What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carlo Gesualdo

Okay here my soft spot Cassoulet, it's a recipe made in france from france not quebec,,  it's origin unknow until now, you like duck meat you gonna get a load of duck here, duck fat, duck flesh, duck gelly and traditional yellow beans, that the stuff of emperor kings ask anyone whom ever taste good one, do you buy it all done or you make it, cassoulet lovers? out ther? hey ! what about it.

Tomorrow I am eating some whit a friend at home  ;D

Pohjolas Daughter

Figuring out Thanksgiving dinner here:

Appetizers (not certain yet)?

Starter:  A cup of butternut squash soup that I made recently and froze.  Has a touch of heat to it so am thinking of topping it with some plain Greek yogurt, a bit of chopped cilantro and a tiny drizzle of honey

Main:  *Deborah Madison's Tossed Spinach Lasagne and Goat Cheese Gratin (haven't tried this recipe before, but 99% of the time, I've enjoyed her dishes.  This also gives me a chance at hauling out my hand-cranked pasta machine and have a go at making some fresh spinach pasta).  https://pieinthewoods.wordpress.com/2012/12/07/tossed-spinach-lasagna/

Salad:  a green salad with a simple mustard & sherry vinaigrette dressing
           trying to figure out what other veggie dish or dishes to have with it?

Dessert:  chocolate pot-de-creme with whipped cream

*or I may go old-school and do a meat lasagna as my friend is not particularly into food and is more of a meat-and-potatoes kind of guy (though he claims to have liked everything that I've inflicted upon him.  ;) :D

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Mirror Image

Sounds good, PD, although I'm not crazy about the spinach and goat cheese lasagna idea (I really dislike goat cheese or really any kind of funky tasting cheese for that matter). I'm more of an old school lasagna lover --- either a meat one or a four cheese would be my own personal preference.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 24, 2020, 09:46:40 AM
Sounds good, PD, although I'm not crazy about the spinach and goat cheese lasagna idea (I really dislike goat cheese or really any kind of funky tasting cheese for that matter). I'm more of an old school lasagna lover --- either a meat one or a four cheese would be my own personal preference.
That's o.k.!  We all have different tastes.  Must admit, I love cheese:  all kinds, blue, goat, various artisanal cheeses...yum!  Out of curiosity, are you much of a veggie lover?  I don't believe that I've ever had a four-cheese lasagna.  I have had four-cheese ravioli before (which I love).  I remember years ago when I had made a spinach lasagna for my parents that they LOVED it!  Believe that the recipe was from either the Moosewood Cookbook or the Enchanted Broccoli Forest one (by Mollie Kazan).  I suspect that it was the overall cheesieness of it that they enjoyed (including using fresh mozzarella).   :)

Your mom's sweet potato soufflé sounds interesting:  recipe please.  ;D

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Does anybody like Shiitake mushrooms?

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on December 16, 2020, 03:46:42 PM
Does anybody like Shiitake mushrooms?
Yuuuuummmmmm!!!  ;D  Mushrooms overall....heavenly!  :)

Any favorite recipes using them?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Mirror Image

What does everyone's Christmas menus look like this year? Trying anything new? My mom is making her customary shells and cheese with her meat sauce. I think we'll be having a garden salad and garlic bread as well. For dessert, I believe she mentioned a cream cheese poundcake.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 17, 2020, 06:42:02 AM
What does everyone's Christmas menus look like this year? Trying anything new? My mom is making her customary shells and cheese with her meat sauce. I think we'll be having a garden salad and garlic bread as well. For dessert, I believe she mentioned a cream cheese poundcake.

Since you ask, John.  My girlfriend and I are doing drive by deliveries of Christmas lunch/dinner that we are preparing, to close family members (due to COVID19 restrictions).

Included on the menu:

*Roasted Turkey
*Maple glazed smoked ham
*Honey glazed carrots
*Mashed potatoes
*Mashed yams/turnips/squash mix
*Stuffing
*Cranberry sauce
*Gravy
*Tourtiere (French Canadian meat pie)

For dessert:

*Gingersnap cookies
*Lemon shortbread cookies

All homemade by us, except for the tourtiere.

Mirror Image

Quote from: OrchestralNut on December 17, 2020, 08:38:01 AM
Since you ask, John.  My girlfriend and I are doing drive by deliveries of Christmas lunch/dinner that we are preparing, to close family members (due to COVID19 restrictions).

Included on the menu:

*Roasted Turkey
*Maple glazed smoked ham
*Honey glazed carrots
*Mashed potatoes
*Mashed yams/turnips/squash mix
*Stuffing
*Cranberry sauce
*Gravy
*Tourtiere (French Canadian meat pie)

For dessert:

*Gingersnap cookies
*Lemon shortbread cookies

All homemade by us, except for the tourtiere.

Sounds great, Ray. Good to see you on here.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 17, 2020, 05:03:01 AM
Yuuuuummmmmm!!!  ;D  Mushrooms overall....heavenly!  :)

Any favorite recipes using them?

PD

I usually soak dried shiitake mushrooms in water for at least 8 hours, but they will become very tender after soaking 2 nights.  I remove stems before or after the soaking. Imo, the aromatic water after the soaking is more important than the mushrooms. I use the water for soup of Udon noodles, vegetable soup, etc. with the soaked mushrooms. You can add soy sauce, sake (or sugar), Hondashi (or any Dashi) into the water.  My secret is that I put a little salt on gills 15 minutes before cooking. This will eliminate the raw smell and enhance the unique taste of Shiitake mushrooms.

Also, shiitake mushrooms are great for fried rice. I add a little sesame oil, salt, and some vegetables. Plus, they are good with pastas. They maybe good for sandwiches as well, but I haven't tried it yet.  I must think about effective dressing (teriyaki plus wasabi?). If you have your own recipes, please let me know.

71 dB

Just drunk alchohol-free GLÖGI and ate one JOULUTORTTU.

These are traditional Finnish Christmas foods and drinks and very tasty. Ah, feeling the Christmas now.  :)

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Artem

Joulutorttu are the best!! I love Finnish pastry.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on December 17, 2020, 07:39:45 PM
I usually soak dried shiitake mushrooms in water for at least 8 hours, but they will become very tender after soaking 2 nights.  I remove stems before or after the soaking. Imo, the aromatic water after the soaking is more important than the mushrooms. I use the water for soup of Udon noodles, vegetable soup, etc. with the soaked mushrooms. You can add soy sauce, sake (or sugar), Hondashi (or any Dashi) into the water.  My secret is that I put a little salt on gills 15 minutes before cooking. This will eliminate the raw smell and enhance the unique taste of Shiitake mushrooms.

Also, shiitake mushrooms are great for fried rice. I add a little sesame oil, salt, and some vegetables. Plus, they are good with pastas. They maybe good for sandwiches as well, but I haven't tried it yet.  I must think about effective dressing (teriyaki plus wasabi?). If you have your own recipes, please let me know.
Hi,

I've been thinking about your question regarding recipes and am trying to think of ones in which I've used dried shiitake mushrooms and am drawing a blank.  I've often used dried porcini mushrooms (soaking in really hot water for about 20 minutes, covered, then using removing them and using a fine-mesh strainer to remove any debris from the soaking liquid)--often in Italian recipes.  Your soups sound lovely!  I'd really like to get much better at Japanese recipes.  When you soak yours, are you using cold water?  And mushrooms with pasta are also heavenly!  :)

Also, there's a recipe that I love by Deborah Madison (I'll try and find a link to it) which uses spinach in terms of making the crêpe batter and has you make a three-layered "cake" with a spread of I believe ricotta and parmesan and various fresh herbs mixed in between the layers....and topped with a sautéed mixture of various wild mushrooms (can be in a cream sauce or using mushroom broth) along with some fresh herbs.   A fair bit of work, but oh so good!  One nice thing:  I found out that I could freeze the extra crêpes (I used some wax paper or parchment paper between them), stack them and put into a ziplock bag.  Really an excellent recipe, but not something for a regular work night.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Papy Oli

1st attempt at home-made garlic soup earlier on for lunch. Will definitely repeat that again :)
Olivier

Brahmsian

Quote from: Papy Oli on January 14, 2021, 06:06:18 AM
1st attempt at home-made garlic soup earlier on for lunch. Will definitely repeat that again :)

I LOVE garlic. Absolutely love it! There are hardly any savoury recipes that I don't use garlic, and whatever the recipe calls for, I usually add a couple more cloves to it.

HOWEVER, I attempted a garlic soup a few months ago (forty cloves) soup, and I was disappointed by it. I think if I try a different recipe and perhaps add a few things to it (Italian sausage), I might be more successful.

Papy Oli

I love garlic as well but I only used about 10 cloves, that was more than enough !!  :o

A couple of large diced potatoes in a small sauce pan of vegetable stock, added some thyme. Meanwhile, roasted the cloves (with skin) inside a foil wrap with a good bit of olive oil for 15-20 minutes. Toast some bread for croutons. Peel the cloves off, add in the pan once the potatoes are soft, blend it to a velouté texture. Serve with the croutons and another drizzle of olive oil.

That was a proper hearty soup for a miserable drizzly day  ;D

Olivier

Brahmsian

Quote from: Papy Oli on January 14, 2021, 06:54:53 AM
I love garlic as well but I only used about 10 cloves, that was more than enough !!  :o

A couple of large diced potatoes in a small sauce pan of vegetable stock, added some thyme. Meanwhile, roasted the cloves (with skin) inside a foil wrap with a good bit of olive oil for 15-20 minutes. Toast some bread for croutons. Peel the cloves off, add in the pan once the potatoes are soft, blend it to a velouté texture. Serve with the croutons and another drizzle of olive oil.

Ahhh, perhaps the potatoes added a degree of texture that might make a difference in this one. I will keep that in mind.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Papy Oli on January 14, 2021, 06:54:53 AM

Sounds yummy Olivier!
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Yesterday, I made a big batch of stuffed shells.  I used Jumbo shells (normally use manicotti, but grocery store had been out of them for quite some time....why?  Don't know as they had many other types of dried pasta by the same brand!).

Filled them with a mixture of sautéed chopped mushrooms, some garlic, cooked chopped fresh spinach, ricotta, parmesan, an egg, a bit of chopped parsley, freshly grated nutmeg.  Spent ages stuffing them (but enjoyed a classical concert over the radio whilst doing it).  Baked them in a cast iron baking dish with some marinara sauce under them, more sauce on top and sprinkled some more grated parm on top.  Came out nicely and I have a bunch to freeze and was even able to share some of them with a friend.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Brahmsian

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 18, 2021, 04:04:38 AM
Yesterday, I made a big batch of stuffed shells.  I used Jumbo shells (normally use manicotti, but grocery store had been out of them for quite some time....why?  Don't know as they had many other types of dried pasta by the same brand!).

Filled them with a mixture of sautéed chopped mushrooms, some garlic, cooked chopped fresh spinach, ricotta, parmesan, an egg, a bit of chopped parsley, freshly grated nutmeg.  Spent ages stuffing them (but enjoyed a classical concert over the radio whilst doing it).  Baked them in a cast iron baking dish with some marinara sauce under them, more sauce on top and sprinkled some more grated parm on top.  Came out nicely and I have a bunch to freeze and was even able to share some of them with a friend.

PD

Sounds absolutely delicious!  :)