toledobass

A nice hamburger and an arugula salad. 

Allan

Maciek

I'm glad someone with an appropriate avatar started this one! ;D

SonicMan46

Quote from: toledobass on April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM
A nice hamburger and an arugula salad. 

Allan - assume this is the only thread on EATING! Can't believe virtually no responses?  Must get this one goin' -  ;D

Well, April is my birthday month & LOML always 'feels' that we should go out to celebrate - really not my preference, but a good excuse for her not to cook, I guess -  ;) :D

So, went to one of my favorite local restaurants - Bernardin's - menu here - ordered my 'usual' although all is outstanding!

Started w/ 'Seared Tuna Carpaccio' on a wonderful 'little' salad, followed by 'Seared Ostrich plate' - both just great; of course, wine needed - a couple glasses of Acacia Pinot Noir - we did skip dessert -  :'(, but the 'Warm Banana Walnut Tartlet' is absolutely superb!  Wonderful evening out -  :)

m_gigena

Cake. (Basically, leftovers from my birthday celebration)

toledobass

Quote from: SonicMan on April 20, 2007, 06:34:13 PM
Allan - assume this is the only thread on EATING! Can't believe virtually no responses?  Must get this one goin' -  ;D

Well, April is my birthday month & LOML always 'feels' that we should go out to celebrate - really not my preference, but a good excuse for her not to cook, I guess -  ;) :D

So, went to one of my favorite local restaurants - Bernardin's - menu here - ordered my 'usual' although all is outstanding!

Started w/ 'Seared Tuna Carpaccio' on a wonderful 'little' salad, followed by 'Seared Ostrich plate' - both just great; of course, wine needed - a couple glasses of Acacia Pinot Noir - we did skip dessert -  :'(, but the 'Warm Banana Walnut Tartlet' is absolutely superb!  Wonderful evening out -  :)

Sonic,

Yeah this wasn't a frequently hit thread in the old forum either,  but I enjoy posting about what I cook and eat and it got hits from time to time so here it is!!!!!

That menu looks nice,  asian accents throughout.  Here is one thing that seems absolutly wrong to me though:

French Onion Soup
Provolone cheese | $5.95

Provolone?  of all the ways to screw up onion soup............and from a CIA grad as well.

and:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!

Allan

SonicMan46

Quote from: toledobass on April 21, 2007, 04:54:32 AM
That menu looks nice,  asian accents throughout.  Here is one thing that seems absolutly wrong to me though:

French Onion Soup
Provolone cheese | $5.95

Provolone?  of all the ways to screw up onion soup............and from a CIA grad as well.

Allan - I'm not a fan of onion soup, so have not given that one a try; the owner is from NYC and indeed is Asian, so the flavors are quite complex & interesting; wife had a shrimp dish w/ a sweet potato puree & broccholi (some other veggies), but the flavors were just multi-faceted - we love dishes like that!  Dave :D

Bogey

Another happy birthday Dave!

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

SonicMan46

Quote from: Bill on April 21, 2007, 06:02:19 AM

Bill - better not show that pic to the LOML!  One of our favorite pastimes, lobster & clams!  In-laws have a house in Montauk @ the tip of Long Island (FIL past away a year ago Christmas, so we don't travel up there much) - but if anyone is in the vicinity - give Gossman's Dock a try - seafood restaurant w/ fish market & shops; but one of our luncheon past times was to order 'Lobster in the Rough' - small steamed lobster w/ some steamers & a few sides; eaten outside watching the boats returning & leaving Long Island Sound -  :P :D  Dave

Bogey

Quote from: SonicMan on April 21, 2007, 06:27:31 AM
  Bill - better not show that pic to the LOML!  One of our favorite pastimes, lobster & clams!  In-laws have a house in Montauk @ the tip of Long Island (FIL past away a year ago Christmas, so we don't travel up there much) - but if anyone is in the vicinity - give Gossman's Dock a try - seafood restaurant w/ fish market & shops; but one of our luncheon past times was to order 'Lobster in the Rough' - small steamed lobster w/ some steamers & a few sides; eaten outside watching the boats returning & leaving Long Island Sound -  :P :D  Dave

I hit the one in Trenton, Maine when we visit my home state....however, I usually fly solo as my LOML does not care for seafood, nor does my son. :o ;D  However, my 4 year-old daughter went with me last time and seemed to take a liking to it....however, she filled up on the steamers before ever embarking on her lobster.  I went ahead and suffered the task of eating it for her.   :DLOL
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

toledobass

I'm headed to Bar Harbor,  Maine in the summer.  You guys have any recs?

Allan

SonicMan46

Quote from: toledobass on April 21, 2007, 07:39:39 AM

Allan - I've been to Maine only a couple of times (but would love to return!) - love lobster rolls for lunch & lobster @ night!  Bill, is there also a 'lobster omlet' for breakfast?  ;D

Our longest trip was a one-week vacation, and we had lobster daily in all sorts of places, always great there.  We did spend a few days in Bar Harbor - wonderful place - Acadia National Park is beautiful; also, took a boat trip to look for puffins (if you're into bird watching).  I can't remember the restaurants (probably been 15 yrs or so); but 'google' dining in Bar Harbor or pick up some new guide books - you should be able to find plenty of places (hope you like seafood!).

Bill might have some more recent recommendations - have a great trip, Dave -  :)

Bogey

Quote from: toledobass on April 21, 2007, 07:39:39 AM

Allan

Yes, the Trenton shack posted above.  About a 15 minute drive out of the town.  There are two shacks in Trenton....make sure you hit the above.

toledobass

Howdy Billy,

Thanks for that rec.  I'll be sure and hit it while I'm out there. 

I'm headed out for a nice bowl of pho.  My favorite is fatty brisket,  tendon and tripe.  I'll get good and jacked up on a vietnamese coffee too. woohooo!!!

Allan

Haffner

Supa-yum Jif crunchy peanut butter and Smucker's strawberry preserves, JA!

Bogey

A plate of (cooked) small yellow potatoes, carrots, and peas all doused in:

Any other hot sauce fans out there?  What are your favorites that can actually be purchased? ;D

toledobass

I love that sauce but haven't had it in a long time.  It has a great unique flavor.  I've been using this stuff a ton lately:

Allan

hornteacher

A cup of french vanilla ice cream with a mug of hot tea.

Bogey

Quote from: hornteacher on April 23, 2007, 05:40:06 PM
A cup of french vanilla ice cream with a mug of hot tea.

Type of tea?

hornteacher

Quote from: Bill on April 23, 2007, 05:40:44 PM
Type of tea?

Just regular Lipton Decaf.  I usually don't get fancy when eating ice cream.  Its the hot vs cold that I like.

Bogey

Quote from: hornteacher on April 23, 2007, 05:58:03 PM
Just regular Lipton Decaf.  I usually don't get fancy when eating ice cream.  Its the hot vs cold that I like.

Yes. Lipton has been "shelved" a bit by many, including myself, but when I occasionally have a cup, I am always pleased with it....the taste always brings back good memories for me as this is what my mother drank when I was a kid....she still prefers it to this day.