What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irons

Big discussion on my local radio station yesterday on the best method of cooking "toad in the hole". The difficulty most experienced is the batter perfectly risen at the edges but gooey at the centre. My wife discovered recently that the remedy is simple - instead of using a Pyrex dish, glass is a poor conductor of heat, that cooking the mixture along with sausages in a thin tin tray results in a perfect  "toad in the hole".
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on April 15, 2020, 12:17:36 AM
Big discussion on my local radio station yesterday on the best method of cooking "toad in the hole". The difficulty most experienced is the batter perfectly risen at the edges but gooey at the centre. My wife discovered recently that the remedy is simple - instead of using a Pyrex dish, glass is a poor conductor of heat, that cooking the mixture along with sausages in a thin tin tray results in a perfect  "toad in the hole".
I've never had Toad in the hole before Irons.  I was thinking that it was basically a fried egg which is cooked in the middle of a piece of bread which has had a hole cut out of the middle, but this sounds like something else? 

Today, I hope to make a beef and pork ragu sauce and also a beet soup (out of some leftover roasted beets); will see how ambitious I am!

Best,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 15, 2020, 02:22:37 AM
I've never had Toad in the hole before Irons.  I was thinking that it was basically a fried egg which is cooked in the middle of a piece of bread which has had a hole cut out of the middle, but this sounds like something else? 

Today, I hope to make a beef and pork ragu sauce and also a beet soup (out of some leftover roasted beets); will see how ambitious I am!

Best,

PD

No, P. Toad in the hole is sausages embedded in Yorkshire pudding. We tried a recipe last week using chipolatas and leeks which is delicious.

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on April 15, 2020, 07:08:53 AM
No, P. Toad in the hole is sausages embedded in Yorkshire pudding. We tried a recipe last week using chipolatas and leeks which is delicious.

Looks yummy!  What is the sauce on the side?  And where can I find the recipe?   :)

Bolognese sauce is now simmering away on the stove.  Hope that it comes out decently.  I used a recipe from Bon Appetit as a guideline but made a really big batch as I was also trying to use up some odd bits from my freezer.  Will taste it in a couple of hours and see if it needs tweaking.

Best,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

North Star

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 15, 2020, 07:16:20 AM
Looks yummy!  What is the sauce on the side?  And where can I find the recipe?   :)

Bolognese sauce is now simmering away on the stove.  Hope that it comes out decently.  I used a recipe from Bon Appetit as a guideline but made a really big batch as I was also trying to use up some odd bits from my freezer.  Will taste it in a couple of hours and see if it needs tweaking.

Best,

PD
I hope it turned out alright.  :)

Green whitefish coconut curry for me from Saturday. First time I used (green) curry paste or coconut milk, so naturally I didn't really follow a single recipe too strictly. ;) Fish sauce, carrots, onion, garlic, parsley, black pepper and about a quarter (or maybe 250 grams) of a smoked whitefish went in there.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Papy Oli

Quote from: North Star on April 15, 2020, 12:01:13 PM

Green whitefish coconut curry for me from Saturday. First time I used (green) curry paste or coconut milk, so naturally I didn't really follow a single recipe too strictly. ;) Fish sauce, carrots, onion, garlic, parsley, black pepper and about a quarter (or maybe 250 grams) of a smoked whitefish went in there.

Nice one Karlo. Try adding some chillies and some coriander instead of the parsley. Coriander is an acquired taste though.
Olivier

North Star

Quote from: Papy Oli on April 15, 2020, 12:05:49 PM
Nice one Karlo. Try adding some chillies and some coriander instead of the parsley. Coriander is an acquired taste though.
Cheers, Oli. Yeah parsley substitution was just because I didn't have coriander at hand. I'll need to get some fresh (or dried) chilies for next time as well, though I got plenty of heat from using a fair amount of the curry paste. I forgot the copious amounts of lime juice from the above list of ingredients, essential part for balancing the flavours.

My photographs on Flickr

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: North Star on April 15, 2020, 12:01:13 PM
I hope it turned out alright.  :)

Will find out tomorrow; something else that I must eat/cook tonight plus need to cook the sauce down a bit more.  I love curries, hope that you were pleased with yours.  :)
Pohjolas Daughter

North Star

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 15, 2020, 02:50:34 PM
Will find out tomorrow; something else that I must eat/cook tonight plus need to cook the sauce down a bit more.  I love curries, hope that you were pleased with yours.  :)
Yes indeed, the flavour was very rich and balanced between salty, spicy, and sweet, brightened up by the lime.

My photographs on Flickr

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: North Star on April 16, 2020, 12:50:52 AM
Yes indeed, the flavour was very rich and balanced between salty, spicy, and sweet, brightened up by the lime.
Excellent!  By the way, you can also freeze chilis; I have some small, hot red ones in my freezer that I purchased at a local Asian market.

Finished off cooking the bolognese sauce for a while longer today, let it cool and then portioned it out into various containers:  several of them to freeze, some to give to a friend and the rest in the fridge for dinner off and on during the next seven days. 

Afterwards, I made some *beet soup and am almost done with the cleanup.  Think that I am cooked out for a while!  At least in terms of multi-hour recipes.

*a Deborah Madison recipe....love her recipes!   :)

Best wishes,

PD

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Has anyone here tried any of Jamie Oliver's vegetarian recipes?  I saw this one recently on t.v. (slightly different than the printed version) which looked really good.  The hardest part for me would be getting the fresh curry leaves.  I know one shop that carries them but is a ways away.

https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/aubergine-recipes/stuffed-curried-aubergines/
Pohjolas Daughter

Carlo Gesualdo

Steam Fries a la  Deprofundis's
Por favor tomorrow, I'm cooking for my Father, I promess I,m the utter best steam fries
Here is my secret recipe, for you folks on GmG, this will be super, strap on you seat belt, because  This is very refined recipes really.

You need here are the ingredients

-Deprofundis steam Fries whit alfredo sauce marinated in white wine , and extra virgin oil, one egg plant slice thin, one zuchinni slice thin, one onion slice fairly thin, ya need panure and extra virgin olive oil, onion salt, sariette , (optional would be (fresh garlic and  baby spinach, mushrooms)* not obligatory.

But since I live in Canada Quebec  grocery store are close on Sunday.

This is gonna be state of the art prepare , you don't know how sick of a perfectionist I am when cooking. Spices yes, too much no, salt yes, too much nope. What do you think so far does it look tasty?

:P

SurprisedByBeauty

Making pizzas, flammkuchen...

a bit of pasta..

fake fajitas with heart of pork...

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: deprofundis on May 02, 2020, 04:57:22 PM
Steam Fries a la  Deprofundis's
Por favor tomorrow, I'm cooking for my Father, I promess I,m the utter best steam fries
Here is my secret recipe, for you folks on GmG, this will be super, strap on you seat belt, because  This is very refined recipes really.

You need here are the ingredients

-Deprofundis steam Fries whit alfredo sauce marinated in white wine , and extra virgin oil, one egg plant slice thin, one zuchinni slice thin, one onion slice fairly thin, ya need panure and extra virgin olive oil, onion salt, sariette , (optional would be (fresh garlic and  baby spinach, mushrooms)* not obligatory.

But since I live in Canada Quebec  grocery store are close on Sunday.

This is gonna be state of the art prepare , you don't know how sick of a perfectionist I am when cooking. Spices yes, too much no, salt yes, too much nope. What do you think so far does it look tasty?

:P
Hi Deprofundis.

I'm afraid that I'm not quite following you? 1) I have never heard of 'steamed fries' before now.  Fried or air-fried, yes.  And what is panure?  I see that sariette is summer savory (I know what that herb is).  And are potatoes involved or non?  Perhaps a picture sometime?   :)  It sounds like you do love to cook!

Best,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on May 04, 2020, 01:10:22 PM
Making pizzas, flammkuchen...

a bit of pasta..

fake fajitas with heart of pork...

Your pizza and flammkuchen look lovely!  I did have to google flammkuchen.  Looks like the 'fake fajitas' are crêpes?  :) Not certain what heart of pork would be in the US, but it looks yummy!  What else did you put into the pork dish?

Best wishes,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

greg

Not eating this stuff now, but missing these since I haven't been able yet to make these dishes quite as good as the restaurant that I used to regularly eat at where I used to live.

Chicken Biryani:

My possible favorite food of all time, if I had to choose was from that restaurant- the kadhai curry (with garlic naan):

I mean, it's sort of a tie between that and traditional hot wings for top spot, but yeah, will have to experiment with more recipes over time since in general I prefer not to have to rely on going out to restaurants to have good food.
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: greg on May 08, 2020, 08:18:40 PM
Not eating this stuff now, but missing these since I haven't been able yet to make these dishes quite as good as the restaurant that I used to regularly eat at where I used to live.

Chicken Biryani:

My possible favorite food of all time, if I had to choose was from that restaurant- the kadhai curry (with garlic naan):

I mean, it's sort of a tie between that and traditional hot wings for top spot, but yeah, will have to experiment with more recipes over time since in general I prefer not to have to rely on going out to restaurants to have good food.
I haven't heard of Kadhai curry before but it looks scrumptious!  I need to play around with Indian cooking more...not very good at curries, but I do enjoy them!  One thing that I've noticed and am wondering whether or not other posters here have too, but it seems like you're getting less meat (or whatever the protein is in the particular dish) in the end product.   :(

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

greg

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 14, 2020, 11:22:09 AM
I haven't heard of Kadhai curry before but it looks scrumptious!  I need to play around with Indian cooking more...not very good at curries, but I do enjoy them!  One thing that I've noticed and am wondering whether or not other posters here have too, but it seems like you're getting less meat (or whatever the protein is in the particular dish) in the end product.   :(

PD
If you live near an urban there should be one or two Indian restaurants with the best reputation, that do meals and not just buffet, they most likely will serve it.
The amount of meat I've gotten at two different places was fine enough, as someone whose favorite food group is probably meat. Usually that dish should have chicken or goat, like any other curry.
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: greg on May 14, 2020, 11:55:34 AM
If you live near an urban there should be one or two Indian restaurants with the best reputation, that do meals and not just buffet, they most likely will serve it.
The amount of meat I've gotten at two different places was fine enough, as someone whose favorite food group is probably meat. Usually that dish should have chicken or goat, like any other curry.
Don't believe that I've ever had Indian food at a buffet before now?  I was referring to at a real Indian restaurant; it seemed to me that at least in my area, that they're cutting back a bit on the protein....whether the protein is shrimp, lobster, or chicken alas.  Glad that they aren't being so skimpy in your area.   ;)  I recall liking dishes like Saag Paneer but haven't had it in ages!

Keep up with the cooking lessons/experiments!   :)

Best,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Carlo Gesualdo

Styr-fried ala deprofundis

What you need is

one zuchinni

half an eggplant

half of one white onion

One fresh garlic goose

alfredo sauce

White wine

Garlic butter slice olive mushrooms white one quite a bit

floor-Panure, one egg  and voila after 25 cooking at 5 it ready, not yet .. haha you put cheese on it fresh Parmesan and voila.

Grill it an it's awesome