What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

toledobass

One of my favorite places for chinese food closed many months ago to move out of the city and into one of the suburbs.  I just found out that the space has new owners and in it is a place offering all kinds of Hong Kong style noodles so I'm headed there for lunch.

Allan

SonicMan46

Well, this thread has been dormant for about 2 weeks!  :o

Spending an 'overnight' in Charlotte, NC - goin' to see a Norman Rockwell exhibit tomorrow at Discovery Place - he's really not one of our favorite artists, but the exhibit is touring nationally and there are plenty of 'originals', so should be fun!

But back to gustatory pleasures -  ;D  Tonight, we ate @ a great Mediterranean Basin restaurant called Blue Restaurant, our first try!  Recipes from countries around the Mediterranean Sea - dinner menu HERE; we both started out w/ a salad, Poached Pear & Baby Argula (BTW, the breads were just fresh & delicious to start!); I had the Whole Roasted Mediterranean Sea Bass, filleted @ the table - one of the moistest & tender fish that I've had in a while - just a fabulous dish; wife had the Grilled and Spiced Moroccan Lamb Loin, spiced & grilled perfectly (had a couple bites!) - could go back immediately!  Couple of glasses of St. Supery Sauvignon Blanc; then shared the Baklava dessert (very different w/ a superb sauce) - just a great experience which we hope to repeat in the near future.  :)

Anne

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: SonicMan on March 08, 2008, 07:25:29 PM
Spending an 'overnight' in Charlotte, NC - goin' to see a Norman Rockwell exhibit tomorrow at Discovery Place - he's really not one of our favorite artists...

Nor mine, but his images are so deeply ingrained in the psyche of Americans of a certain age that I would like to see that exhibit too.

I had the Whole Roasted Mediterranean Sea Bass, filleted @ the table - one of the moistest & tender fish that I've had in a while - just a fabulous dish; wife had the Grilled and Spiced Moroccan Lamb Loin, spiced & grilled perfectly...

That's the agonizing problem with this kind of restaurant: what to choose! Fish or lamb. Both sound utterly delicious.

We're currently enjoying ALL our favorite restaurants in a quite unique way: smoke free! Smoking in restaurants has finally been banned in our state (Rheinland-Pfalz).

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

SonicMan46

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 10, 2008, 07:27:39 AM
Nor mine, but his images are so deeply ingrained in the psyche of Americans of a certain age that I would like to see that exhibit too.

That's the agonizing problem with this kind of restaurant: what to choose! Fish or lamb. Both sound utterly delicious.

We're currently enjoying ALL our favorite restaurants in a quite unique way: smoke free! Smoking in restaurants has finally been banned in our state (Rheinland-Pfalz).

Sarge - the Rockwell exhibit was outstanding - much more than I expected - a better description HERE; many of the Saturday Evening Post covers were presented w/ small exhibits covering early to mid-20th century Americana - even sat in the seat of a Model T Ford & WWII jeep - lot of interactive activities (for adults & kids!); all of the Post covers were present - there were only 2 'original paintings which were so vividly colorful vs. the covers they produced (wish that more had been present) - a recommendation for anyone who has a chance to see this exhibit.

BTW - need to get back to that restaurant soon!  I could have ordered about anything on that menu (the lamb was superb!) -  :D  Dave

Lady Chatterley

I made Mousaka for my husbands 60th birthday party tomorrow.I layered a dish with sliced potatoes,eggplant and ground lamb sauted with onions ,peppers , tomatoes and nutmeg.I'll put a topping of egg yolks,yogurt and lemon on top just before I bake it tomorrow. The house smells wonderful,I better go make myself a sandwich...

Lethevich

I've just finished making burgers using "George Foreman's Lean Mean Grillers". This will no doubt horrify some of you! ;D I don't follow the bs that they are healthy, but they taste nice :)
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

greg

today:
breakfast- 2 packs of oatmeal
lunch- meat & bean burrito, cup of soup, pretzels, chips

later today:
(in a few hours) dinner 1- sandwich (meat, cheese, mayonnaise), peanut butter crackers, chips, whatever i can find; maybe i'll buy a honey bun or poptarts from the vending machine
at ~10 at night: dinner 2, whatever it may be (whatever my mom makes for dinner)

Papageno

My life, and rather quickly.

orbital

Vegetable samosa, Bhindi Dopiaza (Okra cooked with tomatoes, onions and spices) and rice. Kheer (rice pudding) for dessert. A few hours ago, that is. It was my only meal for the day  :-\

toledobass

Just wolfed down an OG (bacon egg and cheese sandwich).

Allan

маразм1

A ham, cheese, mayo sandwich on toasted rye bread.  With tomato and avocado on the side.  Made it myself this morning :)

toledobass

Quote from: маразм1 on March 12, 2008, 08:15:39 AM
A ham, cheese, mayo sandwich on toasted rye bread.  With tomato and avocado on the side.  Made it myself this morning :)

Looks like all you're missing is some good mustard!!!!  Sounds yummy anyway.

Allan

маразм1

ha, and for tomorrow!  Mashed potatoes and a Veal Cutlet stuffed with mushrooms, onions, and dill.  yum!

SonicMan46

Tonight, LOML made a wonderful 'stir-fried' steak-vegetable dish over whole-grain rice - buffalo fillet milon used (pic attached) - usually like a red wine w/ this dish, so opened a few new 'inexpensive' acquisitions, i.e. a local North Carolina '06 red blend from RayLen (just up I-40 about 20 mins away from home) & the newest Columbia Crest '05 Merlot (Grand Estates) - neither wine was really great (the Carolina red demonstrated the often 'weediness' from the area; the white wines are usually better here);  the CC Merlot was quite pleasant, but a little low in acid & tannin, so as I often do in this situation, I MIXED the two!  Both were inexpensive so 'what the hell' - as usual, the combination was an improvement!  Thus, a wonderful dinner & a pleasant wine!  ;D

toledobass

Went to my favorite place in Toledo and had a nice bowl of be bim bop.

Allan

SonicMan46

Quote from: toledobass on March 12, 2008, 06:20:20 PM
Went to my favorite place in Toledo and had a nice bowl of be bim bop.

Allan - looks like we had 'similar' dishes tonight, although I'm sure yours had a lot more HEAT!  The recipe for the dish that I had tonight was more Japanese, i.e. a lot of flavor but not really that HOT!  :o   But, still excellent!

BTW - you probably needed the extra HEAT to melt all of that snow you got!  ;) :D   Hope you made it home safely from Chicago - saw that in another thread, I believe - Dave  :)

toledobass

Quote from: SonicMan on March 12, 2008, 06:30:28 PM
Allan - looks like we had 'similar' dishes tonight, although I'm sure yours had a lot more HEAT!  The recipe for the dish that I had tonight was more Japanese, i.e. a lot of flavor but not really that HOT!  :o   But, still excellent!

BTW - you probably needed the extra HEAT to melt all of that snow you got!  ;) :D   Hope you made it home safely from Chicago - saw that in another thread, I believe - Dave  :)

They put the kojuchang sauce in a little bowl for you to add to your own taste (I think that's the name of that sauce.) I love spicy so I used all of mine and some of the leftover that my dining companions didn't use.  Along with the nice heat I love the flavor of that stuff.

The snow is actually melting away pretty fast as the sun has been out most days since the weekend.  The trip home was the worst, didn't end up getting everything wrapped up (pickup luggage,  return rental car, etc) till monday at around 3.  We left Ca Friday night!!!

Allan

George

Organic Amaranth Flakes

Organic Almond Milk

It's better than it sounds.  :)

Papageno

Quote from: SonicMan on March 12, 2008, 05:48:15 PM
Tonight, LOML made a wonderful 'stir-fried' steak-vegetable dish over whole-grain rice - buffalo fillet milon used (pic attached) - usually like a red wine w/ this dish, so opened a few new 'inexpensive' acquisitions, i.e. a local North Carolina '06 red blend from RayLen (just up I-40 about 20 mins away from home) & the newest Columbia Crest '05 Merlot (Grand Estates) - neither wine was really great (the Carolina red demonstrated the often 'weediness' from the area; the white wines are usually better here);  the CC Merlot was quite pleasant, but a little low in acid & tannin, so as I often do in this situation, I MIXED the two!  Both were inexpensive so 'what the hell' - as usual, the combination was an improvement!  Thus, a wonderful dinner & a pleasant wine!  ;D

You've got your wine-glass on the wrong side, it should be on the right of your dish.