Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 990859 times)

Offline vers la flamme

• Veteran member
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #10460 on: Today at 04:09:32 PM »

Thank you for the comment. I like Mishima as a romantic aesthete, but Just as most readers, I don’t like his philosophy or political ideology.  Mishima found the post-ww2 Japanese society excessively Americanized, ugly, and disagreeable (How would you feel if Americans start wearing Chinese cloth and using Chinese letters and Chinese military/soldiers station in the land ?).   I find his ultra nationalistic view anachronistic, and somewhat comical. But I don’t see his political ideology in his literal works much. In the realm of literary works, I assume, Mishima is largely a romantic (or hardcore) aesthete while Endo is a moralist writer.

In The Sailor, I didn't find much in the way of political ideology, but the writer of this very opinionated wikipedia article seems to think the whole thing is a metaphor for the American occupation of Japan...:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sailor_Who_Fell_from_Grace_with_the_Sea

Someone needs to edit this article and make it less opinionated...

I just started Cormac McCarthy's No Country for Old Men yesterday and I'm about 2/3 of the way through. It's a very easy read, lots of dialogue.