Film (movie) Music

Started by vandermolen, August 12, 2008, 12:33:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jochanaan

Quote from: James on March 16, 2011, 10:59:11 AM
On a serious level - no soundtrack stuff - has ever been able to this for me. VERY low mileage .. and music-making of this sort just will never have the ability to make a deep and lasting impression. It doesn't have the right fuel to begin with, for that ...
Let me give you a hypothetical situation:

You and I go to see a new movie at the same theater on the same night, with music by a leading contemporary composer.  You are unmoved by the soundtrack, while I listen enthralled.  Now, which of our experiences is valid?

Before you answer, let me remind you that I have a college degree in music and three decades' experience playing in orchestras and bands...(This last is NOT hypothetical! :))
Imagination + discipline = creativity

Mirror Image

Quote from: James on March 16, 2011, 10:59:11 AM
On a serious level - no soundtrack stuff - has ever been able to this for me. VERY low mileage .. and music-making of this sort just will never have the ability to make a deep and lasting impression. It doesn't have the right fuel to begin with, for that ...

James, I seldom listen to film music, not because I find it to be inferior, but because there's still so much music I want to hear. I have, however, as I mentioned in a few posts back, heard some remarkable music composed in this genre. I mean even Honegger, Vaughan Williams, Shostakovich, among others, found the time to write film music. The golden age of film music is one of great importance and a lot of it is not like it is today with all the synthesizers, samplers, etc. that we have at our disposal, but these composers wrote music for an orchestra to play to accompany the film. You may not respect the art, but I do and I also understand its history and why it was an important step forward as another medium for a composer to express themselves creatively.

Grazioso

Quote from: jochanaan on March 16, 2011, 11:16:29 AM
Let me give you a hypothetical situation:

You and I go to see a new movie at the same theater on the same night, with music by a leading contemporary composer.  You are unmoved by the soundtrack, while I listen enthralled.  Now, which of our experiences is valid?

Before you answer, let me remind you that I have a college degree in music and three decades' experience playing in orchestras and bands...(This last is NOT hypothetical! :))

James is always right. How dare you?  ;D
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Grazioso

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 16, 2011, 11:23:53 AM
I mean even Honegger, Vaughan Williams, Shostakovich, among others, found to time to write film music.

And then there's Prokofiev, Arnold, Korngold, Bax, Walton, Copland, Schnittke, Madetoja, Corigliano, Bernstein, Takemitsu, Glass, Ibert, to name but a few. And Schoenberg wanted to.

As a side note, orchestral video game scores merit attention:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/28/arts/music/28schw.html
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

karlhenning

Why just the other day I revisited the Lt Kizhe Suite. Nothing second-rate about that film music.

Mirror Image

Quote from: James on March 16, 2011, 11:44:46 AM
In a lesser more subservient manor of course .. and to have a job & collect a paycheck basically. And it doesn't matter what it's played on, or who's involved - that's besides the point. As far as 'real' music-making goes it's merely artifical and decorative when you get right down to it. It really is just a byproduct of popular culture showbiz, it's not really deep musically artistic material.

Well nobody is going to change your mind about the music, so therefore, it's quite pointless to argue with somebody whose opinion is based upon nothing but a couple of ridiculous assertions that have nothing to do with the actual music. Film music is a legitimate art as many composers looked to it to get outside of their box. Yes, some wrote it to make money, because they just weren't making enough to get by and not all composers were fortunate enough to hold a teaching post at a university, but making a quick buck can be said of concert music as well. Ravel reportedly hated Bolero, but he made a lot of money from it, so your whole argument is pretty much null and void in this regard.

Mirror Image

Quote from: James on March 16, 2011, 12:19:45 PM

No it's entirely based on what I have heard (i.e. the music).

Sure you have.  ::)

Quote from: James on March 16, 2011, 12:19:45 PMFilm can provide work for those musicians needing it essentially. It truly has nothing to do with deeply artistic music-making as I said before.

As I said, nobody can convince of the merits of film music, but, then again, with your narrow-minded outlook, who would want to try? Your attitude is essentially the same in every one of your arguments: you're right and everybody else is wrong.

I'm starting to highly doubt this "James" is actually 60 years old as it says on his homepage.

Mirror Image

Quote from: James on March 16, 2011, 12:28:42 PM
It would be real easy actually, name me some music from a film that exceeds all expectations. I really don't think that can be done.

I already mentioned some in an earlier post. Like I said, it's pointless to argue with somebody who is as narrow-minded as you are.

bhodges

Since Salonen is in town with the New York Philharmonic, I have been reminded of this recording, which has been mentioned before. Although it only includes excerpts, rather than entire scores, Salonen gets some great results from the Los Angeles Philharmonic. I think it's worth it for the segments from Vertigo alone.

[asin]B0000029TH[/asin]

--Bruce

jochanaan

Quote from: James on March 16, 2011, 12:28:42 PM
It would be real easy actually, name me some music from a film that exceeds all expectations...
1.  Been there, done that.

2.  Why should we, when you haven't yet responded to my hypothetical situation? ???
Imagination + discipline = creativity

Scarpia

Quote from: James on March 16, 2011, 03:02:20 PMI go to a movie because I buy into to the concept/premise of the story, that's why I go ... so that's what I'm primarily focused-on and interested in. So the set-up to have a mind blowing experience on purely musical grounds is a non-starter because it's not really about the music.

So it's all about you.  Since you are not interested in the music in movies, it can't possibly be good.   ::)

Scarpia

Quote from: James on March 16, 2011, 03:29:00 PM
I never said that, but we really haven't experienced anything truly 'great' or 'major' as far as music is concerned. And I doubt we ever will. But then again, any musician who signs up for a gig in film knows major artistic compromises must be made, and that the focus isn't serious music-making, first & foremost.

JSB signed up for a "gig" to provide boring music for church every Sunday, and for funerals.  It didn't prevent him from writing some extraordinary music.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on March 16, 2011, 03:32:14 PM
JSB signed up for a "gig" to provide boring music for church every Sunday, and for funerals.  It didn't prevent him from writing some extraordinary music.

The same could be said of Bruckner playing organ at Linz Cathedral and so many other composers. James' logic just confuses me, but it's like I said, he's right, and everybody else is wrong.

Scarpia

Quote from: James on March 16, 2011, 03:41:56 PM
And 260 years later its still full of great mystery & beauty etc. ..  will any soundtrack stuff measure up when stacked up to the untouchable JSB ? Never. It an absolutely meaningless affair in comparison.

I hope you will excuse me if I decline to take your word for it.

Mirror Image

Quote from: James on March 16, 2011, 03:41:56 PM
And 260 years later its still full of great mystery & beauty etc. ..  will any soundtrack stuff measure up when stacked up to the untouchable JSB ? Never. It an absolutely meaningless affair in comparison.

Again, everybody is wrong, but you, James. Relish in your superior opinion while we all continue to laugh at how foolish that opinion actually is, especially given the absurdity that surrounds it.

Scarpia

Quote from: James on March 16, 2011, 03:57:09 PM
You don't have to take my word for it. It's reality.

Yes, your opinion is reality, that's the crux of it.   :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: James on March 16, 2011, 03:57:09 PM
You don't have to take my word for it. It's reality. Given the nature of showbiz, what it's made-of, & it's track record thus far - I KNOW - it can never approach Bach's deep ever growing and expanding importance & stature ..

James, you continue to post, but nothing is being said that we didn't already know. We understand that you have problems accepting and understanding that the world doesn't revolve around you and your high and mighty opinion. Please just go troll on another thread.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on March 16, 2011, 03:58:13 PM
Yes, your opinion is reality, that's the crux of it.   :)

James' signature says everything about him: "Everybody is entitled to their opinion. It's just that yours is stupid." I hope I don't act this way at the age of "60."  ::)

Mirror Image

Quote from: James on March 16, 2011, 04:05:32 PM
The fact that Bach's been around this long is a fact of reality. It has nothing to do with my opinion. And when I say no soundtracks could ever touch that .. is also a fact of reality.

Music is one giant competition to you isn't it, James? It's always a matter of what is better or whose composition is better. I mean do you ever just sit back and enjoy music without your constant need to criticize it? Seriously if you don't like film music and don't respect the art, then why are you still on this thread? Don't you have more constructive things to do like play bingo or something?

You exhibit such wisdom for someone who is in their 60s. Wow, I want to be like you when I grow up! ::) NOT!!!! :P

Mirror Image

Quote from: James on March 16, 2011, 04:26:04 PM
I care about it too much to just simply take it all in mindlessly. Critical thinking, and judging by comparison is just so reality.

I do the same things, but sometimes, I just want to hear the music on its own terms.