Film (movie) Music

Started by vandermolen, August 12, 2008, 12:33:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaakko Keskinen

Ennio Morricone: Dollars Trilogy, Once upon a time-Trilogy, My name is nobody.

John Williams: Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park, E.T.

James Horner: Mask of Zorro, Wrath of KHHHHHAAAAAANNNN, Titanic.

Danny Elfman: Spiderman movies, Batman, Beetlejuice.

Alan Silvestri: Back to the future, Forrest Gump.

John Barry: Several Bond movies. Btw: R.I.P.

Klaus Badelt: PotC.

Nino Rota: Godfather 1 & 2.

Bernard Herrmann: Psycho, Citizen Kane, Vertigo, the man who knew too much.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Bogey

Quote from: Alberich on March 03, 2011, 10:23:15 PM
Wrath of KHHHHHAAAAAANNNN
;D

Just snagged this one last night and giving it a second spin.  The sound and the score are fabulous..  The use of the Royal microphones from the 1920's was brilliant!

http://www.abbeyroad.com/news/story/?newsid=146
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bogey

Got this one from Shore spinning....really enjoyed this film as well.

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bogey

schweitzeralan

Quote from: Alberich on March 03, 2011, 10:23:15 PM
Ennio Morricone: Dollars Trilogy, Once upon a time-Trilogy, My name is nobody.

John Williams: Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park, E.T.

James Horner: Mask of Zorro, Wrath of KHHHHHAAAAAANNNN, Titanic.

Danny Elfman: Spiderman movies, Batman, Beetlejuice.

Alan Silvestri: Back to the future, Forrest Gump.

John Barry: Several Bond movies. Btw: R.I.P.

Klaus Badelt: PotC.

Nino Rota: Godfather 1 & 2.

Bernard Herrmann: Psycho, Citizen Kane, Vertigo, the man who knew too much.

I just saw the film "Obsession."  Bernard Herman's score is quite powerful.  I also own his symphony.  a significant composer.

Bogey

Just grabbed this piece of vinyl:

Does not seem to be on cd.

Bogey

Another Alex North effort:

Cato

Franz Waxman's Taras Bulba score can be sampled here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrPZvpzmOVg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Apparently a new CD will be available.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

karlhenning

Interesting bit about William Walton (not a 'game-changer' for this thread, of course).  Source is Wikipedia, so . . . open to confirmation or refutation:

QuoteHe wrote scores for six films during the war – some that he thought "rather boring" and some that have become classics such as The First of the Few (1942) and Laurence Olivier's adaptation of Shakespeare's Henry V (1944). Walton was at first dismissive of his film scores, regarding them as professional but of no intrinsic worth; he resisted attempts to arrange them into concert suites, saying, "Film music is not good film music if it can be used for any other purpose." He later relented to the extent of allowing concert suites to be arranged from The First of the Few and the Olivier Shakespeare films.

Grazioso

Quote from: Apollon on March 09, 2011, 12:43:15 PM
Interesting bit about William Walton (not a 'game-changer' for this thread, of course).  Source is Wikipedia, so . . . open to confirmation or refutation:

Interesting interview with Aaron Copland:

http://www.runmovies.eu/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=117:aaron-copland-talks-about-film-music&catid=35:interviews&ltemid=55

QuoteRoger Hall: You put together a concert suite, 'Music for Movies'. Is that like other suites you did, such as from your ballet score, Appalachian Spring?
Aaron Copland: Yes, it's very similar.

Roger Hall: Some past film composers believed that you shouldn't be too aware of the music.
Aaron Copland: I believe too that it shouldn't take up so much of your attention that you stop thinking about the film. It's a high art, I think, to write a really effective film score that doesn't get in the way and serves a fully emotional purpose.

There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Grazioso

Quote from: James on March 12, 2011, 05:25:08 AM
Dusty old meaningless quotes ...obviously it isn't a true 'high musical art' .. This thread should actually be in the Diner section of the forum where the rest of the pop cul. & movie stuff resides. "shouldn't take up your attention ... music that doesn't get in the way & serves a fully emotional purpose" (to artificially support all of what's happening on the screen) is telling & pretty much sums it up - background decor in other words.

Your snide and uninformed comments about film music (actually, about a variety of musics) have already been systematically refuted in other threads. Vide http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,15153.0.html

The way you repeatedly resort to mockery or arrogant dismissal says more about you than the music. And to use "dusty old" as a pejorative among fans of classical music is rather odd: Bach and Beethoven's music is dusty and old, but I have to say, it's not bad :) Odd, too, to dismiss quotes from major classical composers who created film music, i.e., experts on the subject.

Grazioso

Quote from: James on March 12, 2011, 08:36:06 AM
Yea .. systematically refuted with a lot of hot air. Keep desperately trying to prop up the film fluff with more wind. Your logic on this is so flawed,hopefully one day you'll come around. Again .. "shouldn't take up your attention ... music that doesn't get in the way & serves a fully emotional purpose" (to artificially support all of what's happening on the screen) is telling & pretty much sums it up - background decor in other words.

Hmm, for a "dusty old meaningless quote," you sure like to quote it. Does that mean your point is meaningless? :) Unfortunate, too, that you edit and add to what Copland says.

What, btw, is my flawed logic?

I wonder why you feel the need to repeatedly pop up in threads and dismiss or mock things you dislike. Are your taste and judgment really so refined that we all need to keep hearing about them? I don't care for the rap I've heard, to use an example, but I certainly don't make a point of telling people rap is bad or not "high" art, first out of courtesy to those who do enjoy it, and secondly because I'm very far from an expert on it. Only after spending years listening to it, performing it, studying it, and immersing myself in the culture might I be in a position to offer a nuanced, considered opinion.

Like Socrates said, you're only wise insofar as you recognize your ignorance.

jochanaan

Quote from: James on March 12, 2011, 12:49:18 PM
I was stuffing that 'google dropping' back in your face because it's basically stating what it truly is. Read it & think (for yourself if possible).
We do think for ourselves, James.  That's how we come to different conclusions than you do. :)
Imagination + discipline = creativity

The new erato

Quote from: jochanaan on March 12, 2011, 03:10:30 PM
We do think for ourselves, James.  That's how we come to different conclusions than you do. :)
Good riposte!

eyeresist

Hi, I've been looking into film music again recently, and have some questions for the panel:

1) There are two rerecordings of the Lawrence of Arabia score, one conducted by Bremner and one by Nic Raine. Any preference? (I understand the original issue of the Bremner had problematic sound, but assume this is fixed in the reissue.)

2) Raine has also recorded the complete score of Conan the Barbarian. Is this good enough that I can I opt for this in preference to the (incomplete) issue of the original?

Many thanks.

Grazioso

Quote from: eyeresist on March 14, 2011, 04:51:48 PM
2) Raine has also recorded the complete score of Conan the Barbarian. Is this good enough that I can I opt for this in preference to the (incomplete) issue of the original?

I'm interested to learn this, too. It's one of the great film scores, but the old Varese Sarabande release sounded pretty darn tinny to my ears.

Mirror Image

There's actually a lot of good film music out there, especially in the older films. I think to dismiss it out-of-hand without giving a fair shot to begin with is very immature. Film music covers a wide variety of music. A few great film scores that pop in my mind are Arnold's The Bridge On River Kwai, Alwyn's The Odd Man Out, almost all of the Ennio Morricone scores I've encountered, Jerry Goldsmith's great scores like Chinatown, Star Trek, The Omen, Rambo: First Blood, to name a few. Whether one thinks its high art or low art is totally irrelevant in the end, the question is have you actually listened to the music on its own terms and most of the film music I've heard could very well stand on it's own. I think James' attitude about this is disappointing. How could someone who is as old as he says he is be so ignorant?

Grazioso

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 15, 2011, 07:42:01 PM
name a few. Whether one thinks its high art or low art is totally irrelevant in the end, the question is have you actually listened to the music on its own terms and most of the film music I've heard could very well stand on it's own. I think James' attitude about this is disappointing. How could someone who is as old as he says he is be so ignorant?

You raise an interesting point. I think you're absolutely right in that the fair--and often the most edifying--way to approach an art form is to get inside it and approach it on its own terms instead of through alien criteria. You also say that most of the film music you've heard stands well on its own, and while I don't disagree, I worry about approaching it from that direction. Then people start judging it by the expectations of stand-alone concert music, standards that don't always apply since a score is designed to act in conjunction with all the other aspects of a film: script, photography, production design, editing, etc. Whether or not a score can stand alone--and how precisely does one define that?--doesn't necessarily speak to its quality or worth. What does speak to its success is how well it helps create the Gesamtkunstwerk, so to speak.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Grazioso on March 16, 2011, 05:14:10 AM
You raise an interesting point. I think you're absolutely right in that the fair--and often the most edifying--way to approach an art form is to get inside it and approach it on its own terms instead of through alien criteria. You also say that most of the film music you've heard stands well on its own, and while I don't disagree, I worry about approaching it from that direction. Then people start judging it by the expectations of stand-alone concert music, standards that don't always apply since a score is designed to act in conjunction with all the other aspects of a film: script, photography, production design, editing, etc. Whether or not a score can stand alone--and how precisely does one define that?--doesn't necessarily speak to its quality or worth. What does speak to its success is how well it helps create the Gesamtkunstwerk, so to speak.

I just enjoy the music regardless of what its purpose is or isn't. I've heard a ton of supposed "ballet music" that it makes me wonder how it could be performed as a ballet. In most cases, conductors turn the ballet into more of a concert piece instead of what it was originally intended for and I'm perfectly find with that. All that matters to me, in the end, is does it move me emotionally and intellectually? If music does this for me, then it doesn't matter if it's a symphony, a concerto, a ballet, or a film score.

Grazioso

Quote from: James on March 16, 2011, 10:59:11 AM
On a serious level - no soundtrack stuff - has ever been able to this for me [emphasis added]. VERY low mileage .. and music-making of this sort just will never have the ability to make a deep and lasting impression. It doesn't have the right fuel to begin with, for that ...

You confuse your personal experiences with universal truths.

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 16, 2011, 10:41:05 AM
I just enjoy the music regardless of what its purpose is or isn't. I've heard a ton of supposed "ballet music" that it makes me wonder how it could be performed as a ballet. In most cases, conductors turn the ballet into more of a concert piece instead of what it was originally intended for and I'm perfectly find with that. All that matters to me, in the end, is does it move me emotionally and intellectually? If music does this for me, then it doesn't matter if it's a symphony, a concerto, a ballet, or a film score.

I understand. I too listen to music first and foremost for pleasure. But when one seeks to judge a film score, I think it's relevant and fair to discuss it in context. Even if a film score doesn't provide a lot of stand-alone listening enjoyment, that doesn't mean it's failed since it was created for a different purpose.