What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brahmsian

Quote from: VonStupp on June 07, 2021, 06:58:07 AM
The girls and I are going to attempt this Grape Balsamic Caramel Cake today. Should I be concerned about the 20 tbsp. of butter?!?

My only concern would be if you have included enough butter.  :D

Pohjolas Daughter

The girls and I are going to attempt this Grape Balsamic Caramel Cake today. Should I be concerned about the 20 tbsp. of butter?!?

Quite an interesting recipe!  I'm guessing that it's from here?  https://www.piesandtacos.com/grape-cake-with-balsamic-caramel-swiss-meringue-buttercream/

Well, if your cholesterol levels are decent, I wouldn't worry....though you might be nice and share the cake (not certain how big your family is)....would make your neighbors and friends happy.   :)  ;)

Let us know how it comes out.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Some how or another I stumbled across an article about an apparently British favorite:  HP sauce.  Not certain of the year, but Heinz bought the company and then apparently, due to pressure from the British government, changed the recipe to reduce the sodium (but it also raised the calorie levels and more).  So, did they change it back?  Haven't had it before, but am curious....

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Brahmsian

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 07, 2021, 03:32:01 PM
Some how or another I stumbled across an article about an apparently British favorite:  HP sauce.  Not certain of the year, but Heinz bought the company and then apparently, due to pressure from the British government, changed the recipe to reduce the sodium (but it also raised the calorie levels and more).  So, did they change it back?  Haven't had it before, but am curious....

PD

HP sauce is also popular in Canada.

Papy Oli

HP sauce is popular in this house  ;D This brown sauce beats the red sauce hands down for sausage and bacon sandwiches  >:D
Olivier

steve ridgway

No, the dangerous ingredient is actually the sugar.

VonStupp

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 07, 2021, 07:17:31 AM
Quite an interesting recipe!  I'm guessing that it's from here?  https://www.piesandtacos.com/grape-cake-with-balsamic-caramel-swiss-meringue-buttercream/

I wouldn't worry....though you might be nice and share the cake (not certain how big your family is)....would make your neighbors and friends happy.   :)  ;)

Let us know how it comes out.

PD

No worries! We eat very little of our baking and pawn it off at work usually. Mostly, it is an activity for my girls to understand how to follow a recipe, understanding measurements, and following through with specific instructions. They love putting all of this together and the activity is way more entertaining than the end product. Balsamic caramel is not too bad, though...
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: VonStupp on June 08, 2021, 10:09:24 AM
No worries! We eat very little of our baking and pawn it off at work usually. Mostly, it is an activity for my girls to understand how to follow a recipe, understanding measurements, and following through with specific instructions. They love putting all of this together and the activity is way more entertaining than the end product. Balsamic caramel is not too bad, though...
Oh, how sweet (pun not totally unintended).  I've been known to have 'foisted off' some of my baking on neighbors and friends.  Hope that all had a good time making it.

Did you enjoy the end result?  :)

PD

p.s.  In my later years, I've gotten hooked on lemon curd.  Often just have a little bit with fresh fruit.  It freezes really well too.  I have a great recipe for it if you're interested?

Quote from: OrchestralNut on June 07, 2021, 03:43:11 PM
HP sauce is also popular in Canada.
Quote from: Papy Oli on June 07, 2021, 11:58:27 PM
HP sauce is popular in this house  ;D This brown sauce beats the red sauce hands down for sausage and bacon sandwiches  >:D
Must admit, I've never had a sausage and bacon sandwich--or are those two different types of sandwiches?  What else do you put in them by the way?
Pohjolas Daughter

Papy Oli

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 08, 2021, 02:21:41 PM
Must admit, I've never had a sausage and bacon sandwich--or are those two different types of sandwiches?  What else do you put in them by the way?

Sorry PD, that was meant as sausage or bacon sandwich but nothing stops us putting both together inside a baguette, a ciabatta, a bread roll etc... I can add a good dollop of butter, a good dollop of Dijon mustard, some grated cheese, some crisps, some lettuce, some sliced tomatoes... anything really  ;D... but very rarely ketchup (personal taste obviously).
Olivier

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Papy Oli on June 09, 2021, 02:54:03 AM
Sorry PD, that was meant as sausage or bacon sandwich but nothing stops us putting both together inside a baguette, a ciabatta, a bread roll etc... I can add a good dollop of butter, a good dollop of Dijon mustard, some grated cheese, some crisps, some lettuce, some sliced tomatoes... anything really  ;D... but very rarely ketchup (personal taste obviously).
One of my favorites (particularly during the summertime when you can get really tasty, ripe tomatoes is a BLT.  Bacon, lettuce and tomato on (one of the few times) some lightly toasted white bread with a bit of mayo, a touch of salt (not too much as bacon is already quite salty) and freshly ground black pepper.  Yum!  :)

I like ketchup but also enjoy other spreads/condiments on sandwiches.  Love ketchup on hamburgers--along with a nice mustard.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

VonStupp

So the girls and I are stuck indoors to avoid the heat, so that means its baking challenge time for us again.

I realize I had never made a pâte à choux dough before, and it looks like it won't be easy, so it will be right up our alley.

I think it is going to be Banana Cream Pie Eclairs.  You have to enjoy a recipe, when the instructions say:

QuoteWhip the bejesus out of it!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: VonStupp on July 06, 2021, 02:39:18 PM
So the girls and I are stuck indoors to avoid the heat, so that means its baking challenge time for us again.

I realize I had never made a pâte à choux dough before, and it looks like it won't be easy, so it will be right up our alley.

I think it is going to be Banana Cream Pie Eclairs.  You have to enjoy a recipe, when the instructions say:

Trust that you have A/C in the kitchen (or whole house?)?  Funny instructions!  ;D

Off to the grocery store soon (to avoid the heat).  Made a decent-sized batch of baba ganoush yesterday to have as a few lunches/snacks over the next week.  Also steamed some beets.  Am thinking of making a cold beet borsch(t) soup today.  Also, I have the ingredients for a tomato gazpacho (Believe it or not but it's an old Moosewood cookbook recipe.).  Thinking also about making some lemon curd.  I like to spoon a small amount over a big bowl of fresh fruit.

As an aside, in either the Moosewood cookbook or The Enchanted Broccoli Forest, there's a really nice recipe for a chilled melon soup (freezes well too).  Haven't made it in ages...eons but think about it on hot steamy summer days....very refreshing!

Happy baking!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

VonStupp

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 07, 2021, 03:16:17 AM
Trust that you have A/C in the kitchen (or whole house?)?  Funny instructions!  ;D

Off to the grocery store soon (to avoid the heat).  Made a decent-sized batch of baba ganoush yesterday to have as a few lunches/snacks over the next week.  Also steamed some beets.  Am thinking of making a cold beet borsch(t) soup today.  Also, I have the ingredients for a tomato gazpacho (Believe it or not but it's an old Moosewood cookbook recipe.).  Thinking also about making some lemon curd.  I like to spoon a small amount over a big bowl of fresh fruit.

As an aside, in either the Moosewood cookbook or The Enchanted Broccoli Forest, there's a really nice recipe for a chilled melon soup (freezes well too).  Haven't made it in ages...eons but think about it on hot steamy summer days....very refreshing!

Happy baking!

PD

You definitely have a 'cool' menu planned.

Luckily, we finally have a cold front moving through later today, but saying farewell to our drought conditions means flooding with rain all week. Oddly the farmer's crops seem to grow fine without rain; I suppose that is all of the additives they use nowadays.

Well I think the Eclairs turned out just fine. Now I have to find somebody other than me to eat them. These things are huge!
VS

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: VonStupp on July 07, 2021, 10:28:00 AM
You definitely have a 'cool' menu planned.

Luckily, we finally have a cold front moving through later today, but saying farewell to our drought conditions means flooding with rain all week. Oddly the farmer's crops seem to grow fine without rain; I suppose that is all of the additives they use nowadays.

Well I think the Eclairs turned out just fine. Now I have to find somebody other than me to eat them. These things are huge!
VS

How did they come out VonStupp?  Ah!  We were typing at the same time. lol  ;D  Wish that I lived nearby and I'd happily offer to help you out of your predicament.  :D

Made the lemon curd today (in a rather warm kitchen).  It's in the fridge now chillin' and thickening.  Love this recipe and it freezes great too!  Let me know if you are interested in it.

Soup-making may have to wait 'til tomorrow morning.  What's for dinner chez vous tonight?  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

VonStupp

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 07, 2021, 10:31:58 AM
How did they come out VonStupp?  Ah!  We were typing at the same time. lol  ;D  Wish that I lived nearby and I'd happily offer to help you out of your predicament.  :D

Made the lemon curd today (in a rather warm kitchen).  It's in the fridge now chillin' and thickening.  Love this recipe and it freezes great too!  Let me know if you are interested in it.

Soup-making may have to wait 'til tomorrow morning.  What's for dinner chez vous tonight?  :)

PD

Well, I have a sick girl at home right now, so meals will be easy going until we sort her out. She would love the lemon curd, though!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: VonStupp on July 07, 2021, 10:34:24 AM
Well, I have a sick girl at home right now, so meals will be easy going until we sort her out. She would love the lemon curd, though!
Sorry to hear that.  I hope that she feels better soon!  For what its worth, I'm not sure if eating a lot of the eclairs would be the best thing for her....  :-\

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

VonStupp

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 07, 2021, 10:45:16 AM
Sorry to hear that.  I hope that she feels better soon!  For what its worth, I'm not sure if eating a lot of the eclairs would be the best thing for her....  :-\

PD

Thanks PD! And no she won't be partaking...I probably shouldn't either...

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: VonStupp on July 07, 2021, 10:51:10 AM
Thanks PD! And no she won't be partaking...I probably shouldn't either...
How's she feeling VonStupp?  And I hope that no other members of your family are feeling ill?  :(

Best wishes,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

VonStupp

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 08, 2021, 12:32:11 PM
How's she feeling VonStupp?  And I hope that no other members of your family are feeling ill?  :(

Best wishes,

PD

Thanks for inquiring PD.

It isn't coronavirus. Right now we are waiting it out. Her fever is low and she has been in pretty good spirits.
VS

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: VonStupp on July 08, 2021, 12:35:29 PM
Thanks for inquiring PD.

It isn't coronavirus. Right now we are waiting it out. Her fever is low and she has been in pretty good spirits.
VS
Well wishes your way.  I hadn't jumped to the conclusion of her having corona virus, but sorry that she has a fever.  Hopefully she'll be feeling well soon and no spreading to other family members.

Best wishes to you and your family,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter