What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on March 31, 2008, 04:46:48 PM
In New Brunswick where my daughter lives, deer and esp. elk encounters of the too close kind are the most common cause of road fatality. An elk is like a cow on giraffe legs so when you hit it, the body is level with the windshield. At high speed, the car is positively decapitated.

And this is an old one: .

André - that old bull moose is amazingly LARGE!  :o  - think that I'd rather hit a brick wall, instead!  BTW - is that you w/ the gun?  ;D

On my trip to Quebec last fall, the plane was delayed into the Quebec airport - I had a car rental to drive to our first stop in La Malbaie, night was dark, trip was 2+ hrs, and I kept seeing those signs shown below!  Knowing the size of a bull moose, I was VERY careful, esp. around curves -  ;) ;D

Anne

Andre, gorgeous pictures!  I, too, would like to know if that is you in the photo.

Re: hubby's altercation with the deer - the deer was so close to the local mall that no one would ever think of it that close to civilization.

That same place on the road - a different time I wondered why traffic was going so slowly.  As I approached so I could finally see - there was mama skunk with her tail straight up in the air followed by 4 or 5 baby skunks with their tails straight up in the air, all of them in a straight line crossing the highway.  For sure they all were given all the time they wanted and traffic backed up in both directions.   ;D

MN Dave

A lettuce, tomato, cheddar, roast beef, horseradish sandwich.

Anne

Quote from: SonicMan on March 31, 2008, 05:52:10 PM
André - that old bull moose is amazingly LARGE!  :o  - think that I'd rather hit a brick wall, instead!  BTW - is that you w/ the gun?  ;D

On my trip to Quebec last fall, the plane was delayed into the Quebec airport - I had a car rental to drive to our first stop in La Malbaie, night was dark, trip was 2+ hrs, and I kept seeing those signs shown below!  Knowing the size of a bull moose, I was VERY careful, esp. around curves -  ;) ;D

How does one drag that monster out of there and into civilization?  Use a truck?  a car?

SonicMan46

Quote from: Anne on April 01, 2008, 08:59:37 AM
How does one drag that monster out of there and into civilization?  Use a truck?  a car?

Anne - LOL!  ;D  Probably in 'small pieces'!  ;)  Out of curiosity, I was looking up some stats on a full grown 'bull moose' - height @ the shoulder 5-7 ft.; weight 800-1500 lbs!  Can you imagine a 7' 1500 pounder standing next to your car!  YIKES -  :o  And then hitting that beast on a highway goin' 60 mph -  ::)   Those Quebec signs that dark overcast night on my way to La Malbaie were a little scary, even for a North Carolinian who has had plenty of deer cross the roads & 3-4 black bears!  ;D

Lilas Pastia

Honestly, I've never seen such a monstrous beast - and, no, it's not me on the picture  ;D

I did see quite a few large beasts when working in the Great North: black bears (in the local dumps) and grey trouts (they can exceed 75 pounds and 3 feet in length - and I've seen those). Like most Canadians I've seen a moose more often on a road sign than live (twice). That one is a real knockout :o.

Anne

One time our family went to the northern tip of Lake Huron (the black flies were horrendous!).  Women and children stayed at the beach while the guys scouted about in our car.  They had decided to go back to the beach.

Suddenly out of the right side of the car appeared this big black bear running so fast!  He ran full tilt right into the right front fender of out car, denting it mightily.  Hubby said he sat on the ground and turned his head from side to side as if trying to comprehend what had just happened to him.

Morigan

I've encountered a live moose only once, at night, in the dreaded Parc des Laurentides. It's a somewhat common sight in this area, but seeing the real thing is a real shock. I was just driving to Québec City after visiting my native region of Saguenay—Lac-Saint-Jean and it was the middle of the night. Suddenly, in the dead middle of the road, I see two large balls of green light floating in the air. I managed to stop the car just a few meters in front of that monster. Its eyes were glowing because they reflected the car's headlights. Anyway, after staring at it for a few seconds, I drove around it and resumed my trip.

A direct collision with a moose is quite deadly. It's almost like ramming your car into a big boulder. Those signs are up for a reason! :)

toledobass

Last night, I had a sloppy joe using some leftover bolognese sauce I made.  Fun.

Allan

matti

Quote from: uffeviking on March 31, 2008, 06:39:28 AM
Hello Matti!  :-*

Good to have you back, even if we disagree a bit. Shouldn't go fishing either, should you? But then what would you feed your visitors from foreign countries?  ???

Lis

Hello Lis! I do fish, as a visitor from a foreign country knows. He has even eaten smoked perch with good (or incredibly well pretended) appetite. However, I don't get your point - fishing versus moose hunting...  ??? I, for one, am pro both activities. Far too many moose around in this country, I am not kidding.

Furthermore, on ethics: most of us eat chicken and eggs. Most of the chicken live there lives on a tiny spot, about the size of your printer paper. There are organic eggs, but they are a tiny minority.

A moose lives its life in freedom. The (too occasional) bullet hits a happy animal.

:-* Matti

SonicMan46

Well, I guess the 'moose' stories have ended -  ;) ;D  Actually, I've not had 'real' moose, just the chocolate kind!  :)

Returned from our local Italian bistro - not a fancy place but quite good; for me tonight (a frequent repeat):

Veal piccata (thin, tender, and hammered!) w/ an excellent well reduced lemon-caper sauce - no breading, no cheese - just the way I like it!  Side dish of broccholi sauteed w/ olive oil & garlic shavings; all preceded by a fine romaine lettuce salad w/ a delicious home-made 'house' dressing.  Of course, a couple of glasses of wine - an inexpensive Italian pinot grigio, not great but cheap & refreshing - I really love this meal!  :P

matti

Quote from: SonicMan on April 04, 2008, 02:28:29 PM
Well, I guess the 'moose' stories have ended -  ;) ;D  Actually, I've not had 'real' moose, just the chocolate kind!  :)

Yeah, I suppose the moralist in me spoiled all the fun.  ;D

Just out of curiosity, how do you (US citizens in particular) feel about eating reindeer meat? I've heard Finnair has a policy not to serve reindeer meat on flights to the US, because Americans detest the idea of eating Rudolf. Not-eating-Rudoph may be an urban legend, but these are culture related things... I have eaten horse meat, but not without a small amount of disgust, ALTHOUGH it tasted delicious. A dog or a cat is food in some parts of the world, but I could not think of eating either. If I had been brought up in an other culture, I would think otherwise.

SonicMan46

Quote from: matti on April 04, 2008, 02:45:13 PM
Just out of curiosity, how do you (US citizens in particular) feel about eating reindeer meat? ... I have eaten horse meat, but not without a small amount of disgust, ALTHOUGH it tasted delicious. A dog or a cat is food in some parts of the world, but I could not think of eating either. If I had been brought up in an other culture.....

Hello, Matti - I'm unlikely the American who should be asked about dietary preferences - wife & I have tried about everything (e.g., love sushi, but not fond of uni, i.e. sea urchin) - I would certainly give reindeer a try, along w/ kangaroo; moose, bear, caribou would be fine w/ me, also; have had ostrich & emu w/ pleasure.

I've not tried Dog & Cat, but these are certainly a big part of far eastern cultures - would I?  Well, I've eaten squirrels & rabbits, so not sure that there would be much of a difference, esp. if not told?  Also, love 'swamp critters' of all kinds - alligator, turtle, crabs, etc. -  :P

Now, what would I not eat?  Hmmm - live BUGs & crawling live animals are definitely OUT for me!  ;D  Also, chilled 'monkey brains' like in the Indiana Jones movie would be maybe?  I love sweatbreads (typically calf thymus), and brains are likely the same texture & taste; I've not had tripe?

But in the end, I'm definitely an 'omnivorous' animal, and will try most things that will fit easily into my mouth!  :D

matti

Quote from: SonicMan on April 04, 2008, 03:16:45 PM

not sure that there would be much of a difference, esp. if not told? 

Yep, that's how it goes. I've eaten lamb in India, or so I have been told, but the meal was so hot it could have been any meat... I certainly saw more dogs than lambs there. To be exact: no lambs, not even in the countryside, but thousands of stray dogs. If I was a struggling restaurant owner in India, I'd surely be tempted... in spite of the cuddly appearance and sad eyes of the canines.

George

Quote from: MN Dave on March 26, 2008, 09:07:10 AM
Your basic Greek salad.

Had that for lunch today, with a baked potato with melted mozzarela.

Lilas Pastia

IN: brains, sweetbreads, liver and kidneys. Rabbit and horse are fine too! Any birdie is fair game.
OUT: anything alive, with more than 4 legs, or no legs at all, as well as any kind of rodents. Dogs and cats are taboo too.

Tried once but not to my taste: hearts and tripes. Too chewy and without much taste.