What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogey

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 08, 2007, 04:21:13 PM
This looks incredibly good to me but Mrs. Rock, being German, must have Schwein by-products in her dogs.

Bogey, you notice we're neck and neck in the race to make Veteran?  ;D

Sarge

Correction Sarge,
Hold the 10th element listed above.  In the words of Dirty Harry: "Nobody, but nobody, puts ketchup on a hot dog anymore!"

As far as posts....blaze the path brother!
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

toledobass

For dogs,  Tony Packo's in Toledo is something to experience.  I also like going to Grey's Papaya in NYC.

Allan

George

Iago

Ketchup on a hot-dog?????

Maybe Relish, but never ketchup.
Mustard and Sauerkraut are the only ways to go.

You sure ain't from Brooklyn....The home of Nathans Famous in Coney Island.
"Good", is NOT good enough, when "better" is expected

George

Millet-Rice Organic Cereal

with

Unsweetened Soy Milk (Silk)

Good morning universe!!

8)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Bogey on June 08, 2007, 05:30:44 PM
Correction Sarge,
Hold the 10th element listed above.  In the words of Dirty Harry: "Nobody, but nobody, puts ketchup on a hot dog anymore!"

A great dog doesn't need it. But when I get that insane craving (maybe once a year) for the food of my childhood and break open a pack of Oscar Meyer, the more ketchup the better  ;D  In fact, I dislike the common hot dog (I didn't even like it as a kid but was forced to eat it or starve). I only eat that kind of hot dog now as an excuse to load up on, and enjoy, the condiments. The explosion in your mouth created by the clash of flavors--French's mustard (must be French's...I'm creating the common midwestern man's cheap food here), Heinz ketchup and relish, and a good onion--can't be beat.

The Holy Grail of dogs was the garlic hot dog served in the 50s, 60s at Cleveland Indians' games at the old, and much lamented now, lakeside stadium (officially Municiple Stadium but I don't recall people actually calling it that). That marvelous dog needed nothing extra, not even mustard. Just plain glorious meat on a bun.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Bogey

Before I discovered the Chicago style as an adult we always had these red hot dogs....yum:

But yet another work of art:

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

George

For Dinner:

(with chocolate chips)

Ben and Jerry's Triple Scoop (No Sugar Added)

toledobass

Quote from: Bogey on June 09, 2007, 10:12:30 AM
Before I discovered the Chicago style as an adult we always had these red hot dogs....yum:

Bogey,

When I visit our cottage in Upstate NY they have hot dogs that look like that and some white ones too.  I've always heard them called 'red hots' and 'white hots' up there.

Allan

toledobass

Quote from: George on June 09, 2007, 03:57:27 PM
For Dinner:

(with chocolate chips)

Ben and Jerry's Triple Scoop (No Sugar Added)

mmmmmm....Looks good George.  I thought you were vegan?  I just bought an ice cream maker and have my first batch of the base cooling in the fridge and waiting to go into the machine tomorrow.

Allan

George

Quote from: toledobass on June 09, 2007, 04:50:20 PM
mmmmmm....Looks good George.  I thought you were vegan?  I just bought an ice cream maker and have my first batch of the base cooling in the fridge and waiting to go into the machine tomorrow.

Allan

No, I'm not a Vegan. I tried it, but it didn't work out for me. Homemade ice cream is the greatest! Enjoy!  :)

SonicMan46

Well, off on a long weekend vacation 'up the road' in the Virginia Mountains in Charlottesville - staying @ the Boar's Head Inn (runned by the U. of VA - conference complex but quite pleasant w/ an excellent restaurant - 'The Old Mill' - check out the Menu Here; we had a nice 2-day package, room + 2 meals):  Last night had the the tuna carpaccio/lobster tail appetizer w/ the trout as the main course - along w/ a couple of glasses of Pinot Grigio from Barboursville Winery (about 30 mins drive) - many of the Virginia wineries are in this area - visited a couple today; tonight, had the smoked trout appetizer (done 'in house' w/ home-made horseradish) + the veal chop (don't order this often - usually not that good - but this one was just juicy & succulent) - a recommendation.

Tomorrow morning off to Hot Springs, VA (near the West VA border) for 2 nights @ The Homestead, an old famous resort; again a package deal w/ 2 meals; stayed there about 20 yrs ago & remember some great dinners, but will report back - pic below:

toledobass

Looks good Dave.  I thought it might be a leftover Fall menu when I saw the butternut squash soup!!!  That warm frisee salad is something I make for myself from time to time.  Straight out of French bistro cooking.  Well, enjoy the rest of your travels.

Here's my dinner tonight:

Some nice fresh (blue!!!) eggs and some fresh pasta

turned into pasta carbonara

Allan

orbital

Had my favorite spaghetti in our tucked-away Tribeca spot. Called Spaghetti Del Pedrino, it is made with  julienne beets, escarole, capers, garlic, olive oil, and colatura. The beets give the dish its distinctive color. Very light too  :) A glass of Salentino and afterwards, Napoli style cheesecake

BachQ

Zucchini lasagna made with buffalo ........ mmmmmm

SonicMan46

Quote from: toledobass on June 09, 2007, 06:56:01 PM
Looks good Dave.  I thought it might be a leftover Fall menu when I saw the butternut squash soup!!!  That warm frisee salad is something I make for myself from time to time.  Straight out of French bistro cooking.  Well, enjoy the rest of your travels.

Allan - yeh, some of those places use 'old' recipes, but the food was well prepared and pretty much innovative - just finished the 'first night' in the Virginia mountains - will 'report' back after the second dinner!

But, wanted to ask you about a previous post "For dogs,  Tony Packo's in Toledo is something to experience." - as you may remember (believe we discussed this, but maybe not?), I was born in Toledo, lived there until the late '50s, moved just across the state border into Michigan, so often went into Toledo (until about 1971 - when I move to NC); at any rate, my question is whether Tony Packo's was around back then - I remember a GREAT 'hot dog' place in Toledo, and am assuming that was the one!  Thanks - Dave  :D

SonicMan46

Quote from: D Minor on June 10, 2007, 06:29:45 PM

D Minor - my wife orders buffalo from the web (she has used a number of places in the northern mid-west), both the ground (great for meat sauces) & the filets, which must be cooked pretty much medium rare (just not any fat in this meat, comparable to chicken) - so, if you're looking for a 'red' meat to go w/ your wine of the same color, but want the calories & fat/cholesterol of a chicken breast, then give buffalo a consideration - taste is indeed lean & different, but still quite tasty!  :)

toledobass

Quote from: SonicMan on June 10, 2007, 06:35:42 PM
Allan - yeh, some of those places use 'old' recipes, but the food was well prepared and pretty much innovative - just finished the 'first night' in the Virginia mountains - will 'report' back after the second dinner!

But, wanted to ask you about a previous post "For dogs,  Tony Packo's in Toledo is something to experience." - as you may remember (believe we discussed this, but maybe not?), I was born in Toledo, lived there until the late '50s, moved just across the state border into Michigan, so often went into Toledo (until about 1971 - when I move to NC); at any rate, my question is whether Tony Packo's was around back then - I remember a GREAT 'hot dog' place in Toledo, and am assuming that was the one!  Thanks - Dave  :D

Hey Dave,

Tony Packo's has been around for ever.  Here is some history.

Allan

Kullervo

Inspired by an earlier post by Allan, I decided to make some one-eyed jacks (or toads in a hole, eggy in the basket, moons-over-miami eggs, etc, etc...) They turned out pretty well -- very tasty!

Novi

Quote from: D Minor on June 10, 2007, 06:29:45 PM

Quote from: SonicMan on June 10, 2007, 06:41:15 PM
D Minor - my wife orders buffalo from the web (she has used a number of places in the northern mid-west), both the ground (great for meat sauces) & the filets, which must be cooked pretty much medium rare (just not any fat in this meat, comparable to chicken) - so, if you're looking for a 'red' meat to go w/ your wine of the same color, but want the calories & fat/cholesterol of a chicken breast, then give buffalo a consideration - taste is indeed lean & different, but still quite tasty!  :)

Teehee, must be a vegetarian for too long. I automatically read that as 'zucchini lasagna made with buffalo [mozzarella],' rather than buffalo of the mooing kind.

Zucchini lasagna with buffalo mozzarella sounds good though :).
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den der heimlich lauschet.