Film (movie) Music

Started by vandermolen, August 12, 2008, 12:33:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Bogey on April 27, 2011, 07:26:53 PM
Do not have much....however, not from the lack of respect, but just have not traveled down his road much.  Suggestions outside of the westerns  and The Untouchables (GREAT SCORE!!!!) welcomed.

Have you heard Once Upon A Time In America or The Mission? These are two wonderful scores that I think you would enjoy. I'm still trying to track down Jerry Goldsmith's Chinatown score on CD. It's out-of-print and insanely expensive. That Love Theme never fails but to melt my heart.

Bogey

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 27, 2011, 08:44:46 PM
Have you heard Once Upon A Time In America or The Mission? These are two wonderful scores that I think you would enjoy. I'm still trying to track down Jerry Goldsmith's Chinatown score on CD. It's out-of-print and insanely expensive. That Love Theme never fails but to melt my heart.

I have heard nothing but good things about both those scores....will keep an eye out for them. 

As far as China Town even a vinyl version is not cheap.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

jochanaan

I'm somewhat partial to Goldsmith's Logan's Run score; it's got some nice electronica in it too. 8)
Imagination + discipline = creativity

Lethevich

This long-awaited re-recording is definitely worth it to fans. The production is 10x better - it sounds like orchestral music rather than the shrill, highlighted, spotlighted, flat, zero ambience tendencies of the original. I've read some complaints about this lack of soloist spotlighting, but I don't want something that sounds identical to the original, that would be pointless. The sense of space is great, although the different tempos and balances to the original will take some getting used to.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Bogey

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on May 07, 2011, 03:13:48 PM

This long-awaited re-recording is definitely worth it to fans. The production is 10x better - it sounds like orchestral music rather than the shrill, highlighted, spotlighted, flat, zero ambience tendencies of the original. I've read some complaints about this lack of soloist spotlighting, but I don't want something that sounds identical to the original, that would be pointless. The sense of space is great, although the different tempos and balances to the original will take some getting used to.

That may make me stay clear, but then again..... ;D.  Thanks for the full review!
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Drasko

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on May 07, 2011, 03:13:48 PM

I'll have to get that. Thanks for heads up. To supplement the paint peeling Milan original (never got used to extended Varese version) Clip sounds good:

http://www.youtube.com/v/QrhqkEHep88

Quote from: Bogey on April 27, 2011, 07:26:53 PM
Do not have much....however, not from the lack of respect, but just have not traveled down his road much.  Suggestions outside of the westerns  and The Untouchables (GREAT SCORE!!!!) welcomed.

I'm not much of an expert and Morricone wrote hundreds of scores, but from my memory The Mission, Queimada and The Battle Of Algiers had fine soundtracks. I'm sure you can check them out on youtube.

eyeresist

Guess I'll have to get the Raine recording of Barbarian. I don't mind alternative interpretations of film music. Once it's detached from the film, you should be able to do whatever it takes to make it effective, e.g. the conclusion of Starship Troopers (which hopefully will see its own rerecording) could be much more emphatic than in the original performance IMO.

Bogey

Quote from: eyeresist on May 08, 2011, 05:07:44 PM
Guess I'll have to get the Raine recording of Barbarian. I don't mind alternative interpretations of film music. Once it's detached from the film, you should be able to do whatever it takes to make it effective, e.g. the conclusion of Starship Troopers (which hopefully will see its own rerecording) could be much more emphatic than in the original performance IMO.

Depends on the score for me.  Naturally when he original source material no longer exists, or is in poor shape, then a re-recording is fine. 

Lethevich

I should also note - the booklet notes in the new recording are excellent, they offer a description of each track, numerous photographs, and there is a nice intro written by the composer's family amongst other things.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Bogey

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on May 08, 2011, 08:31:00 PM
I should also note - the booklet notes in the new recording are excellent, they offer a description of each track, numerous photographs, and there is a nice intro written by the composer's family amongst other things.

*leans closer to a purchase*

eyeresist

How many pages? :shifty:

sound67

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on May 07, 2011, 03:13:48 PMThe production is 10x better - it sounds like orchestral music rather than the shrill, highlighted, spotlighted, flat, zero ambience tendencies of the original.

Mind you, Poledouris himself supervised the shrill, highlighted, spotlighted, flat, zero ambience tendencies of the original. ;)

The new recording is nice - a little too nice, maybe.

"Vivaldi didn't compose 500 concertos. He composed the same concerto 500 times" - Igor Stravinsky

"Mozart is a menace to musical progress, a relic of rituals that were losing relevance in his own time and are meaningless to ours." - Norman Lebrecht

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: eyeresist on May 09, 2011, 03:49:05 PM
How many pages?

24, including front and back covers.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Szykneij

I found this John Corigliano interview regarding the score to "The Red Violin" most enlightening. Anyone who feels composing film music is frivolous should hear his insights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=jt6innUUM_c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt6innUUM_c
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

eyeresist

On a related note, I read an interview with Trent Reznor about the Social Network soundtrack, in which he talked about the difference between writing stand-alone music and film score. His score (admittedly co-written) does definitely sound like a background or accompaniment to something else, IMO, but is good listening on those terms. Of course, some scores, e.g. Herrmanns, can accomplish both functions at once.

P.S. Shut up, James.

Bogey

Quote from: eyeresist on May 15, 2011, 05:34:18 PM
On a related note, I read an interview with Trent Reznor about the Social Network soundtrack, in which he talked about the difference between writing stand-alone music and film score. His score (admittedly co-written) does definitely sound like a background or accompaniment to something else, IMO, but is good listening on those terms.

I have the disc and enjoyed it as stand alone music, but will only grab it once in a great while.

Quote from: eyeresist on May 15, 2011, 05:34:18 PM
Of course, some scores, e.g. Herrmanns, can accomplish both functions at once.

Truth.

Latest listening:

This Johnny Williams' installment is better than the picture it was scored for, IMO.

Also:

Love that "vintage" chorus work on this one.  Makes me smile every time I listen to it. :)

DavidW

Quote from: Bogey on May 17, 2011, 06:10:16 PM
This Johnny Williams' installment is better than the picture it was scored for, IMO.

So be it... Bogey.

I'm still going to buy it on blu-ray! ;D

Bogey

Quote from: haydnfan on May 17, 2011, 06:12:25 PM
So be it... Bogey.

I'm still going to buy it on blu-ray! ;D

Oh, I'm in! Just because it falls short of the others does not mean it does not deserve repeated viewing. :)  Plus it is my son's favorite out of the lot.  I am an Empire Strikes Back guy....laser cannons and  Imperial Walkers on an ice planet (Hoth) is about as cool as it gets.  I wonder if the Blu-Ray will sharpen without making everything look wooden or plastic like the last dvd installment that looks like a soundstage on our BR player?  When is it expected out?

Mirror Image

Quote from: Bogey on May 17, 2011, 06:23:30 PM
Oh, I'm in! Just because it falls short of the others does not mean it does not deserve repeated viewing. :)  Plus it is my son's favorite out of the lot.  I am an Empire Strikes Back guy....laser cannons and  Imperial Walkers on an ice planet (Hoth) is about as cool as it gets.  I wonder if the Blu-Ray will sharpen without making everything look wooden or plastic like the last dvd installment that looks like a soundstage on our BR player?  When is it expected out?

I actually enjoyed The Return of the Jedi. In fact, I thought it had more substance and emotion than the first two films. The scene where Darth Vader watches Luke get blasted by lightning from the Emperor and finally has had enough only to throw the Emperor into that shaft was very moving for me. Darth Vader simply wasn't going to stand there and watch his son die. No, as Luke said, there was still some good left in him.

Bogey

Just read some pre-lims on the BR set....good and bad.