What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

toledobass

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 21, 2008, 01:03:38 PM
That's one of my favorite meals, Allan. I roast a chicken nearly every week and broccoli usually goes with it. I alternate baked potatoes with potato salad.

Sarge

Mine too Sarge.  I am hardly ever in the mood for baked potatoes or broccoli, usually opting for mashed if I make them at all, and some sort of leafy green that I can wilt a la minute, but for some reason those baked potatoes have been calling out and since the Mrs picked up the broccoli I don't have much choice in what veg to cook tonight.  It's cool though I'm looking forward to our old school dinner tonight.

I always say if I had to choose one preperation to live with for the rest of my life it would be roast chicken and if I had to choose one animal that I was able to prepare any way I please it would be the pig.

Allan  

Allan

toledobass

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 21, 2008, 01:10:25 PM
I tell you, it was perfection. Completely crispy skin but the meat itself was succulent. Mrs. Rock rules. (She's nornally cooks our fish meals. I still have trouble gettting fish right.) Her rice and spinach were sensational too, the spinach in olive oil and butter with chunks of garlic.

Sarge

I find fish and rice to be 2 of the hardest things to master so right on!!!

Allan

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: toledobass on March 21, 2008, 01:11:44 PM
Mine too Sarge.  I am hardly ever in the mood for baked potatoes or broccoli, usually opting for mashed if I make them at all...

I must have potatoes. I've never met a potato I didn't like  8)

I always say if I had to choose one preperation to live with for the rest of my life it would be roast chicken

Me too. Chicken is the one thing I never tire of...which is odd because my first job was working in the kitchen of one of Barberton's famous Serbian-style chicken restaurants. After a year and a half slaving away in that horrible, greasy environment, you'd think I'd have had enough chicken to last the rest of my life ;D  But no, I still love it...although I do prefer roasted to fried nowadays.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: SonicMan on March 20, 2008, 06:50:28 PM
Off on a long weekend trip to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

Myrtle Beach is my family's favorite vacation spot. Dad and Mom discovered it in the 70s and all their kids (excepting me) are regular visitors. Someday Mrs. Rock and I are going to travel up the east coast (starting in Savannah, which we have been to, and loved).

Quote from: SonicMan on March 20, 2008, 06:50:28 PM
For me, a couple of glasses of the new vintage Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc - have a few bottles of this in my cellar (2007 - a recommendation if you're into this grape!) -  :D

Thanks for the tip, Dave.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

BorisG

Somebody ate my rib-eye and baked potato.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 21, 2008, 01:36:44 PM
Myrtle Beach is my family's favorite vacation spot. Dad and Mom discovered it in the 70s and all their kids (excepting me) are regular visitors. Someday Mrs. Rock and I are going to travel up the east coast (starting in Savannah, which we have been to, and loved).

Hello Sarge - know that I'd love that fish you pictured!

Please let me know if you plan to visit the Carolina-Georgia coast in the near future - can certainly give you some suggestions, depending on your interests!  :D

BTW - second day in Myrtle Beach & a great one for eating - decided to take a trip to Georgetown, a historic colonial city south of Myrtle Beach; on the way down stopped off @ Murrell's Inlet for lunch @ Drunken Jack's Restaurant - great views of the Carolina wetlands - started out (again!) w/ a shared dozen of raw oysters (better than the night before!); I just had some seared tuna w/ a seaweed salad - light but excellent!

Tonight, dined at a surprisingly wonderful place - Collector's Cafe - we shared a seafood salad appetizer w/ delightful flavors; dinner came w/ a nice salad - wife had a 'signature' dish of scallops - I decided to skip seafood (a rarity for me on the shore!) - had the veal medallion dish - boy, tender & grilled; side was a shrimp/macaroni w/ 4 cheeses - (wife ate half of that!  she is macaroni/cheese freak!) - shared a great Tiramisu desset w/ some 'special' coffees! 

GREAT DAY for food & some American colonial history - Dave  ;D

Lady Chatterley

Quote from: toledobass on March 21, 2008, 01:15:21 PM
I find fish and rice to be 2 of the hardest things to master so right on!!!

Allan

I agree,fish is a challenge! I cook it in portions ,I can never get it right roasting a whole sockeye .It always seems over cooked out side and too rare in the center.Nice 150 or 200gm pt are much easier to pan fry.I never take my eyes off them it's that quick.
Regarding rice,I think every variety needs a different amount of water,trial and error! I use a rice cooker and my favorite rice is brown Jasmine scented rice,but I try new ones all the time there's a fabulous red rice mixed with a Chinese short grain black rice that has a delicious nutty flavour.

SonicMan46

Last night in Myrtle Beach - still been eating well here - much improved from my last visit a while ago!  :D

Tonight we dined @ the Umi Pacific Grille - started out w/ (again!) sharing a dozen oysters (from New England) on the half shelf + yellowtail sashimi - delicious; for my main course - a FIRST - had a barramundi fish dish (roasted w/ chili sauce + baby bok choy, one of my favorite veggies); I believe that this is a freshwater fish from northern Australia (a featured discussion in the film Crocodile Dundee, as I remember) - maybe our Aussie members can add some comments?  BTW, that's not me in the pic - just showing 'what' the fish looks like!

A couple of glasses of New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc - wonderful dinner & new experience!  :)

Lady Chatterley

Brian

I just ate a black bean burger for the first time, by mistake. It was great, but more than a little spicy!

orbital

c#minor

ahhh coffee, i need some coffee a long night of theory studies awaits me, so i have decided to come here to procrastinate. But tonight i had some good "country cookin." Easter/Christmas/Thanksgiving = casserole.... lovely casserole!

toledobass

Some friends and I are headed here in a few minutes.  Wine and this kinda food are perfect for my lazy Monday evening.

Allan

SonicMan46

Quote from: Muriel on March 23, 2008, 04:13:27 PM
Nice fish Dave!

Hi Muriel:D

That meal started out great!  My main course was pretty good, but could have been better - the fish was a little 'overdone'; of course, I presumed shipped frozen from Australia - however, the taste & texture were excellent, reminded me of some of the Great Lakes fish I ate decades ago (when I lived in Ohio/Michigan) - would love to have it again (don't think I'll make it to Australia, but maybe a West Coast trip will be a possibility, or of course one of the larger USA cities?).   :)

Saul

Avocado Salad with a dash of Olive oil . Plain Lebene , with an Apple. Yogurt with sweet mandarins and pineapples.

SonicMan46

Great experience for golf lovers!  :D

Returning home (Winston-Salem, NC) from our short Myrtle Beach, South Carolina vacation - decided to make a 'on the way' stop in Pinehurst, NC for lunch - Pinehurst, Southern Pines, and environs have hundreds of golf courses in the area, many of historic interest, including the famed No. 2 (US Open that Payne Stewart won most recently!).

Stopped @ the Pinehurst Hotel, c. 1895 w/ great golf memorabilia (signed photos, old golf clubs, etc.) - venerable dining room - lunch was quite good, well prepared, & delicious - a 'change of pace' from our coastal experience (and done intentionally) - LOML decided to have a BURGER!  Wonderful bun (thin) - she added onions & bleu cheese (which came thick & in chunks!), along w/ some great french fries (thin, crispy - really like French frittes!) - for some reason, she did not talk to me during lunch!  ;) ;D

I decided on a wrap of seasoned chicken/pastrami w/ veggies & a light sauce - quite good; came w/ onion rings (we don't eat this kind of stuff anymore, but we shared the fries & onion rings w/ DELIGHT!  Wish this stuff was really good for us @ our ages!).  Decided to split a wonderful berry tart dessert - wonderful!).  :P

Bogey

Very colorful hard boiled eggs from yesterday's hunt!  ;)
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Lilas Pastia

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 21, 2008, 12:56:44 PM

I opened a special bottle of wine: a 1996 Alsation Riesling, Grand Cru Schoenenbourg from Domaine Mittnacht-Klack in Riquewihr:

Sarge

Back in 2004 we spent a few days and nights in the Colmar region, and I recall visiting Riquewihr as well as all the other "wihrs" of the areas: Niedermorschwir (where we stayed, right across a very narrow street from a wine merchant ;D), Obermorschwir, Orschwihr, Mittlewihr, Ammerschwir, Gueberschwihr, etc.  Riquewihr is the alsatian Epernay, the town where most wine merchants have a 'maison'.
This is Riquewihr:

uffeviking

Looking at those beautiful pictures, André, makes me hungry for a wooden plate of cheese and Schwarzbrot and a glass - or two! - of the Hauswein in any Wirtshaus along those streets!  :D

Lilas Pastia

Lis, if my wife hadn't inadvertently sat on the lens of our Nikon in Meersburg am Bodensee, Id have tons of pictures to show  :P. Unfortunately I have to rely on web sites to convey the absolute enchantment of the alsatian countryside. But we did have käse u. schwarzbrot for breakfast at our B&B - plus the traditional croissants, butter and jams  :D. And I had the most divine jambonneau confit (wädele) you could dream of in one of those 16th century houses that  are still widely preserved in the small villages (I believe it was Türckheim or Eguisheim).  :D.