Film (movie) Music

Started by vandermolen, August 12, 2008, 12:33:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogey

Quote from: gutstrings on September 03, 2014, 07:12:23 PM
Recently re-discovered Mancini's  "Baby Elephant Walk" from the movie Hatari! One of those pop tunes everyone seems to recognize... really a brilliant composition.

Mancini's one of my favorites.  Love everything he tried.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

torut

Quote from: gutstrings on September 03, 2014, 07:12:23 PM
Recently re-discovered Mancini's  "Baby Elephant Walk" from the movie Hatari! One of those pop tunes everyone seems to recognize... really a brilliant composition.
It's a lovely song. Recently, I've been listening to The Essential Henry Mancini repeatedly. He composed so many unforgettable songs: Pink Panther Theme, Days of Wine and Roses, Moon River, Mystery Movie Theme, Happy Barefoot Boy, etc. ...

torut

Quote from: Octave on October 29, 2013, 11:35:14 PM
Hans Zimmer is not a major favorite of mine, but perhaps some of you would be interested in this little article on some of his approaches to orchestrating film scores and otherwise coming up with textures:

How Does Hans Zimmer Keep His Film Scores Fresh? He Invents New Instruments
by Tim Greiving, LA WEEKLY, 20 Jun 13
http://www.laweekly.com/2013-06-20/film-tv/hans-zimmer-lone-ranger/

The article didn't mention it, but Chas Smith's original instruments were used in Man of Steel soundtrack, according to this video. (I have not watched the movie.) I like Smith's music.

https://www.youtube.com/v/RSFMh0KKl9c

vandermolen

This is quite fun and makes a change from the usual stuff I listen to:
[asin]B005FNJL7K[/asin]
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: vandermolen on October 25, 2014, 01:37:56 PM
This is quite fun and makes a change from the usual stuff I listen to:
[asin]B005FNJL7K[/asin]

That's interesting, I'll need to find that. Years ago I created my own LOTR: Symphony by pulling Shore's music from the trilogy. More of a suite I guess than a symphony since it contained about 16 movements. But it's great music, Shore is a great score composer. Going from Cronenberg to LOTR/Hobbit shows his range.

vandermolen

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 25, 2014, 01:40:48 PM
That's interesting, I'll need to find that. Years ago I created my own LOTR: Symphony by pulling Shore's music from the trilogy. More of a suite I guess than a symphony since it contained about 16 movements. But it's great music, Shore is a great score composer. Going from Cronenberg to LOTR/Hobbit shows his range.

How interesting! This is a bit of a suite too but it hangs together well and contains my favourite bits such as the Mines of Moria section and The White Tree. I tend to prefer the darker sections rather than the slightly twee hobbity sections. It is before a live audience who clearly enjoyed it and I like the songs too. Thanks for replying  :).
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Bogey

I may have to check this one out, gents.  Did you both snag this when it came out?

On a side note, revisited some Tiomkin this weekend:

and a newer effort from one of my favorite movie composers, Rachel Portman:

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

vandermolen

Quote from: Bogey on October 26, 2014, 04:27:40 AM
I may have to check this one out, gents.  Did you both snag this when it came out?

On a side note, revisited some Tiomkin this weekend:

and a newer effort from one of my favorite movie composers, Rachel Portman:

No, never saw the Creating LOR feature - looks interesting.

Bogey

When the music is better than the movie....imo, of course. ;)

I also have this copy as I read somewhere that Bernstein liked this performance better than his own

Either way, one of the classic western, for that matter, film scores of all time. 

Two pieces of trivia from IMDB

Bernstein replaced Dimitri Tiomkin.
John Williams plays the piano on the score.

Jaakko Keskinen

Quote from: Bogey on October 26, 2014, 03:14:10 PM
When the music is better than the movie....imo, of course. ;)

+ 1000000000! Main theme of that movie is so incredibly catchy.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Bogey

I have never received that many points on one post. :D. Though I could easily say the same for your Dickens' reading posts.

Jaakko Keskinen

Quote from: Bogey on October 27, 2014, 01:45:17 PM
Though I could easily say the same for your Dickens' reading posts.

Oh my!  8) I guess the reason I write so much about Dickens is because he is one of those authors that annoys the hell out of you with the bad stuff yet you still want to read it because the stuff that is good is so unbeliavably good. So it affects me more than many other authors that have much more (unbelievably) good stuff and much less bad stuff (Dumas sr., Hugo, Dostoyevsky, Shakespeare, Stevenson, Tolkien, Goethe, Ibsen...).

Sorry about offtopic.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Karl Henning

Dadgummit, I need to get back to Pickwick . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Jaakko Keskinen

Quote from: karlhenning on October 28, 2014, 04:27:54 AM
Dadgummit, I need to get back to Pickwick . . . .

You can't run away from it forever. :D And neither can I. I have never actually read it and after I've tackled Dombey I probably move on to it. I've avoided it probably because it is so fragmentary novel, barely a plot at all (not that it is always necessary, picaresque novel and all that). Although anything is better than Nickleby's plot. And I guess it's early installment weirdness, too different from his other novels (although difference can be refreshing, that's one of the reasons I like Barnaby so much)

- Victor Hugo

Karl Henning

Thing is, I carry my Nook practically each day;  there's no good reason why I've neglected Pickwick.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Bogey

Let's bring this conversation full circle gents. Now playing:

Another beautiful effort by Rachel Portman. 

Take a listen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJ-Hyl3XH_Q

Jaakko Keskinen

My favorite Dickens film music is from Muppet Christmas Carol. I like especially the there goes mr. Scrooge song. In fact, music in pretty much all other Dickens films/tv series is pretty forgettable to me (not that I've seen everyone).

There goes mr. Scrooge is so delightfully catchy and I really like the words. Michael Caine is perfect Scrooge. The muppet puppets fin in a way that one of Dickens's illustrators (Browne) called his characters basically puppets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jzsKJvWiEI

Btw, I really like the guy who plays Ralph in 2001 production of Nickleby.

- Victor Hugo

Bogey

Quote from: Alberich on October 29, 2014, 09:22:51 AM
My favorite Dickens film music is from Muppet Christmas Carol. I like especially the there goes mr. Scrooge song. In fact, music in pretty much all other Dickens films/tv series is pretty forgettable to me (not that I've seen everyone).

There goes mr. Scrooge is so delightfully catchy and I really like the words. Michael Caine is perfect Scrooge. The muppet puppets fin in a way that one of Dickens's illustrators (Browne) called his characters basically puppets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jzsKJvWiEI

Btw, I really like the guy who plays Ralph in 2001 production of Nickleby.

It really was an outstanding cast.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0309912/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#casthttp://www.imdb.com/title/tt0309912/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast

Ralph was the famous Christopher Plummer.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001626/?ref_=tt_cl_t10

Jaakko Keskinen

Sorry, I meant 2001 production, not 2002 that you talked about. I guess I should have been more clear. Haven't actually seen that 2002 production that you talked aboutso can't say much about that. 2001 production the guy who acts Nicholas for some reason doesn't feel right. Not that he was very interesting character in the book either. But Charles Dance, the actor who plays Ralph, is perfect. His face, his sound, his acting style is exactly how I imagine Ralph. A man with that kind of face is perfect to portray villains. I remember seeing him in Alien 3.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001097/?ref_=tt_cl_t5

- Victor Hugo

Bogey

Pulling out what I consider to be one of the best sci-fi scores of all time. From 1968:

Allegedly, Jerry Goldsmith wore a gorilla mask while writing and conducting the score to "better get in touch with the movie." He also used a ram's horn in the process. The result was the first completely atonal score in a Hollywood movie.

Oy, Greg!