Film (movie) Music

Started by vandermolen, August 12, 2008, 12:33:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogey

Quote from: mc ukrneal on December 25, 2011, 10:41:38 PM
I like them, but must admit I rarely listen to them in the order they are listed OR I listen to bits and pieces. If you are not sure, the best thing is probably to watch the movie again with an eye towards the music. If you listen to all three in a row, I think you would tire of the music as it is somewhat repetitive. This is probably why I like to flit around. It may also account for Karl's comments.

Never have listened to all three back to back to back.  However, I agree there would be a "sameness" about them.  I would find the same is true   for the Star Wars efforts from Williams.  Or almost any three films, which do not need to be sequels, scored by Zimmer or Horner. ;D

Back to Shore.  Does anyone here enjoy his Aviator effort?  I thought it a heck of a score.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Karl Henning

Quote from: Bogey on December 26, 2011, 04:45:58 AM
Back to Shore.  Does anyone here enjoy his Aviator effort?  I thought it a heck of a score.

I haven't seen that one yet . . . thought he did a fine job with Dead Ringers, though that's a film I shan't need to revisit again anytime soon ; )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: Bogey on December 25, 2011, 09:18:55 PM
Sorry....got excited. ;D  Not often you see posts about Herrmann.  My apologies.   As for Bernstein, he wrote after this.  Was his last Far From Heaven (2002), or did he have others?  At least that is the last one I heard.  I knew about it because Elmer received a nomination for this one.

According to Wikipedia, that was his last, Bill. Interesting that his filmography there lists "Gangs of New York (rejected) (2002)" . . . since I just noticed from Howard Shore's filmography that he wound up scoring that one.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

John Copeland

Quote from: karlhenning on December 27, 2011, 05:36:01 AM
According to Wikipedia, that was his last, Bill. Interesting that his filmography there lists "Gangs of New York (rejected) (2002)" . . . since I just noticed from Howard Shore's filmography that he wound up scoring that one.

That'll be why I thought this was Scorceses worst movie Karl.  I never liked that movie!

Karl Henning

That's more than I can answer to, Johnnie . . . I've not seen it! : )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Bogey

Quote from: karlhenning on December 27, 2011, 05:53:38 AM
That's more than I can answer to, Johnnie . . . I've not seen it! : )

Boom-da-da-boodle, Karl!  Your wife's artwork was most appreciated this season.
Thread duty for Gangs of NY:
Fun to watch Danny Day' Lewis do his thing....neat looking film....but the story was very weak, IMO.  Cannot recall the music.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

snyprrr

Bogey

In his liner notes, Shore explains that the score bridges together the sound of the silent era films with the films of the 30's and 40'....also a Spanish influence is added to reflect the California setting.  I will give it a fresh listen while testing some new computer speakers.

Bogey

Now, a favorite of the whole family....

....even though the kiddos have not seen the movie yet, they still like the music.  Probably will let the film role after Ethan finishes the book.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Bogey on December 27, 2011, 03:03:27 PM

I love the film (and it redeemed Leonardo "Titanic" DiCaprio)...but I can't recall the music.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Karl Henning

Hm, to think I nearly picked that one up for a song . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Bogey

Just got done watching my avatar and decided a bit of BIG WESTERN film music was in order.....

Bogey

I like this sequal score a bit more than William's original effort.  We are about to watch the movie with the kiddos and some of their friends.  Just finished reading the book to Marnie, so it should be fun.

eyeresist

Quote from: Bogey on January 21, 2012, 02:34:59 PM

I like this sequal score a bit more than William's original effort.

Interesting. I picked up the 2-CD rerecording of the series music on Silva Screen (an Xmas present for my nephew), and received the impression that the later non-Williams scores were better, or at least more enjoyable.

Bogey

Quote from: eyeresist on January 23, 2012, 10:40:27 PM
Interesting. I picked up the 2-CD rerecording of the series music on Silva Screen (an Xmas present for my nephew), and received the impression that the later non-Williams scores were better, or at least more enjoyable.

I do not own the later efforts...just 1-3.  I might have to look into them, or at least give a close listen as we work through the books and the movies.  Who were the composers in the later efforts?  Any Williams' flavoring save the main title theme?  I wonder if his influence diminished over time?  Any queues that you particurly enjoy?  My favorite: Fawkes The Phoenix (Album Version).

Karl Henning

The more I watch of the Jackson movies, the less I think of Howard Shore's music in them, alas.

But there are other movies where I like his music better.  And I am sure he did the music here just as pleased the director (which, of course, is perfectly right).

Anyway, he's making a pile pushing it all off as a "symphony," so I shan't feel sorry for him
; )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: karlhenning on January 25, 2012, 04:19:32 AM
The more I watch of the Jackson movies, the less I think of Howard Shore's music in them, alas.

But there are other movies where I like his music better.  And I am sure he did the music here just as pleased the director (which, of course, is perfectly right).

Anyway, he's making a pile pushing it all off as a "symphony," so I shan't feel sorry for him
; )

I think Shore's slower, more dramatic music in the TLOTR films to be more effective than the brash, fanfare/battle music. But I find Shore to be a successful score composer with a good range, Nobody's Fool, Cronenberg films as well as recent Scorsese films.

Karl Henning

Right, he did Hugo, didn't he?  Of course, much of the music (indeed, much of the best music) was borrowed from (genuine) French composers, but I should agree that the Shore contribution was apt.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: karlhenning on January 25, 2012, 04:38:27 AM
Right, he did Hugo, didn't he?  Of course, much of the music (indeed, much of the best music) was borrowed from (genuine) French composers, but I should agree that the Shore contribution was apt.

He did, but I haven't seen Hugo yet, it's on my list of must-see.

Karl, who are some film score composers that you enjoy the most?

jowcol

Quote from: karlhenning on January 25, 2012, 04:19:32 AM

; )

To be honest- I hated the mixing of the soundtrack on the LOTR movies.   Many times it was simply too loud.  We were watching them on DVD with the kids asleep upstairs, and  when the score would swell it got too loud, and when we reset the level, we could'nt hear the dialog, so I turned it up again.  Repeat until done.

I found the levels so intrusive in spots that I really could not appreciate the score on its own terms.   I'll need to check them apart from the movies.  (And I was only so-so  on the movies-- maybe for the same reason. )

"If it sounds good, it is good."
Duke Ellington