Film (movie) Music

Started by vandermolen, August 12, 2008, 12:33:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philoctetes

Quote from: James on March 21, 2011, 06:59:07 PM
Oh very apt, that's exactly what you are.

I'll have to disagree, but perhaps you're not astute enough to pick up on the obviousness of your flaw.

Philoctetes

Quote from: James on March 21, 2011, 07:02:45 PM
Says the dope who adds nothing the conversation.

Whatever, flea. Go away.

You've somehow fallen behind or perhaps it's simply a redundancy pattern. I know the simple tend to fall into those type of ruts.

Philoctetes

Quote from: James on March 21, 2011, 07:06:05 PM
What do you do all day, I wonder.

Wonder no more, my child: school and volunteering.

Philoctetes

Quote from: James on March 21, 2011, 07:09:21 PM
I feel sorry for those kids.

My son, I don't work with children.

Philoctetes

Philoctetes

Quote from: James on March 21, 2011, 07:16:45 PM
Do you talk to people like this in the real world?

Only to the precious.

Philoctetes

Quote from: James on March 21, 2011, 07:25:56 PM
Right .. considering you are a student and you volunteer i truly doubt you know much about the real world.
I probably make more than you in a few hours than you do all month and i'm retired lol

I know a little, but I've freely admitted that elsewhere, and I have no doubt that you make more money than I, although I don't really see why you mentioned that.

westknife

Mirror Image

At the rate dumb and dumber are going, this thread will be locked in no time. I'm just curious what's taking the mods so long anyway?

jochanaan

Quote from: James on March 21, 2011, 03:29:59 PM
Grazioso,

You are sooo confused because you simply can't hear or understand the differences! And that the film stuff is truly not about the music for starts. The Partridge Family & Air Supply are still seen/heard today .. you have no clue bro. I've already explained myself numerous times in the simplest most straight forward manor and you refuse to THINK. You say some major confused bullshit  .. and really misunderstand what I said earlier. Just because a film (or TV show) is re-run or the company puts out a DVD, a CD, a score, a book etc means nothing about the quality and depth of the music making. You know, that exact kinda meaningless merch. exists for a lot of shit out there, merely floating out and about in the effluent .... Think now. The fact that you're on this very board, where 'real' concrete artistic stuff is discussed ad nausuem and yet still need evidence about what I'm referring to is a joke.  You don't even know what things mean to begin with, you need everything 'defined' for you; there is no point even talking at all because you don't even have a basic understanding of things in general it seems. For any music to have legs & carry any weight it's got to stand on it's own for one, otherwise it's not really about the music then is it ..
James, here's something you've missed, in simple words: None of us are claiming that film music is equal to concert music!  What we're saying is that, first, it can be enjoyable and sometimes even moving; second, that you can't compare its character and purpose with that of any other music; and finally, that it is proving to be not just "ephemera" but an enduring and valuable musical format, just as opera or "musicals" are. 

I hope that's simple enough for you, because it's my last comment on the subject.
Imagination + discipline = creativity

Mirror Image

Quote from: jochanaan on March 21, 2011, 08:38:18 PM
James, here's something you've missed, in simple words: None of us are claiming that film music is equal to concert music!  What we're saying is that, first, it can be enjoyable and sometimes even moving; second, that you can't compare its character and purpose with that of any other music; and finally, that it is proving to be not just "ephemera" but an enduring and valuable musical format, just as opera or "musicals" are. 

I hope that's simple enough for you, because it's my last comment on the subject.

You're only feeding the troll at this juncture. He does not care what other people think. His opinion is the only one that is valid.

jochanaan

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 21, 2011, 08:45:00 PM
You're only feeding the troll at this juncture. He does not care what other people think. His opinion is the only one that is valid.
You're probably right.  But I'm not writing for the troll.  I'm writing for innocent readers who may have gotten this far and still be confused by his trollery. :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: jochanaan on March 21, 2011, 08:47:51 PM
You're probably right.  But I'm not writing for the troll.  I'm writing for innocent readers who may have gotten this far and still be confused by his trollery. :)

I couldn't imagine what a newcomer to the forum would think of these last few pages of this thread. I'm sure they'll have many ??? moments.

Grazioso

Quote from: James on March 21, 2011, 03:29:59 PM
Grazioso,

You are sooo confused because you simply can't hear or understand the differences!

Sigh. Obviously, I ask the questions not because of any confusion or doubts on my part, but rather to see if you can actually back your derogatory assertions. So far, no.

And that the film stuff is truly not about the music for starts.

"The film stuff"? Interesting pejorative generalization. I still contend that you don't display any sympathy for film as art, or else you wouldn't sloppily lump it and its music together like that.

QuoteJust because a film (or TV show) is re-run or the company puts out a DVD, a CD, a score, a book etc means nothing about the quality and depth of the music making.

Of course. But recall that you were the one who trolled the thread by popping in to slag Bernstein's scores as "his cheap forgettable film ephemera". I showed that a number of his film scores are not ephemeral but still heard and enjoyed today--the very fact that people were posting about them should have shown you that.

You can talk about quality and depth and higher standards until you're blue in the face, but that literally says nothing about the music until you actually provide evidence and analysis, which you never do. When someone says "It's obvious," I hear "I don't know what I'm talking about."
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Mirror Image

Quote from: Grazioso on March 22, 2011, 05:16:05 AMYou can talk about quality and depth and higher standards until you're blue in the face, but that literally says nothing about the music until you actually provide evidence and analysis, which you never do.

This is well-written and so well argued that all I can do is just smile and nod along. The interesting thing about all of this is James doesn't even have an argument. He just continues to state the same things over and over again. He's not 60 years old, I'll tell you that, not with his immature attitude.

Mirror Image

James is not 60 years old.

karlhenning

He could be about Howard Sterns's age, though.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Apollon on March 22, 2011, 11:56:34 AM
He could be about Howard Sterns's age, though.

I seriously doubt it, because his posting style with the constant repetition and unwillingness to prove his point, sounds like someone in their late teens/early 20s.

jochanaan

Quote from: James on March 22, 2011, 11:52:44 AM
Go to your local library. Better yet, listen more actively to the music and think & reflect about what you're taking in. That should help you.
*sigh* I know, I said I had made my last comment on the subject, but this demands a response from a performing musician.  I have actually played suites from many film scores, including The Sound of Music, West Side Story, Star Wars, Titanic, Lord of the Rings, and Harry Potter.  Of those, my favorite is West Side Story--exciting and deeply moving.  I can do without Sound of Music and Lord of the Rings, but the Star Wars and Harry Potter music is surprisingly challenging and rewarding to play.

Note once again that I have NOT claimed that these scores are in any way equal to, say, the Beethoven and Mahler symphonies; only that they are fun and surprisingly gratifying both to play and to listen to--and in no way worthy of the scorn heaped on them by James and company. :) And if James and co. think I can simply play something without actively listening to it, they should play with an orchestra or band sometime!  There's no better way (except maybe conducting) to get familiar with a piece of music.

Philoctetes

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 22, 2011, 12:09:00 PM
I seriously doubt it, because his posting style with the constant repetition and unwillingness to prove his point, sounds like someone in their late teens/early 20s.

A previous poster, Iago, posted in a very same style, and was well over 60.