Film (movie) Music

Started by vandermolen, August 12, 2008, 12:33:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Rons_talking

My favorite scores include:

Planet of the Apes (it must have been a composer's dream to score) by Jerry Goldsmith

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir by Bernard Herrman. It's really touching and makes the film shine.

Rebel Without a Cause by Alan Rosenmann. His scores are the most Schoenbergian of film composers. Creates that eery mood.

Psycho..need I say more?

The Natural. Randy Newman's best score. It makes the movie.

The Day the Earth Stood Still. Again Bernard Herrman

I'm not counting scores by concert music composers unless the film is a classic. Copland's Mice and Men and Our Town are excellent, but it's hard to find the films.

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir is my favorite score...

Cato

Quote from: Rons_talking on January 07, 2015, 01:49:44 AM

Planet of the Apes (it must have been a composer's dream to score) by Jerry Goldsmith

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir by Bernard Herrman. It's really touching and makes the film shine.

Rebel Without a Cause by Alan Rosenmann. His scores are the most Schoenbergian of film composers. Creates that eery mood.

Psycho..need I say more?

The Natural. Randy Newman's best Copland's score. It makes the movie.

I'm not counting scores by concert music composers unless the film is a classic. Copland's Mice and Men and Our Town are excellent, but it's hard to find the films.

It says nothing about a restoration, but the price is not bad:

[asin]6305081832[/asin]

Some reviewers complain about the sound and picture quality, others do not:

[asin]B0000D9PFA[/asin]
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

vandermolen

Quote from: Rons_talking on January 07, 2015, 01:49:44 AM

Psycho..need I say more?

The Natural. Randy Newman's best Copland's score. It makes the movie.

Very much agree with you, especially in relation to 'The Ghost and Mrs Muir', a wonderfully haunting ( no pun intended) score + the original Planet of the Apes by Jerry Goldsmith.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Been enjoying this during my long car journey to work having watched the film on TV over Christmas:
[asin]B003647BQ8[/asin]
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Bogey

Quote from: vandermolen on January 07, 2015, 12:37:02 PM
Been enjoying this during my long car journey to work having watched the film on TV over Christmas:
[asin]B003647BQ8[/asin]

No doubt.

Cato

Quote from: vandermolen on January 07, 2015, 12:37:02 PM
[asin]B003647BQ8[/asin]

Miklos Rosza was one of the greats: I used to hang onto an FM radio with a 3-inch speaker on Sunday mornings hoping that a certain station, which played music from Biblical movies at that time, would play something from Ben-Hur or King of Kings, etc.  They also played things from El Cid (not Biblical, but "religious" in a way).

Cato

Yesterday we watched Bullitt with the famous chase scene through San Francisco.

My wife says at a few points: "Oh, that hokey music from the '60's!"

Lalo Schifrin was responsible: to be sure, one scene includes jazzy   8)   flute music   8)   being played in a coffee shop  8)  and it is fairly hokey!

On the other hand, jazzy flute music could just be an acquired taste!  And at times I thought the score held up after c. 47 years fairly well.

Bogey

Quote from: Cato on January 11, 2015, 03:51:14 AM

Lalo Schifrin was responsible: to be sure, one scene includes jazzy   8)   flute music   8)   being played in a coffee shop  8)  and it is fairly hokey!

On the other hand, jazzy flute music could just be an acquired taste!  And at times I thought the score held up after c. 47 years fairly well.

Let her know that that score was popular enough for them to re-release it on vinyl, which then quickly sold out. ;D

http://www.amazon.com/Bullitt-200-gram-Limited-Numbered-Download/dp/B00JWWB6WI/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1420985740&sr=1-3&keywords=bullitt

PS I am still considering it. Just not sure which format I want.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Cato on January 11, 2015, 03:51:14 AM

There was a Schifrin score which was a fine asset to a Night Gallery episode . . . now, do I remember which one? . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

I think it may have been "The Ghost of Sorworth Place."  Will check . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Cato

It might not be supererogatory to point out that Schifrin composed the title music for the Mission: Impossible series, which music I believe still appears in the movies, much like the James Bond theme by John Barry.

Karl Henning

Yes, his music has become a pop culture keyword!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Cato

Quote from: karlhenning on January 12, 2015, 05:16:06 AM
There was a Schifrin score which was a fine asset to a Night Gallery episode . . . now, do I remember which one? . . .

Quote from: karlhenning on January 12, 2015, 05:16:55 AM
I think it may have been "The Ghost of Sorworth Place."  Will check . . . .

IMDB lists nothing for Night Gallery, so either my eyes have deceived me (always possible these days), or you have found a gap in their data!

vandermolen

This score by Patrick Cassidy is very moving. Quite mono thematic but very soulful and moving, reminding me a bit of the score for 'Sarah's Key'. The movie itself is excellent if you haven't seen it:
[asin]B00JH6AFGW[/asin]

Cato

Quote from: vandermolen on January 21, 2015, 11:48:40 AM
This score by Patrick Cassidy is very moving.

I was intrigued by the German on the CD cover, and looked up Patrick Cassidy: his website gives him credit for King Arthur (Clive Owen, Keira Knightley) but other sources IMDB)  list Hans Zimmer for that movie's score.

Is there another King Arthur movie or mini-series?

vandermolen

Quote from: Cato on January 21, 2015, 12:53:52 PM
I was intrigued by the German on the CD cover, and looked up Patrick Cassidy: his website gives him credit for King Arthur (Clive Owen, Keira Knightley) but other sources IMDB)  list Hans Zimmer for that movie's score.

Is there another King Arthur movie or mini-series?

Not sure Leo but the Calvary score is very fine. Weirdly, I am listening to it now and was momentarily reminded of 'Gladiator' which was by Hans Zimmer!

Bogey

Quote from: vandermolen on January 21, 2015, 11:48:40 AM
Quite mono thematic but very soulful and moving, reminding me a bit of the score for 'Sarah's Key'.

We used to call this "the possibility of a memorable theme" with soundtracks.  Just not a heck of a lot of scores that keep themes present throughout movies these days.  Howard Shore did a nice job with his LOTR/Hobbit work, but it seems to me (and this just may be me) that most recent scores can have good clips, but rarely do I walk out humming a theme or saying, "I need to have that piece/soudtrack NOW!"   

Ken B

Quote from: Bogey on January 21, 2015, 03:41:20 PM
We used to call this "the possibility of a memorable theme" with soundtracks.  Just not a heck of a lot of scores that keep a themes present throughout movies these days.  Howard Shore did a nice job with his LOTR/Hobbit work, but it seems to me (and this just may be me) that most recent scores can have good clips, but rarely do I walk out humming a theme or saying, "I need to have that piece/soudtrack NOW!"

Least of all, Les Miserables!