Film (movie) Music

Started by vandermolen, August 12, 2008, 12:33:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogey

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on January 12, 2013, 06:20:38 AM
I read none of them were original pieces, were from the film "Two Mules for Sister Sara".

Thanks, Greg.  It seems that Terrantino(sp?) likes to have the music and then write the scene, so that makes sense.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Bogey on January 12, 2013, 06:34:01 AM
Thanks, Greg.  It seems that Terrantino(sp?) likes to have the music and then write the scene, so that makes sense.

You're welcome.
Kill Bill Vol.1 is a testament to that method for sure, the entire fight scene in the end, from inside the restaurant to the one-on-one with Lucy Liu, is choreographed to his selections.

sound67

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on January 12, 2013, 06:20:38 AM
I read none of them were original pieces, were from the film "Two Mules for Sister Sara".

Tarantino (almost?!) exclusively uses existing film/classical/pop music to score his movies. Much in the same way he quotes from other films all the time. These are his "fixations", and the reason why he hasn't made a truly original movie since "Pulp Fiction", the first of his to employ such tactics. He's a virtuoso film maker with a vast knowledge of film history, but of late he seems to have stalled.
"Vivaldi didn't compose 500 concertos. He composed the same concerto 500 times" - Igor Stravinsky

"Mozart is a menace to musical progress, a relic of rituals that were losing relevance in his own time and are meaningless to ours." - Norman Lebrecht

Octave

I was knocked out by Bernard Herrmann's very brief title-credit music for THE MAN IN THE GRAY FLANNEL SUIT; I thought it was fine stuff even by Herrmann's high standards.  The rest of the music for that film was also really good, but there was something gorgeous about that opening theme that made me re-start the film three times before it had even begun.  I also liked the film, though it was a weird one, sometimes weird in its banality and in the varieties of boredom it inspired in me; so I guess I would not recommend it casually. 

But that theme!  I regretted that Herrmann didn't (apparently) choose to conduct a suite of that music on one of the Phase 4 records that was reissued by Eloquence in two double discs, both of which I really need to get, anyway.
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

vandermolen

I liked this score very much (Michael Nyman). The soundtrack also contains the slow movement of Schubert's Quintet in C played by the Amadeus Quartet and Robert Cohen (also used in the film 'Conspiracy' I think):
[asin]B000004CWG[/asin]
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

niknala

Is anyone familiar with the "Classic Film Scores" series recorded in the 1970s by Charles Gerhardt?  The recordings are selections from different scores on each CDs.   I've seen a bunch of the CD reissues on sale and was wondering if any are worth picking up.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: niknala on April 06, 2013, 06:06:36 AM
Is anyone familiar with the "Classic Film Scores" series recorded in the 1970s by Charles Gerhardt?  The recordings are selections from different scores on each CDs.   I've seen a bunch of the CD reissues on sale and was wondering if any are worth picking up.

Outstanding! I have these:

The Errol FLynn is all Korngold. Bogart and Davis are a mix. The last is all Steiner. All of it is well played. There is a fair amount I know well (because I know the movies well), but there were also some interestng pieces new to me. But even those I know, interesting to hear them outside the film.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

niknala

Thanks!  I think I'll try a couple.  They are on sale right now at 2/10 at J&R.

Octave

That's a nice list, Monkey Greg.

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on January 11, 2013, 06:11:24 PM
...Angelo Badalamenti's theme to Blue Velvet, a dark and complex 90-seconds that foreshadows the following mystery of the severed ear...

I was interested to read (in a book of interviews called LYNCH ON LYNCH) that David Lynch was compulsively listening to Shostakovich #15 while writing the BLUE VELVET screenplay, and that he had Badalamenti actually reference that symphony in in the score.  Unfortunately I read this after seeing BV, so I wasn't prepared to listen for these references.  I'm afraid I don't know my Shost well enough....I even heard excerpt(s) from Kondrashin's Shost 10 in Pedro Almodovar's LAW OF DESIRE and thought, "Whoever scored this is the man!"
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

vandermolen

Quote from: niknala on April 06, 2013, 06:06:36 AM

I have many of these in an earlier manifestation. The featured Waxman and Herrmann CDs are terrific. There is a weird similarity between Waxman's 'Prince Valiant' (as far as I recall) and part of Shostakovich's 11th Symphony, even though the Waxman came first! Ironicall Waxman gave the west coast premiere of the Shostakovich. I like the 'Casablanca', 'Elizabeth and Essex' (especially for the 'Cello Concerto' from 'Deception' and 'The Sea Hawk' CDs) - a fine old series in my view.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Bogey

Those cds are outstanding.  Would like to put them all on the shelf at some point.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Mirror Image

Waiting on The Lord of the Rings complete recordings box sets to be reissued...

Any word on these?

Szykneij

My son went out, leaving the TV on in the other room, and I'm finding it difficult to concentrate on what I'm doing. "Chinatown" is now airing, and the Gerry Goldsmith soundtrack wafting in from across the hall is hard to ignore. What great music!

I see that Amazon now offers a digital download at a much more affordable price than the still nearly-impossible-to-find CD.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Bogey

Quote from: mc ukrneal on April 06, 2013, 10:01:10 AM
Outstanding! I have these:

The Errol FLynn is all Korngold. Bogart and Davis are a mix. The last is all Steiner. All of it is well played. There is a fair amount I know well (because I know the movies well), but there were also some interestng pieces new to me. But even those I know, interesting to hear them outside the film.

Some of the best you will find for these films.

Thread duty:

This weekly radio show is exceptional.  Have not listened to all of them, but the ones that I have I enjoyed.

http://www.wqxr.org/#!/programs/movies/

Bogey

It is a scorching afternoon here in the Denver area. The dry heat is pressing down, so threw this one in to add to the mood a bit to give the local pavement a soundtrack. One nice thing about this set, at least IMO, is that they use the actual music from the films. Plan on surface noise, but I believe that just adds to the feel of the music.

Rons_talking

"The Ghost and Mrs. Muir" is one of Herrman's best, and the original "Planet of the Apes" by J. Goldsmith is like a modern ballet the first half of the film. "Rebel Without a Cause" sounds serial much of the way and gives it that distorted feeling. Leonard Rosenman wrote that score as well as several other Schoenbergian scores.

vandermolen

Terrific score. Can't believe that I only just discovered this great film ('movie' to you lot in the USA  8))
:[asin]B000U7V98U[/asin]

vandermolen

Quote from: Rons_talking on July 01, 2013, 03:56:50 PM
"The Ghost and Mrs. Muir" is one of Herrman's best, and the original "Planet of the Apes" by J. Goldsmith is like a modern ballet the first half of the film. "Rebel Without a Cause" sounds serial much of the way and gives it that distorted feeling. Leonard Rosenman wrote that score as well as several other Schoenbergian scores.

Definitely agree with you about 'The Ghost and Mrs Muir' - Herrmann's best score I think and truly haunting (as appropriate for this film!) Also the original 'Planet of the Apes' by Goldsmith. His score for 'Alien' is similarly disturbing.

Bogey

Quote from: vandermolen on July 05, 2013, 01:39:42 AM
Definitely agree with you about 'The Ghost and Mrs Muir' - Herrmann's best score I think and truly haunting (as appropriate for this film!) A

This may interest Herrmann fans.  Some of his radio and television music featured in the broadcast as well.

Bogey

Quote from: Lethevich on May 07, 2011, 03:13:48 PM

This long-awaited re-recording is definitely worth it to fans. The production is 10x better - it sounds like orchestral music rather than the shrill, highlighted, spotlighted, flat, zero ambience tendencies of the original. I've read some complaints about this lack of soloist spotlighting, but I don't want something that sounds identical to the original, that would be pointless. The sense of space is great, although the different tempos and balances to the original will take some getting used to.

Brought this one back to add this post:

Now on three cds, the complete ORIGINAL score.  Cool that they found the material.  30 bones at Amazon.