Film (movie) Music

Started by vandermolen, August 12, 2008, 12:33:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W.A. Mozart and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Bogey on November 09, 2013, 02:02:44 PM
I have not grabbed The Hobbit yet.  Should.  I love his Aviator score.  I am guessing you do as well.

Yes! The Aviator is great, just like the film.
Add Nobody's Fool and several of his David Cronenberg scores to that "great" list.

Bogey

Enjoying this one:

I remember them coming out with an expanded version of this score at one point.  Almost got it (love the music and the movie), but once again....stop the madness and cooler heads in this case prevailed.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bogey

Just sampled Nobody's Fool.  It immediately reminded me of one of my favorite film composers, Rachel Portman.  Just added it to my wish list.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bogey

Bogey

On mono vinyl, now taking in one of Alex North's three epic scores (Cleopatra and Spartacus being the other two).  I see this for sale often, but usually with the stereo tag.  It was re-released by Varese Sarabande Records in 2004 and included a cut for Jerry Goldsmith that did not make its way on to the original release.  The more I listen to North, the more I want to seek out other works of his.  Only won an honorary Oscar after 13 nominations....people have lost their minds.

Bogey

Some Desplat for a Saturday afternoon.

Bogey

More Rozsa!  This time from 1940.

This is the recording re-recorded by Elmer Bernstein.  He did a number of these and the appeared on vinyl....I do not believe they made it to cd.

1978 REISSUE OF A 1977 PRIVATE FILM MUSIC LP VINYL RELEASE BY ELMER BERNSTEIN TO MEMBERS OF HIS FILM MUSIC CLUB. THIS PRESSING IS A NEWLY RECORDED VERSION OF MIKLOS ROZSA'S 1940 SCORE TO THE CLASSIC "THIEF OF BAGHDAD" WITH ELMER BERNSTEIN CONDUCTING THE ROYAL PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA WITH THE SALTARELLO CHOIR. A MASTERFUL PERFORMANCE OF A CLASSIC FILM SCORE! MUSIC COLLECTIBLE!

Hey, not a bad pick for a conductor to re-record these scores.  A wonderful score with vocals throughout.  Lush and beautiful....and not a lot of info on it.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: sanantonio on November 16, 2013, 06:04:22 PM
I am also a fan of film scores; this is an interesting transcription for string quintet of some excellent film music:

[asin]B000NQDE6S[/asin]

Looks very intriguing. Wish listed, thanks for posting, SanA.

Bogey

Going back to this 1951 film noir score (Herrmann's only?). 

Excellent Amazon review here:

From the 1st hammer blow on steel plate, "On Dangerous Ground" is gut-gripping music. If the movie it accompanies is an interesting, but very flawed film noir, the score is completely superlative. Some ideas have a familiar ring to Herrmann aficionados--the beginning of "Pastoral" uses a sinuous winding theme in the bass instruments that is developed by the composer in the later movie "North By Northwest", and there's a spinning figure in the strings in "Snowstorm" that makes an appearance in Hitchcock's "Vertigo". "Death Hunt" is the virtuosic highlight of this CD, with the manic braying of horns in an adrenaline pumping frenzy. The softer music has the melancoly yearning quality of "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir", but in spite of the echos and pre-echos of other Herrmann film scores, this one is treasurable in itself. This CD was taken from acetate discs and there is some surface noice--some of it intrusive, but its so good to have this film score complete, that I'm not complaining. I find the ear adjusts after a while, and the score is so consistently rich in ideas that it's the music you hear, not the noise.

In short, unmistakably Herrmann.  Just a matter of how many scores of his you want.  The correct answer?  As many as you can grab. ;D  This one's availability is drying up, so get one soon.  The FSM discs tend to go to the crazy price level if they become unavailable for a while.

Bogey

The original!

This music always sweeps me back to my childhood.

TheGSMoeller

Michael Danna is a fantastic score composer. His credits include The Ice Storm, The Sweet Hereafter, Little Miss Sunshine and most recently Life of Pi. My favorite score from Danna is without a doubt from Ang Lee's masterful film, The Ice Storm. Through perfect instrumentation and darkly hued melodies and harmonies, Danna conjures up the images of a tragic story told against the chilly backdrop of winter. Here is the hauntingly beautiful 9 minute piece that accompanies the final moments of the film. Highly recommended....

http://www.youtube.com/v/jUNXYVC_yWY

vandermolen

I recently saw the film 'Sarah's Key', one of the saddest I have seen, about the 1942 round up of Jews in Vichy France. I thought that the soundtrack, especially the closing titles was very affecting. I would recommend both the film/movie and the soundtrack by Max Richter:
[asin]B005BJ7XBY[/asin]
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Bogey

Have not heard any of his music.  Shutter Island would have been my best bet, but have not caught it yet.  Thanks for the tip.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Bogey on December 01, 2013, 05:32:24 AM
Have not heard any of his music.  Shutter Island would have been my best bet, but have not caught it yet.  Thanks for the tip.

Some great music in Shutter Island.  Effective use of Penderecki's 3rd Symphony, and I love the Mahler Piano Quartet, where Mark Ruffalo asks "This is nice, is this Brahms?"  :D

vandermolen

Quote from: sanantonio on December 01, 2013, 05:01:22 AM
I found the soundtrack on MOG and am listening to it now - beautiful.  Thanks for the tip.  Netflix does not have the movie available for streaming.

Delighted you like it.  :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: vandermolen on December 01, 2013, 12:11:05 AM
I recently saw the film 'Sarah's Key', one of the saddest I have seen, about the 1942 round up of Jews in Vichy France. I thought that the soundtrack, especially the closing titles was very affecting. I would recommend both the film/movie and the soundtrack by Max Richter:
[asin]B005BJ7XBY[/asin]

Richer also wrote a great score for the animated film Waltz With Bashir.

vandermolen

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on December 01, 2013, 09:04:47 AM
Richer also wrote a great score for the animated film Waltz With Bashir.

How interesting as I have the DVD but had not made the connection. Another extraordinary film.

Bogey

Now playing, and enjoying:

Where do you rank Basil Poledouris on your lists? 

vandermolen

Quote from: Bogey on December 01, 2013, 06:32:22 PM
Now playing, and enjoying:

Where do you rank Basil Poledouris on your lists?

I have that CD too. I rank Poledouris's score 'Conan the Barbarian' very highly. There is a new complete recording. As far as I'm concerned it ranks alongside Prokofiev's 'Alexander Nevsky' and I play the Conan music more often. It has a very powerful, hypnotically memorable quality to it. It was rated 'Pick of the Year' (1982) in the much lamented Gramophone Good CD Film Music Guide.

Bogey

Quote from: vandermolen on December 04, 2013, 12:01:45 PM
I have that CD too. I rank Poledouris's score 'Conan the Barbarian' very highly. There is a new complete recording. As far as I'm concerned it ranks alongside Prokofiev's 'Alexander Nevsky' and I play the Conan music more often. It has a very powerful, hypnotically memorable quality to it. It was rated 'Pick of the Year' (1982) in the much lamented Gramophone Good CD Film Music Guide.

I have that new set of Conen on my wish list.  Neat that they found the original material.  Thread duty:

This Elfman effort took a bit to warm up to.  A lot of "Batman" sounding moments disguised with new percussion....but after a number of listens I am beginning to appreciate the whirlwind that Elfman created here.  A freshness evolves with each listen that keeps me coming back.