Film (movie) Music

Started by vandermolen, August 12, 2008, 12:33:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGSMoeller

Mirror Image

Schnittke wrote a lot of great film works. I encourage everyone on this thread who hasn't heard any of his film music to do so. Start with The Census List.

Bogey

Mono pressing.  Great soundtrack.  As fir the movie, see Movie thread.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bogey

A bit from Steiner tonight from '39 :

Does not exactly capture the west, but I am not too sure when western soundtracks had the flavor I have come to expect.  Of course the Oklahoma Kid serves as a nice backdrop for Cagney and Bogey to be at odds.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Mirror Image

I've really been enjoying Schnittke's film music tonight. Such an individual voice. Here's a list of the films that he composed music for:

-Adventures of a Dentist, film directed by Elem Klimov (1965, material reused in Suite in the Old Style)
-Commissar, film directed by Aleksandr Askoldov (1967, released 1988), based on one of Vasily Grossman's first short stories, "In the Town of Berdichev"
-The Glass Harmonica, animated film directed by Andrei Khrzhanovsky (1968, much material reused in Second Violin Sonata)
-Sport, Sport, Sport, film directed by Elem Klimov (1971)
-You and I, film directed by Larisa Shepitko (1971)
-Butterfly, animated film directed by Andrei Khrzhanovsky (1973)
-The Agony, two-part film directed by Elem Klimov (1974, main theme reused in the finale of the Second Cello Concerto)
-Little Tragedies, three-part TV film directed by Mikhail Schweitzer (1979)
-Ekipazh (Air Crew), film directed by Alexander Mitta (1979)
-Skazka Stranstviy (The Fairytale of the Voyages), film directed by Alexander Mitta (1982)
-Dead Souls, five-part TV miniseries directed by Mikhail Shveytser (1984)
-The Last Days of St. Petersburg (1992, new score for 1927 film, co-written with the composer's son Andrey)
-The Master and Margarita, film directed by Yuri Kara (1994)
-La mouette (fr), film directed by Youli Karassik (fr) (1972)

Mirror Image

I'd love to get more of Bernard Herrmann's film music. I'll have to double check my collection to see what I own, but does anyone recommend anything in particular that I should get? Psycho? The Snows of Kilimanjaro? North By Northwest?

Bogey

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 09, 2014, 08:28:53 PM
I'd love to get more of Bernard Herrmann's film music. I'll have to double check my collection to see what I own, but does anyone recommend anything in particular that I should get? Psycho? The Snows of Kilimanjaro? North By Northwest?

Those are wonderful.  Others not to miss:
The Devil and Daniel Webster
The Ghost and Mrs. Muir
The Day the Earth Stood Still
Vertigo
Jason and the Argonauts

and one that does not usually come up:

and his own thread:

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,12882.0.html

Mirror Image

Quote from: Bogey on November 09, 2014, 08:48:43 PM
The Ghost and Mrs. Muir
Vertigo
Jason and the Argonauts

and his own thread:

Thanks for the suggestions, Bill. I'll check those out. 8)

milk

Jaakko Keskinen

"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Bogey

I am coming to find that it does not matter what one thinks of the film when Desplat waves his baton, though I remember liking this one a bit.  Another winner from this composer that might get a bit lost in his output....maybe not.  The soundtrack is OOP, but can be readily picked up for a low price, so grab one before they do disappear. 

Trivia from IMDB:
Nathan Larson, who had composed the score for the previous film in the series, The Deal (2003), had his score replaced by Alexandre Desplat after Stephen Frears found the first score not suitable. Desplat finished his score in three weeks.

Cato

Quote from: Bogey on November 09, 2014, 08:48:43 PM
The Ghost and Mrs. Muir
Vertigo
Jason and the Argonauts

and his own thread:

On Dangerous Ground is incredible!  The above CD is the original soundtrack, which unfortunately was not properly preserved.  Still, it is Herrmann conducting.  A new recording of the complete soundtrack would be nice. 

Check out the movie itself: not a bad film noir.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

milk

Bogey

Another classic Steiner score tonight from '51.  Have not seen this one in an age.  In fact, the plot escapes me.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Bogey on November 24, 2014, 04:20:07 PM
. . . In fact, the plot escapes me.

That could be a Mercy of Memory   0:)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Bogey

Cato

A new movie called Mr. Turner about the English painter has a score by Gary Yershon, which has been favorably reviewed by the Wall Street Journal (as was the movie itself).

An excerpt:

QuoteWhat's special about Gary Yershon's score for the Mike Leigh film "Mr. Turner" is apparent from its opening moments. As the camera finds the artist J.M.W. Turner, sketchbook in hand in a sun-strewn field, a high whistling sound arrives and long, thoughtful tones bend as if intended to disorient gently. They are somehow icy and warm at the same time.

Those first notes emerge not from a synthesizer or a theremin, but from a sopranino saxophone. Soon other members of the saxophone family join in with their own languid lines: soprano, alto and tenor, in that order—not the customary saxophone quartet, which ranges upward to soprano from baritone. A string quartet enters, adding lithe heft to the environment as the reeds recede. The music isn't intended to evoke the early- to mid-19th century in which the tale is set. (Adolphe Sax patented his namesake instrument in 1846, by which time Turner was in his 70s.) Nor is it particularly British, as was the landscape artist. Thus, a statement has been made: A complex, unexpected man, Turner is timeless.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/modern-music-for-a-period-piece-1419292567?KEYWORDS=Turner

Bogey

Quote from: Cato on December 23, 2014, 05:29:41 AM
A new movie called Mr. Turner about the English painter has a score by Gary Yershon, which has been favorably reviewed by the Wall Street Journal (as was the movie itself).

An excerpt:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/modern-music-for-a-period-piece-1419292567?KEYWORDS=Turner

What's special about Gary Yershon's score for the Mike Leigh film "Mr. Turner" is apparent from its opening moments. As the camera finds the artist

Might be this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzkETBix3WQ

I never heard of this composer until your post, Cato.  Based on what I am hearing, I might throw this one on the shelf.  Pretty dark and haunting.  Brought to mind this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz13T6pd_R0

Cato

Quote from: Bogey on December 23, 2014, 05:51:18 AM
Might be this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzkETBix3WQ

I never heard of this composer until your post, Cato.  Based on what I am hearing, I might throw this one on the shelf.  Pretty dark and haunting.  Brought to mind this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz13T6pd_R0

Many thanks for the link!

The movie is not yet playing here in the Sahara of the Bozart, but maybe one of the independent theaters will give it a chance.

Bogey

Quote from: Cato on December 23, 2014, 06:43:08 AM
Many thanks for the link!

The movie is not yet playing here in the Sahara of the Bozart, but maybe one of the independent theaters will give it a chance.

Bottom line:  Film music is cool.  I have been going through my collection lately and re-enjoying many scores.  I want to start buying some more scores, so whenever you come a across a new gem please post it here, Cato.