What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

This morning: a bagel with cream cheese, some Genoa salami (sliced paper thin) and a handful of pistachios.

DavidW

Vegetarian is way easier than vegan.  Vegan cheese is usually just coconut oil.  So many bread products contain dairy anyway it is just crazy.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 25, 2021, 06:34:18 AM
This morning: a bagel with cream cheese, some Genoa salami (sliced paper thin) and a handful of pistachios.
One of my favorites:  toasted bagel, cream cheese, gravlax, capers, sliced tomato and scallions or red onion.  :)

Quote from: DavidW on January 25, 2021, 07:57:25 AM
Vegetarian is way easier than vegan.  Vegan cheese is usually just coconut oil.  So many bread products contain dairy anyway it is just crazy.
More options, yes.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 25, 2021, 08:42:12 AM
One of my favorites:  toasted bagel, cream cheese, gravlax, capers, sliced tomato and scallions or red onion.  :)

Take off the gravlax and capers and I'm game! :D

DavidW

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 25, 2021, 06:34:18 AM

I like the old smoked salmon and cream cheese on an English muffin.

I've been going the bagel route in the morning as well MI.  Bagel, hummus and avocado.  It is yummy and filling!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 25, 2021, 08:48:17 AM
Take off the gravlax and capers and I'm game! :D
Not a fan of gravlax?  I love it.  Easy to make too.   :)

Quote from: DavidW on January 25, 2021, 08:58:37 AM
I like the old smoked salmon and cream cheese on an English muffin.

I've been going the bagel route in the morning as well MI.  Bagel, hummus and avocado.  It is yummy and filling!
Smoked salmon is yummy too!  Your breakfast sounds nice.

I made a breakfast burrito today with reheated refried beans, some leftover rice, cheddar cheese and fresh spinach.  With a glass of OJ.

Brahmsian

On the menu tonight for supper (in the middle of being prepared):

Roast beef (4.5 lb blade roast), with mushroom and wine gravy.

Mashed potatoes, cooked carrots and Yorkshire pudding.

Side Greek style salad.

Benji

Quote from: DavidW on January 25, 2021, 07:57:25 AM

If you like Indian food, vegan is really easy and varied. I got this vegan Indian cookbook called Zaika and working my way through it - all simple enough if you've got the usual spices and can get a selection of lentils and veggies.

But I won't lie, I have occasionally used ghee to cook the veggies because it's just so good 😄 And I might have topped with an egg once or twice. 🤷‍♂️

DavidW

I love Indian food (in fact I had it tonight) I'll have to check out this cookbook.

Pohjolas Daughter

Love Indian food too!  :)  Not very good at making it myself.  One of my kitchen projects!

PD

p.s.  Thanks for that cookbook title too.  I'll check it out.

DavidW

I think I'm going to cook egg fried rice tonight.  I'll have to see if I can find oyster sauce at the grocery store.

BWV 1080

put a Picanha in the Sous Vide

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DavidW on January 31, 2021, 09:16:35 AM
I think I'm going to cook egg fried rice tonight.  I'll have to see if I can find oyster sauce at the grocery store.
Sounds good.  What do you either add to it or have as a side?

Quote from: BWV 1080 on January 31, 2021, 09:45:49 AM
put a Picanha in the Sous Vide
I hadn't heard of that cut before now, so I googled it.

I've been tempted to try sous vide.  What appliance do you own and how do you like it?  And what other things have you cooked with it?

Currently letting a batch of chili cook.  New recipe for me.

PD

Brahmsian

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 31, 2021, 11:15:44 AM

PD

Yum, yum! I love chili.  :)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: OrchestralNut on January 31, 2021, 11:29:18 AM
Yum, yum! I love chili.  :)
I hope that it turns out well.  This is a (reasonably) quick veggie version.

I'd love to find a really good recipe for a white chicken chili.  Also, a really good one for a black/red...whatever bean chili....just one that tastes fantastic!  And would be happy here to make it from scratch.

PD

BWV 1080

I hadn't heard of that cut before now, so I googled it.

I've been tempted to try sous vide.  What appliance do you own and how do you like it?  And what other things have you cooked with it?

PD

Hopefully no beans in the Chile

I have a basic Anova which I just use in a large stock pot.  Works great for any meat you want at a specific temperature-  chicken, pork, fish as well as red meats.   Chicken breasts at 140F/60C are great - avoids the whole 165F rubbery chicken (Food safety is temp x time and 165F is the instant kill temp for chicken, no need to actually have it get that hot, longer cooking at 140 is just as safe)

DavidW

Steamed broccoli would be great with it, but it depends on what I have on hand.

DavidW

So mushrooms was what I had, and that worked well.  Here is the recipe.  I used peanut oil and oyster sauce.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: BWV 1080 on January 31, 2021, 11:56:36 AM
Hopefully no beans in the Chile

I have a basic Anova which I just use in a large stock pot.  Works great for any meat you want at a specific temperature-  chicken, pork, fish as well as red meats.   Chicken breasts at 140F/60C are great - avoids the whole 165F rubbery chicken (Food safety is temp x time and 165F is the instant kill temp for chicken, no need to actually have it get that hot, longer cooking at 140 is just as safe)
Yes, beans were involved (veggie version)  ;) 8)  I know that this is anathema in places like Texas.  If you have a great meat version, I'd love to see it!  :)

Does the Anova work well for bone-in meat, chicken and/or fish?  Have you also tried batch cooking (like with multiple chicken breasts in a bag)?  And lastly, have you tried creating your own sous vide cooler?  Also, do you normally brown the food at all afterwards?

A friend of mine gave me a gift card to a nice cookware store, so could be tempting to use it on one!

PD

BWV 1080

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 01, 2021, 05:19:52 AM
Yes, beans were involved (veggie version)  ;) 8)  I know that this is anathema in places like Texas.  If you have a great meat version, I'd love to see it!  :)

Does the Anova work well for bone-in meat, chicken and/or fish?  Have you also tried batch cooking (like with multiple chicken breasts in a bag)?  And lastly, have you tried creating your own sous vide cooler?  Also, do you normally brown the food at all afterwards?

A friend of mine gave me a gift card to a nice cookware store, so could be tempting to use it on one!

PD

never tried a whole bone-in chicken, have done thighs.  Do a lot of fish - but mostly filets.  You do need to brown meat after the sous vide - usually sear it on a frying pan or grill.  A bonus is the bag you cook the meat in contains all the juices so its great for a sauce