Film (movie) Music

Started by vandermolen, August 12, 2008, 12:33:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGSMoeller

This is a great thread, enjoying going through it for I am quite fond of film scores.

Listening now to Alberto Iglesias original score for Almodovar's masterful 1999 film, Todo Sobre Mi Madre (All About My Mother). The soundtrack also contains two phenomenal tracks from bandoneonist Dino Saluzzi.

Mirror Image

Has anyone heard this film work?

I like it a lot. It's pretty eerie and notable for Hilary Hahn's seductive violin playing throughout. I normally don't think much of her tone, but here it sounds beautiful. Must be that gorgeous reverb that helps give more weight to the tone.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 07, 2013, 07:36:24 PM
Has anyone heard this film work?

I like it a lot. It's pretty eerie and notable for Hilary Hahn's seductive violin playing throughout. I normally don't think much of her tone, but here it sounds beautiful. Must be that gorgeous reverb that helps give more weight to the tone.

No doubt that the music is better than the film.  ;D

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on January 07, 2013, 07:38:14 PM
No doubt that the music is better than the film.  ;D

It's funny how often this happens, but, yes, I didn't even make it through The Village when I was watching. Pretty horrible movie. The music, on the other hand, caught my attention immediately.

TheGSMoeller

A few small gems from Angelo Badalamenti, from David Lynch's The Straight Story and Mathilde's Theme from Jean-Pierre Jeunet's Un long dimanche de fiançailles (A Very Long Engagement)

http://www.youtube.com/v/xk8Y-XxaAog http://www.youtube.com/v/0qljq_nxhBs&list=PL09EF9F0D0CE336AE http://www.youtube.com/v/zNZ0of3xqdM&list=PL09EF9F0D0CE336AE

Octave

Heard yet another Philip Glass score, this time for string quartet (?) and sounding an awful lot like an awful lot of other Philip Glass scores---and please know that I've listened to a lot of his music and like a chunk of it quite a bit.  But the dynamics and sparing use of the music was especially effective; a flip-side to the (also effective) past use of bombast (MISHIMA) or simulation-of-thinking clockwork churn (FAST CHEAP AND OUT OF CONTROL) or pensive workmanlike mystery-solving rumination (FOG OF WAR).  I am not sure that this film is as good as those aforementioned.  It's ELENA by Andrei Zvyagintsev, film that I found to be very very slow.

And watch a hella lot of slow movies.  The end result was interesting for me, but more because of atmosphere and slow burn.  But we're talking about music here!  I also remember thinking that Andrei Dergatchev's [sic?] score to AZ's first feature, THE RETURN, was interesting; but it's been almost 10 years since I've seen that.  I outright disliked AZ's second film, THE BANISHMENT, and abhorred the use of Arvo Pärt's music in that film.  Actually, I think I almost always hate the use of Arvo Pärt in movies, even (arguably) good ones.  Why is this?  Is it because it seems essentially white-elephantine to do so?  Like trying to create some canned awe?  I certainly do not have a problem with Pärt's music.  He should really disallow that expropriation/exploitation of his music.  It is idiotic.  The worst I've seen was the use of "De Profundis", among my favorite choral pieces by him, in a moronic film by Shane Meadows called DEAD MAN'S SHOES, which I only watched because Paddy Considine was its star.  But wait: that piece was used beautifully (though probably also problematically) 13 years earlier in Werner Herzog's LESSONS OF DARKNESS.  And a different piece in Leos Carax's LOVERS ON THE BRIDGE.  Okay.  There have been exceptions.
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

jochanaan

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 23, 2011, 06:47:39 AM
What does everybody think about the films scores to The Lord of the Rings written by Howard Shore? Does anyone one the soundtracks? Those deluxe sets look nice as they contain the complete score for each movie.
I've played them in orchestra.  They're okay, but not nearly as fun as the John Williams scores.
Imagination + discipline = creativity

Mirror Image

Quote from: jochanaan on January 09, 2013, 12:00:49 PM
I've played them in orchestra.  They're okay, but not nearly as fun as the John Williams scores.

Personally, I'd rather perform Jerry Goldsmith than John Williams.

Fafner

And I first discovered Howard Hanson thanks to this soundtrack. :)
"Remember Fafner? Remember he built Valhalla? A giant? Well, he's a dragon now. Don't ask me why. Anyway, he's dead."
   --- Anna Russell

Bogey

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 09, 2013, 12:02:06 PM
Personally, I'd rather perform Jerry Goldsmith than John Williams.

Goldsmith was a chameleon....Williams is, well, Williams.  Glad they both have come through large and would buy a disc of either of theirs without even previewing the music. :)
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Mirror Image

Quote from: Bogey on January 09, 2013, 05:13:54 PM
Goldsmith was a chameleon....Williams is, well, Williams.  Glad they both have come through large and would buy a disc of either of theirs without even previewing the music. :)

What's your favorite Goldsmith film score?

Cato

I have mentioned it before somewhere, but one of the best John Williams scores is for one of Brian De Palma's epics from the 1970's, with an all-star cast of Kirk Douglas, John Cassavetes, Charles Durning, and several others.

[asin]/B00005LIRC[/asin]

This is one of those movies where most people take no middle ground: you either liked it or hated it.

For Jerry Goldsmith

[asin]0792843592[/asin]

and the original, not the dreadful remake:

[asin]B000E6ESEO[/asin]
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Bogey

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 09, 2013, 07:27:12 PM
What's your favorite Goldsmith film score?

The Alien posted above is right there. However, Planet of the Apes (may be his best?), Star Trek the Motion Picture rate highly as well. 

Two sleepers: Papillion and Masada.

The Masada I have only heard a few tracks, but enjoyed them.  Here is the title theme:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aorSwz8RkOw

I have also considered getting his Tora, Toora, Tora in the near future.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bogey

Here are you Original Score nominees fpr 2013:

Anna Karenina
Dario Marianelli

Argo
Alexandre Desplat

Life of Pi
Mychael Danna

Lincoln
John Williams

Skyfall
Thomas Newman

I may pick the Argo up as I enjoyed it during the viewing of the film.  Not sure if I will grab Lincoln or Skyfall.  I will need to see the other nominees for this category before deciding on them.

Bogey

Quote from: Fafner on January 09, 2013, 01:48:40 PM

And I first discovered Howard Hanson thanks to this soundtrack. :)

One of Jerry's best.

Thread duty:A Morricone fro '87.  Some very nice cues here.  The main title kicks and the rest brings back clear scenes from the film.  My only gripe is that the cues are out of order from the movie.  I hate when folks try to "customize" it!

Capone's car, a 1928 Cadillac.  Why would you customize this beauty....you woudn't!

And the Ness: 1932 Eliot Ness Cadillac V-16 Phaeton:

Bogey

From 1996:

Except for track 6 which is Kempff playing Schumann, meh.

Karl Henning

IIRC, Bill, Morricone scored Zeffirelli's Hamlet, as well.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

TheGSMoeller

I'm enjoying this thread, have always loved film scores.

My favorite score composers...

Zbigniew Preisner
Carter Burwell
Joe Hisaishi
Michael Nyman
Angelo Badalamenti
Howard Shore
(mostly for his work on David Croenberg films)
Ennio Morricone

Some of my favorite scores...

The Fountain - Clint Mansell
Once Upon a Time in the West - Ennio Morricone
Vertigo - Bernard Herrmann
The Draughtsman's Contract - Michael Nyman
The Last of the Mohicans - Trevor Jones/Randy Edelman
The Double Life of Veronique; Blue - Zbigniew Preisner
The Ice Storm - Mychael Danna
Kundun - Philip Glass
Tron: Legacy - Daft Punk

Promentory by Trevor Jones from Mohicans has long been the one piece of film music that I find brilliant, for its contribution and enhancement to the film and also as a stand-alone piece. Other selections I find brilliant are Carter Burwell's theme to Miller's Crossing, an amazingly dramatic piece of Americana, on paper it may not sound right for a gangster pic, but placed in the context of the film it becomes one of the greatest movie themes...Angelo Badalamenti's theme to Blue Velvet, a dark and complex 90-seconds that foreshadows the following mystery of the severed ear...and finally, my top choice for music in a film (I say it that way because this piece was not originally written for the film) is Memorial by Michael Nyman in The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover. Nyman did edit the piece and his band even performed and recorded the selection (for the first time) for the film. To me, it's one of the most perfect marriages of sight and sound.

Bogey

Saw Django last night and Morricone was listed in the credits. Here is why:

http://djangounchained.wikia.com/wiki/Django_Unchained/Soundtrack

Not sure how many of the 3 pieces he did were original for the film.  Dude can write 'em though!

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Bogey on January 12, 2013, 05:54:10 AM
Saw Django last night and Morricone was listed in the credits. Here is why:

http://djangounchained.wikia.com/wiki/Django_Unchained/Soundtrack

Not sure how many of the 3 pieces he did were original for the film.  Dude can write 'em though!

I read none of them were original pieces, were from the film "Two Mules for Sister Sara".