Author Topic: What are you eating?  (Read 635495 times)

Online Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member
Re: What are you eating?
« Reply #4500 on: October 22, 2021, 02:50:19 AM »
I was given a large bag of frozen rhubarb, cooked it gently with a chopped orange, honey and demerara sugar and grated ginger,  A couple of spoonfuls of corn starch to thicken.   Orange and ginger were perfect.
Sounds nice!  What will you do with it now?  Eat it straight up or with something else?  Or use it to make bread, etc.?

PD

Online Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member
« Reply #4501 on: November 05, 2021, 09:09:08 AM »
Made white pasta e fagioli (a Rachael Ray recipe).  Pretty good but am hoping that it will taste better on Day 2.  It has pancetta, cannelloni beans, onions, fennel, celery, rosemary, bay leaves, chicken stock, garlic, ditalini, escarole, nutmeg and lemon in it.  Here's a link to the recipe (along with a video) if you're interested:  https://www.rachaelrayshow.com/recipes/white-pasta-e-fagioli-rachael-ray

I'd love to find a vegetarian version of it, but one that also has a lot of flavor.  I'm thinking about how I could make her recipe a bit richer flavor-wise.

PD

Online MusicTurner

• Veteran member
« Reply #4502 on: November 27, 2021, 06:19:17 AM »
Simple November snacks that have hitherto been very rare on the menu: a family member brought some eatable chestnuts - so fried them in oil and salt for about 30 mins, and then peeled them. That's the primitive version, but yummy, they had a somewhat sweet-salty flavour and felt very nourishing. Could definitely make a habit of that ...

Online Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member
« Reply #4503 on: November 29, 2021, 10:47:32 AM »
Simple November snacks that have hitherto been very rare on the menu: a family member brought some eatable chestnuts - so fried them in oil and salt for about 30 mins, and then peeled them. That's the primitive version, but yummy, they had a somewhat sweet-salty flavour and felt very nourishing. Could definitely make a habit of that ...
Never had them that way before, but happy that you enjoyed them!

Am happily eating a bowl of homemade chicken and vegetable soup.  This time I put in, carrots, onions, celery, cut up fresh green beans, added in a can of dark kidney beans, a combo of fresh and dried spices and homemade chicken stock....and some leftover cut-up chicken meat of course.  Letting myself have two bowls of it today as no breakfast and busy housecleaning here.  :)

PD

Online MusicTurner

• Veteran member
« Reply #4504 on: November 29, 2021, 10:49:47 AM »
That sounds great, seasonally relevant, and healthy as well  8)

Obviously, the chestnuts were only fried on a thin layer of oil and salt, not cooked in an oil sauce :)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 10:51:36 AM by MusicTurner »

Online Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member
« Reply #4505 on: November 29, 2021, 10:54:43 AM »
That sounds great, seasonally relevant, and healthy as well  8)

Obviously, the chestnuts were only roasted on a thin layer of oil and salt, not cooked in an oil sauce :)
It helps to balance off the leftover lasagna from Thanksgiving!  :D

Must admit, it's also nice to be able to freeze things like [some] soup, pasta sauce, etc.--including lasagna--for a day in which I'm feeling tired and not wanting to cook (like after a bunch of yard work or snow shoveling).  :)

PD

p.s.  What?!  No batter-dipped and deep-fried chestnuts?!  ;)

Online MusicTurner

• Veteran member
« Reply #4506 on: November 29, 2021, 12:03:24 PM »
( ... )

p.s.  What?!  No batter-dipped and deep-fried chestnuts?!  ;)

Hope to be able to fry some later this autumn/winter, the familiy member would try to get some, or I'll have to check out groceries, but they're not particularly common on the shelves here, though we have plenty of ordinary chestnuts (which BTW, I was told yesterday, are good as some sort of soap, they were used a lot for cleaning in that way, in the old, less ressourceful days. You cut them in small pieces and then whip/dissolve them in some water, and the result is a soap, apparently).
« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 12:10:57 PM by MusicTurner »

Online Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member
« Reply #4507 on: November 29, 2021, 12:28:07 PM »
Hope to be able to fry some later this autumn/winter, the familiy member would try to get some, or I'll have to check out groceries, but they're not particularly common on the shelves here, though we have plenty of ordinary chestnuts (which BTW, I was told yesterday, are good as some sort of soap, they were used a lot for cleaning in that way, in the old, less ressourceful days. You cut them in small pieces and then whip/dissolve them in some water, and the result is a soap, apparently).
Interesting!  Didn't know that.  :)

PD