What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VonStupp

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 08, 2021, 12:44:34 PM
Well wishes your way.  I hadn't jumped to the conclusion of her having corona virus, but sorry that she has a fever.  Hopefully she'll be feeling well soon and no spreading to other family members.

Best wishes to you and your family,

PD

Not at all, but I always jump to that conclusion with my children. We are visiting the doctor again tomorrow.

Thanks again, VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: VonStupp on July 08, 2021, 12:55:04 PM
Not at all, but I always jump to that conclusion with my children. We are visiting the doctor again tomorrow.

Thanks again, VS
How did the office visit go?  Or haven't been there yet?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

VonStupp

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 09, 2021, 09:40:11 AM
How did the office visit go?  Or haven't been there yet?

PD

Tests ended up signifying Lyme disease, a concern I had raised from her symptoms. Most likely, it is due to a few day-long sojourns that were rather forested. Luckily, it is early on, so a few weeks of antibiotics. Suffice to say, worries with this diagnosis were, and are, high.

Thanks for your concern PD! VS

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: VonStupp on July 09, 2021, 09:50:09 AM
Tests ended up signifying Lyme disease, a concern I had raised from her symptoms. Most likely, it is due to a few day-long sojourns that were rather forested. Luckily, it is early on, so a few weeks of antibiotics. Suffice to say, worries with this diagnosis were, and are, high.

Thanks for your concern PD! VS
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that it was Lyme disease!  :(  I know several people who have been infected with that--alas, one is a friend and they didn't catch it 'til late.  That said, I'm very happy to hear that they caught it early!  So, what will they do, retest at a later date to make sure that it is totally gone?  Or?

Wishing all of your family the best,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

VonStupp

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 09, 2021, 10:06:56 AM
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that it was Lyme disease!  :(  I know several people who have been infected with that--alas, one is a friend and they didn't catch it 'til late.  That said, I'm very happy to hear that they caught it early!  So, what will they do, retest at a later date to make sure that it is totally gone?  Or?

Wishing all of your family the best,

PD

No, we won't test until symptoms return. But I know this is a strange disease where it can rest latent, so you can be assured I will ask if we can retest at her next check-up.
VS

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: VonStupp on July 09, 2021, 10:37:58 AM
No, we won't test until symptoms return. But I know this is a strange disease where it can rest latent, so you can be assured I will ask if we can retest at her next check-up.
VS
Hugs to you and  your family.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Just finished a lovely BLT sandwich--on a good white bread, with mayo, lots of lettuce, 2 pieces of bacon and several thickly cut slices of an heirloom tomato.  Hit the spot.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

VonStupp

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 09, 2021, 01:06:07 PM
Hugs to you and your family.

PD

Per our conversation some time ago, my oldest just finished what I consider to be the most intense antibiotic treatment I had seen prescribed to a young person. She was a trooper though...

Thanks again! VS

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: VonStupp on July 27, 2021, 03:30:21 AM
Per our conversation some time ago, my oldest just finished what I consider to be the most intense antibiotic treatment I had seen prescribed to a young person. She was a trooper though...

Thanks again! VS
Oh, well done to her!  Hope that that part is all over with.  Hopefully, she has been/is taking some pre and probiotics to restore good gut health?

Yesterday afternoon, I made a decent-sized batch of stuffed manicotti (stuffed with a combo of ricotta, parmesan, a couple of eggs, steamed fresh spinach, and sautéed mushrooms and a clove of garlic plus some freshly grated nutmeg) and baked in some marinara sauce.  Glad to have them for dinner (will freeze some and gave some to a friend), but picked a bad day to make them--quickly became warm and humid...but I did it!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Just had a nice salad....was feeling a bit creative in the kitchen and did a take on the traditional appetizer of cantaloupe with prosciutto.

Sliced some red onion thinly and soaked it for a few minutes in ice water to help remove some of the 'sting'.  Whilst it was soaking, grabbed a couple of handful of baby arugula plus a small amount of red beet micro greens.  Put them into a salad bowl, added some ground black pepper, a tiny bit of salt, olive oil, some sherry vinegar, chopped (1 slice) prosciutto (about 2/3 of that slice).  Then strained out and dried off red onion slices and added them to salad.  Tossed it all.  Put it on a salad plate.

Topped it with chunks of cantaloupe (cheat:  purchased at a super market that way), a tiny bit more salt & pepper, last bit of prosciutto and added a squeeze of lemon juice.

Happy camper!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Wondering whether or not any of our cooks here have visited this food blog before and if so, have you tried any of her recipes and your thoughts? I was pleasantly surprised to see that at least one of her cookbooks was a New York Times bestseller.   :)

I stumbled across it whilst checking out reviews for another food blogger's cookbooks.  She cooks vegan (which I'm not though I'm always looking for more healthy meal ideas).  I'm thinking of making this Thai-inspired recipe tonight.

https://ohsheglows.com/2018/09/18/instant-pot-cauliflower-and-butternut-thai-curry/comment-page-1/

I don't own an Instant Pot, but could either make it stovetop or try it in my slow cooker.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

VonStupp

We had some extra Summer Squash from the garden, so the girls and I are going to try our hand at this Summer Squash Chocolate Bread. It makes a lot, so most of this will go to work with me.

Brahmsian

Made my big batch of homemade Ukrainian borscht soup with all vegetables either from my garden or from local farms.

Delicious, with a dollop of sour cream and some extra sprinkled fresh dill on top (traditionally how it is served). 🙂

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: VonStupp on August 29, 2021, 09:08:24 AM
We had some extra Summer Squash from the garden, so the girls and I are going to try our hand at this Summer Squash Chocolate Bread. It makes a lot, so most of this will go to work with me.

Looks yummy!  :)

Quote from: OrchestralNut on August 29, 2021, 09:11:03 AM
Made my big batch of homemade Ukrainian borscht soup with all vegetables either from my garden or from local farms.

Delicious, with a dollop of sour cream and some extra sprinkled fresh dill on top (traditionally how it is served). 🙂
Oh, boy!  Was that a straight beet one?  Or with beef?  And are you serving it hot or cold?  Details please!   ;D

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Brahmsian

Quote from: VonStupp on August 29, 2021, 09:08:24 AM

Looks delicious! 🙂 I remember many times my mother making zucchini muffins or zucchini cake. Utterly divine!

VonStupp

Quote from: OrchestralNut on August 29, 2021, 09:11:03 AM

Wonderful!

We had a friend who hosted a(n) Ukrainian foreign exchange student and he was thrilled we knew anything of his local cuisine (this was quite a while ago). We did our best, but I don't think we did any justice to those meals.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 29, 2021, 09:12:57 AM
Looks yummy!  :)
Oh, boy!  Was thus a straight beet one?  Or with beef?  And are you serving it hot or cold?  Details please!   ;D

PD

3 med/large red or golden beets
3 medium carrots,
3 med potatoes,
3 diced tomatoes,
1 onion,
1 bunch green onions,
1/2 head of green or red cabbage,
6 garlic cloves
6oz tomato paste,
fresh thyme,
fresh dill,
bay leaves,
lots of vegetable broth or water, minimum of 10 cups but likely more.

I also add 1 to 2 lbs sliced mild Italian or sweet sausage, but omit it during Ukrainian New Year's (no meat traditionally).

Served hot. Once you poor soup into a serving bowl, dump a tablespoon or two of sour cream, and sprinkle with some additional fresh dill.

Brahmsian

Quote from: VonStupp on August 29, 2021, 09:18:42 AM
Wonderful!

We had a friend who hosted a(n) Ukrainian foreign exchange student and he was thrilled we knew anything of his local cuisine (this was quite a while ago). We did our best, but I don't we did any justice to those meals.

I also love other traditional Ukrainian food such as perogies and cabbage rolls.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: OrchestralNut on August 29, 2021, 09:24:34 AM
3 med/large red or golden beets
3 medium carrots,
3 med potatoes,
3 diced tomatoes,
1 onion,
1 bunch green onions,
1/2 head of green or red cabbage,
6 garlic cloves
6oz tomato paste,
fresh thyme,
fresh dill,
bay leaves,
lots of vegetable broth or water, minimum of 10 cups but likely more.

I also add 1 to 2 lbs sliced mild Italian or sweet sausage, but omit it during Ukrainian New Year's (no meat traditionally).

Served hot. Once you pour soup into a serving bowl, dump a tablespoon or two of sour cream, and sprinkle with some additional fresh dill.
Sounds delicious!

I found a recipe for it  not too long ago in a cookbook for Veselka--a restaurant which I'm dying to visit in NYC.  From what I understand, a lot of what they serve is traditional Ukrainian food, but they also make American classics too plus their own American variations on Ukrainian classic foods.  You can get both meat and also vegetarian versions of borscht there as well as summer and winter versions.  If I'm recalling correctly, their traditional meat version takes three days to make!

https://www.veselka.com
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: VonStupp on August 29, 2021, 09:18:42 AM
Wonderful!

We had a friend who hosted a(n) Ukrainian foreign exchange student and he was thrilled we knew anything of his local cuisine (this was quite a while ago). We did our best, but I don't think we did any justice to those meals.
I'm sure that he appreciated your efforts though and that you were trying hard to make him feel at home and that you were interested in his homeland and culture.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter