette tape, two are available for under $15.00:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00000EXTP/ref=dp_olp_1

There are decently priced ones for the un-enhanced, so I may go that route. :)

Bogey

Jazzy spy music....right up my alley.  However, I was disappointed with the overall output.  Not enough range and with the exception of some gimmicky masking over with ports of call music, everything seemed to have run together.  However, still 2 out of 5 stars on this one in putting together all the music you could possibly want from this show.