Friedrich Cerha (1926)

Started by Henk, August 15, 2008, 07:07:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDL

Quote from: petrArch on August 15, 2008, 03:32:34 PM
His Spiegel cycle (7 pieces) is fantastic, especially I-IV.

I heard and taped three of the Spiegel pieces broadcast by BBC3, of course, in the '80s and really enjoyed them, but thought that they were a bit second-tier Ligeti and Penderecki. In 2001, I got hold of the complete set via Amazon (it's never been released in the UK). I think most of the pieces are still worth hearing, but, some amazing moments aside, none them are as good as Atmospheres or Threnody.

some guy

petrArch, I just got that 12 CD set myself the other day. I won't have time to listen to it all before I leave for Europe (8 festivals in 12 weeks!), but I've been enjoying what I've heard so far. I particularly like the Klangkompositionen.

How've you been enjoying that set?

petrarch

Quote from: some guy on August 11, 2009, 07:03:49 PM
petrArch, I just got that 12 CD set myself the other day. I won't have time to listen to it all before I leave for Europe (8 festivals in 12 weeks!), but I've been enjoying what I've heard so far. I particularly like the Klangkompositionen.

I like it a lot, except perhaps for Baal, but then I tend not to like that sort of vocal music.
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

UB

Quote from: some guy on August 11, 2009, 07:03:49 PM

Someguy and petrArch - Where did you get your sets from? The only source I find is Amazon.de from a secondary seller.  Thanks
I am not in the entertainment business. Harrison Birtwistle 2010

petrarch

Quote from: UB on February 26, 2010, 11:52:12 PM
Someguy and petrArch - Where did you get your sets from? The only source I find is Amazon.de from a secondary seller.  Thanks

I got mine directly from ORF's website.
//p
The music collection.
A view of the whole

some guy

petrarch

Just found this at a store. Haven't heard it in full yet (still away traveling), but it does have some early works by Cerha that sound interesting from a quick scan.

http://shop.orf.at/orf/shop.tmpl?art=536

//p
The music collection.
A view of the whole

petrarch

Got these two in the mail yesterday. Listening to the first one at the moment. This new recording of Spiegel sounds cleaner and less diffuse than the one on Col Legno, although the older recording sounds more 'organic' to my ears and has the tape much more in evidence. And once again it reminded me how I truly enjoy it--a good complement to the great orchestral textures of Ligeti, Scelsi and Penderecki.

[asin]B003JSQOAK[/asin]

[asin]B004OGDW2O[/asin]
//p
The music collection.
A view of the whole

snyprrr

Quote from: petrarch on October 16, 2011, 01:51:49 AM
Got these two in the mail yesterday. Listening to the first one at the moment. This new recording of Spiegel sounds cleaner and less diffuse than the one on Col Legno, although the older recording sounds more 'organic' to my ears and has the tape much more in evidence. And once again it reminded me how I truly enjoy it--a good complement to the great orchestral textures of Ligeti, Scelsi and Penderecki.

[asin]B003JSQOAK[/asin]

[asin]B004OGDW2O[/asin]

I'm considering Spiegel. Which one again?

some guy

Quote from: petrarch on August 12, 2009, 04:21:35 AM
I like it a lot, except perhaps for Baal, but then I tend not to like that sort of vocal music.
Just listened to this again. I've been going through my CDs according to a simple randomisation. It forces me to listen to things I don't particularly like, like Baal.

The payoff is that sometimes I find I'm really digging the thing I didn't used to like, like Baal.

Anyway, I'm just glad I like it now. I like liking things better than not liking things.

(Or, as Cage put it in that performance of Waterwalk on youtube, "I prefer laughter to crying.")

snyprrr

some guy

The one petrarch got.

It's a two CD set with Monumentum and Momente as well. Can't be beat.

There are other recordings of Monumentum, but this is the only one of Momente I know of.

petrarch

Quote from: snyprrr on December 15, 2011, 06:16:40 AM
Which Spiegel should I get?

Both :). The one on Col Legno is a favorite and there are discernible differences between that one and the one on Kairos, namely the burbly sounds on tape in Spiegel IV on the earlier release. The latter is good because it is a pristine modern recording, on SACD, and for the first time I thought that Spiegel VII at realistic sound levels would bring down the house.
//p
The music collection.
A view of the whole

MDL

Quote from: petrarch on December 15, 2011, 06:04:49 PM
Both :). The one on Col Legno is a favorite and there are discernible differences between that one and the one on Kairos, namely the burbly sounds on tape in Spiegel IV on the earlier release. The latter is good because it is a pristine modern recording, on SACD, and for the first time I thought that Spiegel VII at realistic sound levels would bring down the house.

The new Kairos offers clearer, more detailed sound and comes with extensive notes, although I'm still hanging on to my old CL recording which has its moments.

snyprrr

Still haven't gotten 'Spiegel'. :(

Mandryka

Quote from: petrarch on August 15, 2008, 03:32:34 PM
His Spiegel cycle (7 pieces) is fantastic, especially I-IV.

A comment made 14 years ago! But I wonder why you singled out the first four.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darĂ¼ber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Can anyone share with me recordings of the Langegger Nachtmusik I - III? There was one in the ORF Dokumente box but that has now become impossible to find (though there's one at an affordable price in the States, if anyone wants to do a deal with me for it.)
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darĂ¼ber muss man schweigen

petrarch

Quote from: Mandryka on September 02, 2022, 12:01:16 AM
A comment made 14 years ago! But I wonder why you singled out the first four.

I meant I-IV as an arc, as IV is the highpoint of the cycle for me.

Quote from: Mandryka on September 02, 2022, 12:03:50 AM
Can anyone share with me recordings of the Langegger Nachtmusik I - III? There was one in the ORF Dokumente box but that has now become impossible to find (though there's one at an affordable price in the States, if anyone wants to do a deal with me for it.)

I have the box and will rip those works shortly. It only has I and III, not II.
//p
The music collection.
A view of the whole