What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brahmsian

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 03, 2021, 11:26:31 AM
Thank you!  By the way, did you add fresh or dried bay leaves?  I'm curious to hear as to how you like the leftovers and whether or not you would change anything if you made it again?

PD

I added dry bay leaves. I always thought that was how they came? 😂

I would cut my potatoes a little smaller (mine were a little bit bigger than an inch cubed), because I had to add a bit of cooking time to soften the potatoes more.

Some different fasolakia recipes call for some cumin, so I might consider adding some next time around.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: BWV 1080 on March 03, 2021, 11:27:03 AM
But you want the dry rub to create a 'crust' when you grill it.

From reading the article I linked, I dont think the marinade gets into the chicken any better than if you just coat it right before you cook (again unless it is a brine, which I dont think the traditional tandoori is)
Sorry, but I, and I should have mentioned this earlier, I guess I thought that you would have used one vs. the other.  I'm trying to think of any recipes that I've seen before which called for both.  From what I recall, it's been one vs. the other.  Trying to think of any recipes that I've seen that have called for both.  :-\  I remember a recipe that my mother used to make for a London broil which had a wet marinade, but you could taste it in the steak and see it too (and no it didn't penetrate it far, but you could still taste it).

Best,

PD

Brahmsian

Not eating per se, but making a big batch of vegetable broth at the moment. The house smells divine!  :)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: OrchestralNut on March 06, 2021, 07:58:17 AM
Not eating per se, but making a big batch of vegetable broth at the moment. The house smells divine!  :)
Homemade veggie broth is great!  What do you like to put into yours and about how long do you cook it for?

PD

Brahmsian

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 06, 2021, 01:56:36 PM
Homemade veggie broth is great!  What do you like to put into yours and about how long do you cook it for?

PD

Yesterday's batch made about 6.5 quarts of broth, which I split between four cup containers and two cup containers. Handy for many recipes.

I put about three or four onions, four smashed garlic cloves, teaspoon each of peppercorns, thyme, oregano and parsley. Celery, leeks, two tomatoes, carrots, an ounce or so of dried mushrooms and bay leaves, usually four.

Simmer for about 90 minutes.

I'll also sometimes add (but only sparingly) a few broccoli stems, bell peppers, and other odds and ends.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: OrchestralNut on March 07, 2021, 05:07:50 AM
Yesterday's batch made about 6.5 quarts of broth, which I split between four cup containers and two cup containers. Handy for many recipes.

I put about three or four onions, four smashed garlic cloves, teaspoon each of peppercorns, thyme, oregano and parsley. Celery, leeks, two tomatoes, carrots, an ounce or so of dried mushrooms and bay leaves, usually four.

Simmer for about 90 minutes.

I'll also sometimes add (but only sparingly) a few broccoli stems, bell peppers, and other odds and ends.
I suspect that you end with up about a gallon by the end?  And sounds good!  I often save up veggie and herb scraps in a container in the freezer to add to the pot (for either chicken or veggie stock) and supplement from there.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 07, 2021, 10:37:04 AM
I suspect that you end with up about a gallon by the end?  And sounds good!  I often save up veggie and herb scraps in a container in the freezer to add to the pot (for either chicken or veggie stock) and supplement from there.

That's exactly what I do as well. The only things I usually end up adding is the onions and garlic and tomato, with whatever I had accumulated for the scrap bag in the freezer.

Ended up with about 1.5, gallons or roughly 6.5 quarts.

Pohjolas Daughter

I made some homemade tomato soup (using oven roasted tomatoes and garlic), fresh herbs and finishing it with light cream and some finely shredded fresh basil.  Had it with a toasty and cheesy grilled cheese (made in a cast-iron pan).  Very pleased with how the soup came out.  Off now to put away the leftovers.  :)

PD

Brahmsian

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 16, 2021, 11:23:30 AM
I made some homemade tomato soup (using oven roasted tomatoes and garlic), fresh herbs and finishing it with light cream and some finely shredded fresh basil.  Had it with a toasty and cheesy grilled cheese (made in a cast-iron pan).  Very pleased with how the soup came out.  Off now to put away the leftovers.  :)

PD

Oh yummy!  That sounds delicious.  :)

Pohjolas Daughter

Spent the morning poaching a whole chicken, shredding it, and am now reducing the stock.  Then off to the dump in a bit to get rid of the bones, etc.  Hope to make a new recipe for a non-authentic Indian curry which has apples and chicken in it tomorrow.

PD

Stürmisch Bewegt

Making a tasty and inexpensive treat of my own invention (inspired by ice cream sandwiches): between two graham crackers we slather yogurt (citrus flavors work best, lime or lemon, Noosa works esp. well) and arrange in shallow glass pans, cover, and place in freezer.  Ready in a coupla hours.  Wife sez I'm a genius.   
Leben heißt nicht zu warten, bis der Sturm vorbeizieht, sondern lernen, im Regen zu tanzen.

DavidW

Quote from: Stürmisch Bewegt on April 02, 2021, 10:28:35 AM
Making a tasty and inexpensive treat of my own invention (inspired by ice cream sandwiches): between two graham crackers we slather yogurt (citrus flavors work best, lime or lemon, Noosa works esp. well) and arrange in shallow glass pans, cover, and place in freezer.  Ready in a coupla hours.  Wife sez I'm a genius.   

Nice!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Stürmisch Bewegt on April 02, 2021, 10:28:35 AM
Smart idea!  :)

Wasn't familiar with Noosa however, so I googled it.  Found it a bit strange that it contains gelatin (from cows) and also tapioca starch.   :-\  How would you describe the taste, texture and thickness of it?  Just curious.  :)

PD

DavidW

What are you all going to have for Easter dinner?  I was thinking baked salmon and asparagus.

Stürmisch Bewegt

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 02, 2021, 12:33:19 PM
Smart idea!  :)

Wasn't familiar with Noosa however, so I googled it.  Found it a bit strange that it contains gelatin (from cows) and also tapioca starch.   :-\  How would you describe the taste, texture and thickness of it?  Just curious.  :)
PD

THANK YOU, PD, for being on the case:  I'm a (lacto-ovo) vegetarian and should not be eating that stuff!  :o  Have to look around now for something else.  ( Liberté yogurt, from Canada, is quite good, though expensive and hard-to-find here).  Most of Noosa's flavors are a happy combo of sweet and tart, and quite creamy.  A little heavier on the calorie side, but judged it worthwhile.  And they have something unique in yogurt, that I've seen anyway: strawberry rhubarb. Quite yum, but now off the menu.   :'(

Leben heißt nicht zu warten, bis der Sturm vorbeizieht, sondern lernen, im Regen zu tanzen.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Stürmisch Bewegt on April 02, 2021, 03:19:16 PM
THANK YOU, PD, for being on the case:  I'm a (lacto-ovo) vegetarian and should not be eating that stuff!  :o  Have to look around now for something else.  ( Liberté yogurt, from Canada, is quite good, though expensive and hard-to-find here).  Most of Noosa's flavors are a happy combo of sweet and tart, and quite creamy.  A little heavier on the calorie side, but judged it worthwhile.  And they have something unique in yogurt, that I've seen anyway: strawberry rhubarb. Quite yum, but now off the menu.   :'(
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...I hadn't intended to but admit that I was surprised that it contained gelatin (as I hadn't seen that in yogurt products before).  Apologies for 'bursting your bubble'.  :(

Quote from: ultralinear on April 10, 2021, 02:55:05 AM
The jar of sauerkraut which has been fermenting quietly under my desk for the past fortnight has just exploded.  Blew the top right off.  Made a hell of a bang. :o

TBH I had forgotten all about it, hadn't vented it for at least a week, so it is my own fault. ::)

Fortunately it was inside a strong rubble sack - to keep out the light - which contained the blast, so my precious NAS drives etc weren't drenched in stinking fluid. :)

On the plus side, I can't wait to taste this one, looks like it should be good. ;D
Oh, my!!!  Haven't tried to make it before now, but from what I've heard, you need to "burp them" regularly.  Hope that it's still safe to eat?  I don't know much about how to figure out these kind of things.  If don't know, best to throw out me thinks.  Good luck!

PD

steve ridgway

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: steve ridgway on May 02, 2021, 08:45:28 PM
Deep fried Colin the Caterpillar cake - Not! ???

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-56955873
Nope!

Had a decent lunch here at home today...a sandwich!  Used a small chiabatta loaf cut in half.  Had some leftover tzikis sauce (after warming the bread)--slathered some over top and bottom.  Sliced some tomato, thinly sliced red onion, slices of fresh mozzarella and topped with a few leaves of Thai basil (trying to use it up) and a few handfuls of arugula leaves.  Hit the spot!

PD

Pohjolas Daughter

VonStupp

The girls and I are going to attempt this Grape Balsamic Caramel Cake today. Should I be concerned about the 20 tbsp. of butter?!?

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."