Film (movie) Music

Started by vandermolen, August 12, 2008, 12:33:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smitty1931

Erich Korngold. His scores for the Warner Bros films of the 30s are masterful. I recently saw Kings Row on tcm and  his score is hauntingly beautiful.

jowcol

Quote from: James on March 21, 2011, 07:06:05 PM
You definitely need to get laid, get a job and get a life. What do you do all day, i wonder.

Ruts?  Repetitive patterns?  Not possible.   The delicate shadings and calculated nuance in each post  are always treasures to be savored. Those of you who have been disparaging postings such as this are missing out on a tremendous creative flowering that rivals that of Shakespeare or Joyce.  What we have here is the linguistic equivalent of the Well Tempered Clavier to anyone who has the high standards to appreciate it.

It is a great tragedy that true artists do not get sufficient recognition in their lifetimes. 

On the Getting Laid Theme:

Quote from: James on March 31, 2010, 10:49:00 AM
Do us all a favour? Get a woman and get laid.

Quote from: James on January 25, 2010, 10:21:51 AM
Dude, I've been reading your comments lately ... do you ever get laid?

The Get a Grip  theme is will represented in the repertoire:

Quote from: James on January 02, 2010, 09:44:58 AM
Whoaa careful with that loose talk, get a grip please.

Quote from: James on July 09, 2008, 11:09:58 AM
get a grip.

Quote from: James on September 21, 2008, 09:40:08 PM
er..right. get a grip.

Quote from: James on December 05, 2009, 07:24:14 PM
Get a grip please.

As well as the development of the get a clue or cluelessness theme:

Quote from: James on February 26, 2010, 05:24:11 PM
Pfff ... so utterly clueless and deaf.

Quote from: James on April 01, 2010, 08:21:15 PM
You're so clueless. Stop acting like you're an authority or that you have any sort-of insight on this stuff. You know nothing about it at all, anyone can see that.

Quote from: James on June 18, 2008, 12:59:47 PM
sorry you dont make much sense, and it doesnt apply at all. same goes for the shit floating in this thread that i addressed a few posts up. it's the sort-of of cluelessness not even worth wasting the time on actually, if it weren't for the finger exercise.  :)

Quote from: Jamespff you really haven't got much a clue as your longwinded scribbles indicate in spades. nobody is awaiting your judgement, nobody cares....  We don't need your assessment of this, you're way late with it anyhow  (gee, you're sooo behind). Have you ever heard the expression, the emptiest vessel makes the most noise?  Pretty much sums you up here. (and that other ignoramus trolling for responses on things he has no idea about, either).

Quote from: James on October 30, 2009, 09:09:19 AM
What a moronic statement.
You have no clue whatsoever. Ditto your brain-fart about Coltrane.

Quote from: James on November 27, 2008, 03:58:31 PM
the cluelessness is pretty much self evident from the get-go. Sorry bud.

Quote from: Jameswha? troll? .  Whoopie Shit! Like that's going to matter or change anything we're talking about here. Again, get a clue.

Quote from: James on March 26, 2009, 02:11:38 PM
All you're saying is nothing, just a bunch of blah...you haven't got the slightest clue.

The Pffft Theme was commented upon before, and I'm happy to say that is has been brilliant developed over the years:

Quote from: James on June 06, 2007, 09:33:52 AM
pffff whatever....

Quote from: James on June 06, 2007, 09:33:52 AM
pffff whatever....

Quote from: James on November 09, 2008, 10:30:08 AM
pfff hardly...

Beethoven ? pfff....the epitome of DRAMA-QUEEN

Quote from: James on February 26, 2010, 05:24:11 PM
Pfff ... so utterly clueless and deaf.

Quote from: James on January 27, 2008, 02:52:35 PM
pffff

Quote from: James on May 12, 2008, 09:57:33 AM
Not necessarily? Pffffff

Quote from: James on May 13, 2008, 03:13:37 PM
Pffffffffffffffffffffffffff whatever...

Quote from: James on November 17, 2008, 07:57:10 AM
Pff.. you haven't even heard the piece at all.

Quote from: James on October 28, 2008, 10:18:17 AM
pff no, a figment of your imagination im afraid.

Quote from: James on November 27, 2008, 01:58:06 PM
pfff whatever...
Quote from: James on December 23, 2010, 10:24:09 AM
Evidence? Pfff Hardly ..

Not as  common, but equally welcome  is the brain fart theme, where the contrapunctual invention really shines forth.

Quote from: James on March 04, 2010, 11:55:55 AM
It was a major brain fart on your part tho,

Quote from: Jamesyea your brain is farting big time,

Quote from: James on April 15, 2010, 11:28:42 AM
Don't get condescending & alerting me of your upcoming Brain fart ...I don't need it, everything you say is pretty off....., I was just pointing out a major flaw in your logic, those 2 are miminal (more so) than the ones you kept off of your (silly)  list...

One of the most delightful strengths in this body of work is the creative and insightful ways the author lets us know when we are wrong.

Quote from: James on December 19, 2010, 12:27:44 PM
whats wrong with you?

Quote from: James on April 14, 2010, 04:11:17 PM
you've been proven wrongheaded and wrong every step of the way) and on top of this being condescending toward the facts, just failing to just face reality

Quote from: James on October 04, 2009, 07:01:44 AM
This is where you are so wrong in your thinking

Quote from: James on November 10, 2008, 08:06:54 AM
You're wrong.

Quote from: James on October 05, 2009, 08:31:10 AM
you're 100% wrong though.

Quote from: James on January 06, 2011, 07:28:31 PM
nah .. you got it all wrong;

Quote from: James on January 06, 2011, 06:51:10 PM
And you and they would be very wrong of course;
--I'm proud to say that I earned this one! --

As a note, the "you're way off" or "you're off base" theme is just a richly represented in the canon, as well as the perennially popular "you're stupid" theme, which never looses it's freshness or appeal.

My favorite, however, is the Maledicta, or ritualized artifacts of verbal aggression,  as this is where we witness internet artistry at its most sublime and transcendental:

Quote from: James on December 17, 2010, 08:33:30 AM
Figures, typical response from someone who has been nothing more than just 'background noise' here.

Quote from: James on March 13, 2009, 08:12:29 AM
not dismissing anything you meathead,

Quote from: James on February 12, 2009, 11:04:01 AM
thanks nut-job, i've read your example

Quote from: James on October 13, 2008, 07:21:25 AM
...still wasting time on that retard? HOLY SMOKES!

Quote from: James on August 24, 2008, 10:45:22 AM
right, it's awfully hard to get through to a delusional person, i should have known better.

Quote from: James on October 16, 2009, 07:16:44 AM
I don't think so... I think you're full of crap.

Quote from: James
I wouldn't even pay any attention what he has to say on that work either, as it's just going to be something similar to a highschool girl gushing... as if his posts don't prove this already lol

Quote from: James on March 04, 2010, 11:42:47 AM
What a moronic statement, but coming from you it's not surprising tho.

Quote from: James on March 18, 2010, 10:44:53 AM
I don't consider you discerning or well-informed at all, the proof in your comments here and abroad. Keep pretendin'

Quote from: James on March 28, 2010, 09:13:18 PM
Oh yes there definitely is musicmaking, you just have a puny brain & no ears, and because of these obvious limitations don't get upset and talk shit about something you know absolutely nothing about.

Quote from: James on February 05, 2009, 07:36:58 PM
You're completely full of crap basically, and never have anything to offer other than a quote or a link etc. from SOMEONE ELSE. You haven't the first clue of what it even means or is-like to be an artist, play an instrument etc and to be on a highly disciplined path, because if you did you wouldn't waste so much time
trolling and spewing the garbage you do. Except it's not 'you', it's just some more stuff you read elsewhere that's never your own. 'you' offer truly nothing once again and have no clue. just empty derived rhetoric that you paste. please, find yourself.

Quote from: JamesYou don't know anything, it's so transparent that all of what you think you know is based on what you read. It's not based on any sort of real listening experience & time of your own,
that's for sure. Hence the lack of any intelligence or insight found in your posts, which are merely copy & pasted from what you read elsewhere (usually derived from bad journalism) onto this forum,
in order to troll for responses. You're out of your depth, and are really in no position to make statements
that carry any weight on the subject.

Quote from: James on April 14, 2010, 04:11:17 PM
I think you are just frustrated and upset

Quote from: James.
nobody is awaiting your judgement, nobody cares....

Quote from: James on April 30, 2009, 01:24:25 PM
yeah, well whatever lightweight.

Quote from: James on August 01, 2010, 10:29:35 AM
Yea but no one cares <name witheld> ...

Quote from: James on June 14, 2010, 06:07:08 PM
No one cares quite frankly ... you're blathering on & on, so wordy & self-important.

Quote from: James on April 02, 2010, 05:18:24 PM
You don't have a thought of your own in that empty head of yours.

and of course, my favorite single quote of ALL TIME....

Quote from: James on July 28, 2009, 12:18:51 PM
I can do without the immature personal attacks

There are many more rich themes that I have not had time to delineate in this post,
there are scatalogical themes, 
the "shut up" theme,
the "I'm not a kid" theme,
the "lol" theme,
the "wake up" theme,
the "you're not qualified" theme,
the "lighten up, I'm only kidding" theme,
the "adjust your ears" theme, 
the "off base (or way off)" theme,
the "I don't care what you think" theme,
the "get educated" theme,
the "stop reading books and just listen to the music theme",
the "musical ignoramus" theme,

-- the diversity is endless!  It is truly the fathomless cornucopia of wisdom and insight, for those who have high enough standards, and have studied enough, but still don't read too many books.

Those of you who are seeing repetition in these glistening works of highly stylized art  are missing the point, and not seeing the careful gradations in these carefully reasoned posts.  Each one is a crystalline confection to savor, and appreciate in its own sparkling place on the internet firmament.  Together, the strands weave a luminous narrative arc and form a rich tapestry encompassing the entire human condition.  It doesn't get any better than this.

However, in closing, I guess I should get should be a bit self-referential and provide some examples from the "quotes theme", which  is one I've had the honor of earning on occasion, and, who knows, maybe I'll get more?  I may only dream of being so honored...

Quote from: James on December 23, 2010, 06:04:41 AM
Oh no .. here come *the quotes* .. lol

Quote from: James on December 23, 2010, 05:36:10 AM
you can collect all the quotes you want

Editor's note: SOme of these quotes came from locked threads, were it was not as directly possible to get the time and message link.  My apologies for where my lack of scholarship did not do justice to the material.

"If it sounds good, it is good."
Duke Ellington

CD

Quote from: jowcol on March 29, 2011, 06:19:39 PM
Ruts?  Repetitive patterns?  Not possible.   The delicate shadings and calculated nuance in each post  are always treasures to be savored. Those of you who have been disparaging postings such as this are missing out on a tremendous creative flowering that rivals that of Shakespeare or Joyce.  What we have here is the linguistic equivalent of the Well Tempered Clavier to anyone who has the high standards to appreciate it.

It is a great tragedy that true artists do not get sufficient recognition in their lifetimes. 

I ignored James a long time ago.

Philoctetes

Mirror Image

karlhenning

Editor's note: SOme of these quotes came from locked threads, were it was not as directly possible to get the time and message link.  My apologies for where my lack of scholarship did not do justice to the material.

But this is genius: The Essential James.

Grazioso

Pff dusty old quotes  ;D
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Grazioso

Quote from: Apollon on March 30, 2011, 02:41:29 AM

Don't get the Penguin edition, get the Oxford World's Classics volume: a foreword by James himself, plus excellent notes.1

1 pfff

petrarch

Indeed, brilliant! :D

Who's going to add it to the most informative posts thread?
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

karlhenning

Quote from: petrarch on March 30, 2011, 06:47:08 AM
Indeed, brilliant! :D

Who's going to add it to the most informative posts thread?

I admit, the thought did cross my mind.

jowcol

Quote from: James on March 29, 2011, 06:30:41 PM
I rest my case, this proves that you need to get a life, seriously .. how long did it take you to assemble all that. Sheesh, the Ls on this board ..

Thank you sir, may I have another?  :D
Duke Ellington

jowcol

Unfortunately, with another  "Get a Life" , that reference work is already out of date.... Pfffft!  Pffft!

Guess I'll need some of these.

I'll need to put down those books, have a brain fart, adjust my ears, go further off base,  be totally wrong, become less worthy of expressing an opinion, rid myself of any clues that may be in my possession and crank up the quote machine again.  LOL.  Pfft!

Duke Ellington

eyeresist

Jowcol, thanks for that wonderful post! It may indeed belong in Henk's thread.

All together now! Pfffffffffffffffffffff...

CD

pianofortissimoissimoissimoissimoissimoissimo...

Szykneij

Quote from: eyeresist on March 30, 2011, 05:01:54 PM
Jowcol, thanks for that wonderful post! It may indeed belong in Henk's thread.

All together now! Pfffffffffffffffffffff...

Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Philoctetes

Quote from: Corey on March 30, 2011, 02:14:12 AM
contrarian! ^_^

Naw, I like his style. Anyone that committed measures as rad in my book.

Mirror Image

I've finally pull the trigger on some of Morricone's scores:

[asin]B00020HDA8[/asin]

[asin]B000000WFZ[/asin]

[asin]B00008MJ8H[/asin]

[asin]B000002W71[/asin]

I've heard them in the actual movies, but not as standalone scores. I can't wait to hear them.

Mirror Image

I think it's pretty sad that our resident music lover, James, can't find any ounce of creativity in film music. As I stated in an earlier post, there is a wide variety in film music. Some of it is terrible, cliched, but a lot of it is imaginative, lyrically beautiful, and downright exciting. There's good and bad music in all genres, but to dismiss an entire genre is completely ignorant.

Grazioso

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 24, 2011, 09:34:41 AM
I think it's pretty sad that our resident music lover

I think we're all resident music lovers here :) Some of us are just more prone to listen, learn, and enjoy versus passing judgment, denigrating, and dismissing.