What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogey

Quote from: SonicMan on June 13, 2007, 05:05:47 PM

Bill - love Chinese takeout; have a place up the road that delivers, so a couple times a month, we love to go that route - of course, if an alcoholic beverage is desired, beer is great, but for those interested in wine - give a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc a try - really a nice combo!  :)

Dave,
Even like it better the next day cold and out of the carton....about 3 a.m. when the dogs get me up.   

Allan,
No General.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

sidoze

Quote from: George on June 12, 2007, 05:05:56 PM
Subway- Footlong Veggie Delight on Honey Oat bread with extra swiss cheese, lettuce, pickles, hot peppers, cukes and tomato. Topped with Chipolte sauce and with Lays chips on the side with a Reeds ginger ale and some maple oat pecan cookies for dessert.

Well that's 10 seconds of my life I'll never get back.

I'm making chicken salad for lunch.

uffeviking

Fresh, wild Copper River salmon, caught two days ago - and I dang near ruined it with a bit of overbaking! - in Tassos Greek olive oil with lots of fresh chopped parsley, tomatoes and watercress sprinkled with toasted walnut oil and slices of freshly baked Jewish raisin bread. A very earthy Australian Merlot the perfect companion to the light meal.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: uffeviking on June 15, 2007, 12:37:10 PM
Fresh, wild Copper River salmon, caught two days ago - and I dang near ruined it with a bit of overbaking!

Mrs. Rock would have never forgiven you. She likes her salmon still flopping and gasping on the plate.

Looks delicious.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

SonicMan46

Quote from: uffeviking on June 15, 2007, 12:37:10 PM
Fresh, wild Copper River salmon............

Agree w/ Sarge - I've had Copper River salmon on several occasions - outstanding!  And, I also like a red wine w/ that fish - preference usually an Oregon Pinot Noir - delicious looking meal!  :)  Dave

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: SonicMan on June 15, 2007, 01:15:09 PM
Agree w/ Sarge - I've had Copper River salmon on several occasions - outstanding!

Yes, wild salmon is so much better. The last time I was home my best friend splurged on a beautiful piece (of salmon  ;D ) and his wife nearly killed him when she found out how much it had cost. But when she took her first bite, she had to admit it was worth it. We drank red too. My contribution to the dinner was a Pinot Noir from California but I can't recall the winery now.

Sarge

George

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 15, 2007, 01:39:44 PM
Yes, wild salmon is so much better. The last time I was home my best friend splurged on a beautiful piece (of salmon  ;D )
Sarge

;D :D ;D

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: George on June 15, 2007, 01:42:45 PM
;D :D ;D

After I typed the line, "my best friend splurged on a beautiful piece and his wife nearly killed him" I thought it prudent to go back and put in that parenthetical clarification.  ;D

Sarge

uffeviking

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 15, 2007, 01:47:01 PM
After I typed the line, "my best friend splurged on a beautiful piece and his wife nearly killed him" I thought it prudent to go back and put in that parenthetical clarification.  ;D

Sarge

But you took the 'smirk' out of your first posting!  ;)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: uffeviking on June 15, 2007, 01:52:26 PM
But you took the 'smirk' out of your first posting!  ;)

I didn't mean to smirk...I'm a good boy, really.

Sarge

uffeviking

Tomorrow I'll have the other half of today's salmon purchase but I'll poach it, no overkilling then. It's just a short hop for the special Alaska Airline 'Salmon Plane' to get to E.W. and it's fairly cheap: $14.98 per pound which makes two ample meals for me.

The Australian Merlot was an exception; my usual wine is the Washington Kiona Lemberger but the only ones left in my wine rack are 2004, a bit too young for my taste. I have to check the Lemberger from Washington's Covey Run winery on my next shopping trip.

toledobass

Last night was the Mrs. and my anniversary.  We went to Light Bistro and had a great time.  Although on the website they call thierselves a tapas restaurant it doesn't really describe what they do.  Essentially the menu is designed so you can pick out your own customized tasting menu.  There are also larger sized entrees that the table can share and any of the small dishes can be ordered a la carte if you prefer to go the appetizer/entree route. 

We had some cocktails and shared some bacon wrapped dates and an asparagus 'martini'.  The Mrs. had a 3 course tasting menu of the light chopped salad,  then the butternut ravioli, then the chicken roulade.  I had a 5 course tasting.  Started with english pea soup,  seared scallops with 'chowder sauce',  the Kobe beef,  the pork belly (pork belly f'in rocks) then foie gras.  I should have had something else instead of the foie.  I was too full by that time to really appreciate it and 2 fat loaded dishes in a row were a bit much.  We got comped desert.  A nice rhubarb pie with a carmelized banana and banana ice cream.  We shared a bottle of a nice malbec made by Urano. 

Everything was exquisite.  I have a great respect for the kitchen after that meal especially because they impressed me on 2 points that I think places continually get lazy about.  First the salad that my wife had was top notch.  Everything ingredient was incredibly fresh and the proportions were perfect. The salad was dressed perfectly.  It seems to me they they give the same level of detail and thought to something as simple as salad as the rest of the 'higher profile' dishes.  Her chicken was cooked to perfection.  I almost think it was cooked sous-vide because of the amazing tenderness and juiciness with hardly andy carmelization from a pan sear on the surface of the chicken. 

Just 2 pics.  First is of her chicken roulade and the second is the Kobe dish that you get to cook on the hot rock on the right (I'm always a big fan of 'interactive' dishes like this....add kobe and well...what's not to like?)

Well worth it if you ever make a trip to Cleveland,

Allan

SonicMan46

Quote from: toledobass on June 15, 2007, 03:40:04 PM
Last night was the Mrs. and my anniversary.  We went to Light Bistro and had a great time.  Although on the website they call thierselves a tapas restaurant it doesn't really describe what they do....... 

Allan - looks like a great place - believe the wife & I would have a good time there, too!  :D

We enjoy a tapas restaurant (although as you say the 'Light Bistro' is different) on occasion - had a great meal in one in Richmond, VA a few months ago on a brief vacation - can't remember if I commented in this thread pages ago?  ::) :)

Tonight, had an early dinner at Noble's Grille, an up-scale restaurant here w/ 'southern influences' - bread was excellent (one of our 'first' criteria of a good eatery) - started w/ a nice hydroponically grown bib lettuce salid - I had the NC black grouper (just brought up from the coast), grilled to perfection (juicy & flaky) on top a pinto bean hash w/ corn & collards (yes, sounds southern!  But was quite tasty & plenty of fiber for me today!); we were both 'too filled' to share a dessert (our usual choice) - beverage was a couple of glasses of Elk Cove Pinot Gris (Oregon)  ;D

uffeviking

Such nice restaurants to read about! Thank you for sharing.

I am constantly amazed at the growing popularity of Northwest wines. Last I heard Washington State now is second only to California, Idaho is getting started and doing quite well and if Oregon keeps on growing, those three states will pass California in no time. Right in my neighbourhood vineyards have replaced as lot of apple orchards and it is the big local community of retired people taking up wine making as a profitable hobby.

mahlertitan

SonicMan46

Quote from: uffeviking on June 15, 2007, 05:11:12 PM
I am constantly amazed at the growing popularity of Northwest wines. Last I heard Washington State now is second only to California.......

Lis - yes, Washington State is really an upcoming wine region - wish I could find more locally here on the East Coast; but fortunately I do order Oregon Pinot Noir (and some whites) from the Oregon Pinot Noir Club (which I've mentioned before in a number of threads) - must look for a similar club for WA State wines?  :-\ :D

But, the grape growing & winery phenomenon in the USA is widespread - Virginia & North Carolina now have about 200 wineries, and their products are improving yearly (posted a few comments in my wine thread w/ a pic of Shelton Vineyards); here, it is the tobacco fields declining and being replaced by grape growing -  :)  Dave

mahlertitan

Quote from: SonicMan on June 15, 2007, 05:35:18 PM
Lis - yes, Washington State is really an upcoming wine region - wish I could find more locally here on the East Coast; but fortunately I do order Oregon Pinot Noir (and some whites) from the Oregon Pinot Noir Club (which I've mentioned before in a number of threads) - must look for a similar club for WA State wines?  :-\ :D

But, the grape growing & winery phenomenon in the USA is widespread - Virginia & North Carolina now have about 200 wineries, and their products are improving yearly (posted a few comments in my wine thread w/ a pic of Shelton Vineyards); here, it is the tobacco fields declining and being replaced by grape growing -  :)  Dave

yep, lots of vineyards up here, too bad i still have to wait a couple years to taste the fine wine.

uffeviking

That touches a sore point with me and whenever it's mentioned during a social get-together I am up on my soap box deploring those silly regulations about drinking age here in this country. When I was a kid I got a sip from Papa's beer and as I got older, had a very small glass of wine with the Sunday meal. Children were raised to learn how to appreciate good wines and beers and how to handle consuming alcohol. Everything in moderation and kids grew up to drink socially.

Of course I have read this too has changed now, binge drinking and such stupidities are common.  :(

George

Onion Omelet

Baked Potato

Mmmmm.  8)

Mozart

Dont you think the animal suffered when the egg came out of its butt?