What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LKB

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 08, 2022, 10:51:32 AM
Ah, health food!

Re omelet, don't you ever like to vary things up a bit--just for fun?

Soup came out wonderfully I'm happy to report.  I did up the amount of thyme a fair bit and upped the parsley amount a tiny bit.  Glad that I did so!

PD

Congrats on the soup!  8)

I don't vary much from any of my routines. Pretty set in my ways, I suppose.

That being said, I will be breaking routine tomorrow as some good friends are taking me to lunch.  ;)
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

VonStupp

It took 5 weeks total, but we made our very first Figgy Pudding. My in-laws are mostly teetotalers, so I didn't expect many to enjoy it, but everyone liked the lighting of the brandy (shown below). As you can see, the kids also tried their hand at gingerbread houses too.

VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: LKB on January 09, 2022, 07:55:20 AM
Congrats on the soup!  8)

I don't vary much from any of my routines. Pretty set in my ways, I suppose.

That being said, I will be breaking routine tomorrow as some good friends are taking me to lunch.  ;)
Don't recall ever having a crab omelet before.  What kind of cheese, etc. do you have in yours LKB?

Hope that you enjoy your lunch out tomorrow.  Is it a birthday treat or anything else special?  :)

Quote from: VonStupp on January 09, 2022, 08:22:27 AM
It took 5 weeks total, but we made our very first Figgy Pudding. My in-laws are mostly teetotalers, so I didn't expect many to enjoy it, but everyone liked the lighting of the brandy (shown below). As you can see, the kids also tried their hand at gingerbread houses too.

VS
Congrats!  Were you pleased with how it tasted VS?  Looks gorgeous!  And nice job by your kids on the ginger bread houses too.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Symphonic Addict

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Irons

Quote from: VonStupp on January 09, 2022, 08:22:27 AM

VS

A family Christmas tradition for my grandson and myself to present a flaming Christmas pudding to the dining table. The secret is to warm the brandy in a saucepan first. 
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Taking a short break from KP duty.  Been cooking up a [petite] storm lately.  A couple of days ago, I made a vegetarian bean chili (Deborah Madison recipe from The Greens cookbook--roasted some butternut squash to add to it at the end and cooked some white rice to go with it too).  Today, I'm caramelizing some onions (some of which were starting to green up) in the smaller of my slow cookers [Learned that adding some butter to the bottom of it and occasionally stirring them and cooking them on low for a number of hours works surprisingly well!]; also got some chickpeas soaking and either later tonight or early tomorrow will cook a yummy Ottolenghi recipe which I'm going to adapt slightly and try doing it in a slow cooker--instead of constantly stirring it for four hours on my stovetop.  If you're interested, look up his slow-cooked chickpeas on toast with poached eggs; it's to die for!  Or if you're interested, I'll post the recipe and how I'm going to try it slightly differently this time [so as not to kill the cook].  The leftovers keep really well too.

And I also have some chicken stock going now on my stovetop (using the remains of a leftover roast chicken).

By the way, the Ottolenghi recipe is vegetarian--you could also make it vegan by skipping the poached eggs.

What have the rest of the cooks here been up to lately?   :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

LKB

Finishing up an omelet atm.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: LKB on February 17, 2022, 07:00:46 AM
Finishing up an omelet atm.
Did you make it LKB or treat yourself?  And what kind?  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

LKB

There's a diner near my workplace, l have breakfast there twice a week. Good coffee, good omelets ( mushroom, cheddar cheese and ham today ) and outstanding steak and eggs, which I'll probably have Saturday or Sunday.  8)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: LKB on February 17, 2022, 07:07:04 PM
There's a diner near my workplace, l have breakfast there twice a week. Good coffee, good omelets ( mushroom, cheddar cheese and ham today ) and outstanding steak and eggs, which I'll probably have Saturday or Sunday.  8)
Sounds like you have your own "regular" spot there (to sit).  :)

Finishing up the last of my chili (froze a bit and gave some to a friend who said that he liked it and "I don't even like chili!"  ;D

Happy with how the Ottolenghi recipe (for basically a fancy beans on toast) although things didn't go as smoothly as I would have hoped.

Have two other Ottolenghi recipes that I am planning on making this week:  one is for cauliflower which you first cook for a bit in a milk and herb infused "bath" on top of the stove, then you make a sauce out for the milk and then finish it off by baking it in the oven along with some different cheeses.  The second one is a much less complicated one for roasting celeriac.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

LKB

Just arrived at the diner,  and ordered the usual omelet. Drinking coffee and reading GMG during the 5 minutes or so until breakfast is ready.  :)

Karl Henning

Chilled cut watermelon, Vermont cheddar and roasted red pepper hummus.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

VonStupp

The girls and I will be making Cardamom Pound Cake today.

VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

DavidW

Butter cauliflower.  Took an hour and a half to cook, so good thing that it was tasty and I have leftovers!

LKB

BBQ brisket sandwich just now.  Not an ideal choice, but better than anything l have at home atm.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DavidW on July 03, 2022, 04:56:31 PM
Butter cauliflower.  Took an hour and a half to cook, so good thing that it was tasty and I have leftovers!
That looks tasty!  What recipe did you use?

Fixed a nice corn (sliced some off of a cobb), cheese and cilantro quesadilla for dinner last night.  I had intended to make a green salad to go along with it, but, I must admit, I was feeling hot, sticky and tired from all of the heat and humidity lately that I got lazy and skipped it.  Much nicer today, so I hope to make a few dishes and wash up some more greens to keep me going for a few days.  :)

Oh!  Almost forgot to add that one of my favorite cooking/food magazines is now no longer.  If you go to their website though you can still download their recipes (for free) until the end of this month.  Supposedly after that, they will be taking down the website.   :'(  There is apparently a private Facebook page where their recipes have been uploaded too, but I haven't checked it out.

The magazine is FineCooking.  A hearty thank you to all of the contributors and staff who have worked on it over the years.  I've either purchased (newsstand) a number of them or subscribed to them over the years and will miss it.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

BasilValentine

I'm eating about 1/3 of a liter of wild blueberries every day. This year in the Adirondack Mountains of New York the crop is abundant and it ripens by elevation. So I've been combining my exercise and foraging by climbing a succession of increasingly higher peaks and ridges and spending an hour or two on top picking blueberries at a rate of about a liter per hour. There are now four liters in my fridge in open containers. I eat them straight with cheese and bread for contrast.

Wild blueberries, for those unfamiliar, are not like those large, pulpy berries one finds in supermarkets. They're small and much more intensely flavorful. Tomorrow I'll pick another couple of liters at about 3,300 feet on a local mountain. There's something very satisfying about free food.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: BasilValentine on July 26, 2022, 05:08:53 AM
I'm eating about 1/3 of a liter of wild blueberries every day. This year in the Adirondack Mountains of New York the crop is abundant and it ripens by elevation. So I've been combining my exercise and foraging by climbing a succession of increasingly higher peaks and ridges and spending an hour or two on top picking blueberries at a rate of about a liter per hour. There are now four liters in my fridge in open containers. I eat them straight with cheese and bread for contrast.

Wild blueberries, for those unfamiliar, are not like those large, pulpy berries one finds in supermarkets. They're small and much more intensely flavorful. Tomorrow I'll pick another couple of liters at about 3,300 feet on a local mountain. There's something very satisfying about free food.
Sounds yummy!  And healthy!  Years ago, I remember picking some wild blackberries...tasty but prickly to get at.  :)  Reminds me:  I have some raspberries in the fridge that I need to eat before they go bad.  I've been eating them with the last of the local strawberries, some blueberries and full-fat Greek yogurt--with a drizzle of local honey on top.  Yum!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

LKB

My usual Tuesday brunch, a crab omelet plus trimmings.  ;D

DavidW

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 26, 2022, 04:33:22 AM
That looks tasty!  What recipe did you use?

Here you go: https://dishingouthealth.com/butter-cauliflower-recipe/

QuoteFixed a nice corn (sliced some off of a cobb), cheese and cilantro quesadilla for dinner last night.  I had intended to make a green salad to go along with it, but, I must admit, I was feeling hot, sticky and tired from all of the heat and humidity lately that I got lazy and skipped it.  Much nicer today, so I hope to make a few dishes and wash up some more greens to keep me going for a few days.  :)

Nice!  I cooked black bean quesadillas earlier in the summer and chicken quesadillas more recently.

My recent cooking was a meatloaf, and I tried my new onion dicer.  It really saves time!