The Back Room > The Diner

What are you eating?

<< < (906/907) > >>

Pohjolas Daughter:
Taking a short break from KP duty.  Been cooking up a [petite] storm lately.  A couple of days ago, I made a vegetarian bean chili (Deborah Madison recipe from The Greens cookbook--roasted some butternut squash to add to it at the end and cooked some white rice to go with it too).  Today, I'm caramelizing some onions (some of which were starting to green up) in the smaller of my slow cookers [Learned that adding some butter to the bottom of it and occasionally stirring them and cooking them on low for a number of hours works surprisingly well!]; also got some chickpeas soaking and either later tonight or early tomorrow will cook a yummy Ottolenghi recipe which I'm going to adapt slightly and try doing it in a slow cooker--instead of constantly stirring it for four hours on my stovetop.  If you're interested, look up his slow-cooked chickpeas on toast with poached eggs; it's to die for!  Or if you're interested, I'll post the recipe and how I'm going to try it slightly differently this time [so as not to kill the cook].  The leftovers keep really well too.

And I also have some chicken stock going now on my stovetop (using the remains of a leftover roast chicken).

By the way, the Ottolenghi recipe is vegetarian--you could also make it vegan by skipping the poached eggs.

What have the rest of the cooks here been up to lately?   :)

PD

LKB:
Finishing up an omelet atm.

Pohjolas Daughter:

--- Quote from: LKB on February 17, 2022, 08:00:46 AM ---Finishing up an omelet atm.

--- End quote ---
Did you make it LKB or treat yourself?  And what kind?  :)

PD

LKB:
There's a diner near my workplace, l have breakfast there twice a week. Good coffee, good omelets ( mushroom, cheddar cheese and ham today ) and outstanding steak and eggs, which I'll probably have Saturday or Sunday.  8)

Pohjolas Daughter:

--- Quote from: LKB on February 17, 2022, 08:07:04 PM ---There's a diner near my workplace, l have breakfast there twice a week. Good coffee, good omelets ( mushroom, cheddar cheese and ham today ) and outstanding steak and eggs, which I'll probably have Saturday or Sunday.  8)

--- End quote ---
Sounds like you have your own "regular" spot there (to sit).  :)

Finishing up the last of my chili (froze a bit and gave some to a friend who said that he liked it and "I don't even like chili!"  ;D

Happy with how the Ottolenghi recipe (for basically a fancy beans on toast) although things didn't go as smoothly as I would have hoped.

Have two other Ottolenghi recipes that I am planning on making this week:  one is for cauliflower which you first cook for a bit in a milk and herb infused "bath" on top of the stove, then you make a sauce out for the milk and then finish it off by baking it in the oven along with some different cheeses.  The second one is a much less complicated one for roasting celeriac.

PD

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version