What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Glad that you're feeling better DP!  And good job losing weight, eating better and getting exercise! :)

Decided to try my first cucumber today from my garden...pretty good though tasted a bit bitter.  In any event, I decided to make a salad by quartering and chopping up the cuke (scraped out seeds), deseeded and chopped up a couple of tomatoes, and sliced and  cubed up some feta cheese.  Added some chopped up oregano and basil from the garden.  Added in the remains of some white cooked rice (cooked with a bit of chopped spinach, scallions and lime.  Salt & pepper, some good squeezes of lemon juice, red wine vinegar and a decent olive oil.  Also added in some cut up red onion (soaked for a few minutes in ice water and drained). Tossed all together.

Even though I think that I'd prefer it with something like orzo vs. rice, it turned out pretty decent and I'll have some leftovers for a few meals.   :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

SurprisedByBeauty

Crêpe à la confiture de cerises. A.k.a. Euro-Pancakes.

Carlo Gesualdo

British small cucumbers, marinated, well I did not had Basilic and Aneth, but own ingredient, fairly good.Here my recipe.

Four but fairly big British cucumbers
Salt, lot's of it but not too much
Lemon juice just enough
extra virgin olive oil 2/5 of the pot
Balsamic sauce just a tiny winy shot
Distilled water 2/5 of mix
Garlic salt just a bit

And that it better be good I let it marinated  long and shake it gentle on the side up and down  up and down

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on June 30, 2020, 12:30:23 AM
Crêpe à la confiture de cerises. A.k.a. Euro-Pancakes.

Your crêpe looks tasty!  I haven't made them in a while.  I love a recipe of Deborah Madison's which I've made several times.  You make spinach crepes (the spinach is in the batter) and stack them up three high.  And you spread a mixture of (doing this from memory) ricotta, parmesan and some herbs in between the layers and top with mixed sautéed mushrooms.  Not a quick-to-make recipe but really wonderful!  The crêpes also freeze well (separate between sheets of waxed paper).

Best,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: deprofundis on July 01, 2020, 03:32:06 PM
British small cucumbers, marinated, well I did not had Basilic and Aneth, but own ingredient, fairly good.Here my recipe.

Four but fairly big British cucumbers
Salt, lot's of it but not too much
Lemon juice just enough
extra virgin olive oil 2/5 of the pot
Balsamic sauce just a tiny winy shot
Distilled water 2/5 of mix
Garlic salt just a bit

And that it better be good I let it marinated  long and shake it gentle on the side up and down  up and down
Sounds tasty!
Pohjolas Daughter

Papy Oli

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 02, 2020, 05:55:41 AM
Your crêpe looks tasty!  I haven't made them in a while.  I love a recipe of Deborah Madison's which I've made several times.  You make spinach crepes (the spinach is in the batter) and stack them up three high.  And you spread a mixture of (doing this from memory) ricotta, parmesan and some herbs in between the layers and top with mixed sautéed mushrooms.  Not a quick-to-make recipe but really wonderful!  The crêpes also freeze well (separate between sheets of waxed paper).

Best,

PD

oooooooo that too  :o ;D
Olivier

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 02, 2020, 05:55:41 AM

Best,

PD

Very nice! I think I'll riff of that, before long.

The 'secret' for pancakes coming out well for me lies in making lots of batter (eggs, not too few, flour, beer, milk (maybe a sip of buttermilk for kicks) and water and a dash of turmeric for color), then filling it into an empty plastic bottle (1 1/2 l in my case) and then letting it rest. Keeps well (upward of a week); easy to store - and easier still to dosage into the pan.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on July 02, 2020, 10:41:41 AM
Very nice! I think I'll riff of that, before long.

The 'secret' for pancakes coming out well for me lies in making lots of batter (eggs, not too few, flour, beer, milk (maybe a sip of buttermilk for kicks) and water and a dash of turmeric for color), then filling it into an empty plastic bottle (1 1/2 l in my case) and then letting it rest. Keeps well (upward of a week); easy to store - and easier still to dosage into the pan.
Interesting!  I haven't heard of beer in crepes before?  And do you add much water?  I know that pancake batter can keep for several days in the fridge; haven't tried it for a week though.  Clever idea to put it into a soda/water bottle.  Less mess!  Have you tried freezing your crêpes before?  I could see how that could be very handy should one be having a dinner party or just to have on hand for an easy dinner.

Here's a link to the cookbook by the way:  https://www.amazon.ca/Vegetarian-Suppers-Deborah-Madisons-Kitchen-ebook/dp/B0086MKQ0I/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=deborah+madison+vegetarian+suppers&qid=1593719717&sr=8-1

The recipe (should you purchase a copy or find one through a library) is called "Spinach Crêpe Cake with herbed ricotta and mushrooms".  A great way to use fresh tarragon and marjoram.  When feeling particularly decadent, I've added both mushroom stock AND cream to the sautéed mushrooms....yum!   ;D

Note:  I don't get any kind of remuneration from promoting her books; I just love her recipes!   :D

Best,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 02, 2020, 12:04:21 PM
Interesting!  I haven't heard of beer in crepes before?  And do you add much water?

Beer adds a little umami, I find... and the alcohol/carbonation helps fluffiness. Same reasoning behind using carbonated water (instead or on top). I try to make the batter as liquid as possible for crepes. I don't use a specific formula... I start with however flour pours out of the bag, then add eggs and then the liquids ... roughly 1/3s water, milk, beer... or perhaps 1/2 milk 1/4 beer & water until I have the consistency I desire. And a dash of oil, come to think of it. Rapeseed or some-such... or olive.

QuoteHave you tried freezing your crêpes before?  I could see how that could be very handy should one be having a dinner party or just to have on hand for an easy dinner.

I've not, but I've taken note. Sounds like a good idea!

The recipe (should you purchase a copy or find one through a library) is called "Spinach Crêpe Cake with herbed ricotta and mushrooms".  A great way to use fresh tarragon and marjoram.  When feeling particularly decadent, I've added both mushroom stock AND cream to the sautéed mushrooms....yum!   ;D

I don't have many cookbooks, actually... too few, actually. :-) I improvise like a madman, though.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on July 02, 2020, 01:28:03 PM
Beer adds a little umami, I find... and the alcohol/carbonation helps fluffiness. Same reasoning behind using carbonated water (instead or on top). I try to make the batter as liquid as possible for crepes. I don't use a specific formula... I start with however flour pours out of the bag, then add eggs and then the liquids ... roughly 1/3s water, milk, beer... or perhaps 1/2 milk 1/4 beer & water until I have the consistency I desire. And a dash of oil, come to think of it. Rapeseed or some-such... or olive.

I've not, but I've taken note. Sounds like a good idea!

I don't have many cookbooks, actually... too few, actually. :-) I improvise like a madman, though.
Heh, it's smart to use what you have.   ;)  Do you ever check out your local or (don't know how this works in Canada) inter-library loan system?  It's a great way to check out and try some cookbooks first before purchasing them.  Good not just for cookbooks, but CDs, other topics/genres too.   :)
Pohjolas Daughter

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 22, 2020, 03:48:39 PM
I see that you certainly like to cook and bake!   :)  And I'm guessing also creating your own recipes/dishes?

Much better cook than baker. The former being an art, the latter a science. I don't like to stick to recipes, is my problem (strength). I have an idea or a whim or a request or a challenge and then I go off. Half of the time when I begin cooking, I don't know what the result will be; 3/4 I don't know how the result should turn out. :-)

Just now I'm trying to make Dal & Potato-Cheese Kulchas.

Yesterday it was a pasta that came out amazingly, even for my standards.

caramelized walnut-almond-cinnamon-cardamom topping on a dark-chocolate poundcake

fresh-herb ricotta sauce on tomato-arugula lasagnette

summer salad (mache & arugula) with walnuts & feta

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on July 13, 2020, 09:28:10 AM
Much better cook than baker. The former being an art, the latter a science. I don't like to stick to recipes, is my problem (strength). I have an idea or a whim or a request or a challenge and then I go off. Half of the time when I begin cooking, I don't know what the result will be; 3/4 I don't know how the result should turn out. :-)

Just now I'm trying to make Dal & Potato-Cheese Kulchas.

Yesterday it was a pasta that came out amazingly, even for my standards.

fresh-herb ricotta sauce on tomato-arugula lasagnette

Your pasta dish looks particularly inviting to me.   :)  Looks like you added some fresh cherry tomatoes, basil and some parm?  What did you put into your ricotta sauce?

Just finishing off last bits of my lunch. Made some of my baba ghanoush a couple of days ago.  Warmed up a pita in toaster oven, sliced it in half and filled one half with some bg and added some fresh crispy lettuce, some sliced grape tomatoes, sliced cucumber from my garden, a bit more bg and a few more slices of cucumber and tomato.  Hit the spot!  Now back to nibbling on more cucumber.  They are coming in heavily now for my household...trying to give some away!  Need to try pickling; however, it's hard to have enough of them all the same size and coming in from my two plants at the same time!   :(

Happy cooking,

And let us know how your dal and kulchas come out too.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 13, 2020, 10:26:45 AM
Your pasta dish looks particularly inviting to me.   :)  Looks like you added some fresh cherry tomatoes, basil and some parm?  What did you put into your ricotta sauce?

Quartered cherry (or some such type) tomatoes added very late in the game, after garlic and onions had been sauteed well. Turned the heat up high, very briefly. Then added two fists full of arugula, turned back down, threw the pasta into the pan, and mixed it.

The ricotta sauce, warmed after the fact, got the whole treatment of my balcony garden: Mint (lots!), basis (as much as I could spare), sage (little), thyme, zest of 3/4 a lemon, salt & fresh crushed pepper.

Just finishing off last bits of my lunch. Made some of my baba ghanoush a couple of days ago.  Warmed up a pita in toaster oven, sliced it in half and filled one half with some bg and added some fresh crispy lettuce, some sliced grape tomatoes, sliced cucumber from my garden, a bit more bg and a few more slices of cucumber and tomato.  Hit the spot!  Now back to nibbling on more cucumber.  They are coming in heavily now for my household...trying to give some away!  Need to try pickling; however, it's hard to have enough of them all the same size and coming in from my two plants at the same time!   :(

Happy cooking,

And let us know how your dal and kulchas come out too.

PD

Dal is coming along VERY nicely. I've just taken sneak-peek. Kulchas are behaving nicely; the dough is super-flexible... but I'll wait with making them until my dinner-companion arrives. :-)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on July 13, 2020, 10:33:17 AM
Quartered cherry (or some such type) tomatoes added very late in the game, after garlic and onions had been sauteed well. Turned the heat up high, very briefly. Then added two fists full of arugula, turned back down, threw the pasta into the pan, and mixed it.

The ricotta sauce, warmed after the fact, got the whole treatment of my balcony garden: Mint (lots!), basis (as much as I could spare), sage (little), thyme, zest of 3/4 a lemon, salt & fresh crushed pepper.

Dal is coming along VERY nicely. I've just taken sneak-peek. Kulchas are behaving nicely; the dough is super-flexible... but I'll wait with making them until my dinner-companion arrives. :-)
Sounds tasty!  Bye the way, your pictures suddenly disappeared (your most recent ones).

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

SurprisedByBeauty

Here are my exploits from last night, with my first-ever effort on Kulchas... served with buttery black-gram dal & and a Bruno Sorg '17 vieilles vignes Pinot Gris.

Pohjolas Daughter

Looks like you were spending a lot of time cooking yesterday!  Are you pleased with how everything came out?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 14, 2020, 06:49:10 AM
Looks like you were spending a lot of time cooking yesterday!  Are you pleased with how everything came out?

PD

Yes, quite. The dal was amazing. The dough was super stretchy and held up. Could have been thinner. The filling more cheese-heavy. But yes. Very pleased, as was my better half.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on July 15, 2020, 03:11:19 AM
Yes, quite. The dal was amazing. The dough was super stretchy and held up. Could have been thinner. The filling more cheese-heavy. But yes. Very pleased, as was my better half.
Oh, good!

I'm currently looking at cucumber recipes (see gardening thread if interested).   :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Carlo Gesualdo

Hi people outhere : Friends, Followers, Gentle wanderer, deprofundis made a recipe vedgy whit bacon +cheese sausages.
, Now you buy green onion also aka ciboulette, un white onion, on  entire garlic goose. Slice them hash thins  than you need spinages too and white wine to marinated the type of ognions, put lemon juice and honeey(just a tip) in and balsamic sauce  + etra virgin oil, micx it in a pot of glass whit love wait for it's in the frigs? after 3 hour  put you're oven element to max start the oil after this put it at 5 or 6 depend on strench of oven, tham let it steam cook whit  the vedgy mix of fresh garlic, fresh onion,  fresh green onion
Than you need two sausages bacon and cheese, gentelmens , lady outhere on GmG this is quite tasty!  :P

Pohjolas Daughter

Glad that you had a tasty meal deprofundis.

Had my first bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich yesterday....soooo tasty!  I happened to have an heirloom tomato on hand (nice and ripe) which upped the notch a bit.  Cooked some extra bacon, so might have another one today.   :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter