What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: ando on January 07, 2024, 11:29:33 AMNo sliding off the stack.  ;)
Hadn't had that problem before; however I don't make that big of a stack.  Trying to remember...maybe two to three for myself? Could that possibly be more to do with butter between the pancakes and the/your stack being taller than mine?  :-\  Just a thought....don't know.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

ando

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 07, 2024, 12:40:33 PMHadn't had that problem before; however I don't make that big of a stack.  Trying to remember...maybe two to three for myself? Could that possibly be more to do with butter between the pancakes and the/your stack being taller than mine?  :-\  Just a thought....don't know.  :)

PD
LOL Easier just to mix em in - and apply the butter and maple syrup when they're done.  :)

Brian

We knew this weekend would be very cold by Texas standards - 16 degrees, fortunately without any snow or ice - so we planned to spend the afternoon inside, with the oven and stove going with a time-consuming cooking project to keep the house nice and warm and us nice and full. Success!

The recipe came from a Canadian cookbook writer named Matty Matheson who I understand is also famous from being on TV and stuff. I didn't know that, I just knew his cookbook was on sale for only $8. Very pleasant surprise, this, though.

Here's what we did. First I poached beef cheeks in a little pot full of duck fat. (The recipe called for a ridiculous quantity of duck fat - two liters!!! That would be $60 of fat alone at our local store so I just got two little tubs.) This made the beef cheeks super tender, able to be pulled apart by a fork.

Then I grilled a couple sausages. Then I mixed up a pancake batter of sorts, heated a skillet, and poured everything in. Matt Matt calls it "toad in the hole" and compares it to a meat filled Yorkshire pudding. That baked in the oven for about 20 minutes while I prepared two toppings, gravy and a mix of peas and carrots.

The result was smashing - lovely fluffy batter, loads of meat, enough veggies to pretend it was a balanced meal. And at one point there were three stovetop burners and an oven all going at once so the kitchen got up to 70!

It's 15 outside now... Photo from the final assembly: clockwise from left: the finished Yorkshire-ish pudding full of meats, the pot of duck fat (which we'll save to fry some potatoes, maybe?), the veg, the gravy.

Karl Henning

With apologies to C.S. Lewis: Surprised by Peanut Butter. For unknown reasons, this is somehow striking me as the best PB I've ever tasted.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Karl Henning on February 08, 2024, 11:05:18 AMWith apologies to C.S. Lewis: Surprised by Peanut Butter. For unknown reasons, this is somehow striking me as the best PB I've ever tasted.
A no-stir peanut butter from Whole Foods (any added sugar or other things?)!

ReJo[y]ice!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Karl Henning on February 08, 2024, 11:05:18 AMWith apologies to C.S. Lewis: Surprised by Peanut Butter. For unknown reasons, this is somehow striking me as the best PB I've ever tasted.
Karl,

I suspect that its other 10% (Note:  It says that it's 90% peanuts on the jar and also contains palm oil and salt) is mostly palm oil.  I found this information:  https://www.marketplace.org/2017/11/17/everything-you-didnt-know-you-didnt-know-about-peanut-butter/

You can see the ingredients here:  https://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/product/organic-peanut%20butter,%20creamy%20-%20no%20sugar%20added,%2016%20oz-b074h61lyv

You might think that this is a good thing?  I don't know a ton about palm oil though I've seen some things online.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 08, 2024, 11:43:51 AMKarl,

I suspect that its other 10% (Note:  It says that it's 90% peanuts on the jar and also contains palm oil and salt) is mostly palm oil.  I found this information:  https://www.marketplace.org/2017/11/17/everything-you-didnt-know-you-didnt-know-about-peanut-butter/

You can see the ingredients here:  https://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/product/organic-peanut%20butter,%20creamy%20-%20no%20sugar%20added,%2016%20oz-b074h61lyv

You might think that this is a good thing?  I don't know a ton about palm oil though I've seen some things online.

PD
I have no Palm Oil info, PD, though my working hypothesis would be that it's harmless.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: Karl Henning on February 08, 2024, 11:49:58 AMI have no Palm Oil info, PD, though my working hypothesis would be that it's harmless.
The first article I found concluded with this summary:
Palm oil is 100% fat, half of which is saturated. It also contains vitamin E. Red palm oil contains antioxidants called carotenoids, which your body can convert into vitamin A. of which "Palm oil is 100% fat" is the least surprising observation ever.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

DavidW

Quote from: Karl Henning on February 08, 2024, 11:49:58 AMI have no Palm Oil info, PD, though my working hypothesis would be that it's harmless.

It is a saturated fat that raises ldl cholesterol and has found its way into a lot of junk food because it is not a trans fat.  It is found in so many products (and not just food) due to it being cheap that there has been massive deforestation to produce more palm oil.  Bad for the environment and at least not great for the body.

DavidW

Quote from: Karl Henning on February 08, 2024, 11:56:26 AMThe first article I found concluded with this summary:
Palm oil is 100% fat, half of which is saturated. It also contains vitamin E. Red palm oil contains antioxidants called carotenoids, which your body can convert into vitamin A. of which "Palm oil is 100% fat" is the least surprising observation ever.

lol guess I took too long to reply! :laugh:  :laugh:

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Karl Henning on February 08, 2024, 11:56:26 AMThe first article I found concluded with this summary:
I saw that about the vitamin A, but I've also seen articles about tropical forests being burnt down to plant palm oil trees...as in deforestation, etc.  :(  Again, I'm not an expert.  There are lots of factors to look at and think about.  Wish that I knew all of the answers.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Quote from: DavidW on February 08, 2024, 12:05:32 PMIt is a saturated fat that raises ldl cholesterol and has found its way into a lot of junk food because it is not a trans fat.  It is found in so many products (and not just food) due to it being cheap that there has been massive deforestation to produce more palm oil.  Bad for the environment and at least not great for the body.
Interesting, thanks!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

LKB

Skipped my normal steak & eggs last week so catching up this morning...

( Insert stock image of a steak & eggs breakfast here.  ;) )
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: LKB on February 09, 2024, 07:01:31 AMSkipped my normal steak & eggs last week so catching up this morning...

( Insert stock image of a steak & eggs breakfast here.  ;) )
Any fruit with that?  :)

Had half of a pumpernickel bagel (toasted) with cream cheese and a piece of lox...and a glass of OJ.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

LKB

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 09, 2024, 07:23:32 AMAny fruit with that?  :)

Had half of a pumpernickel bagel (toasted) with cream cheese and a piece of lox...and a glass of OJ.

PD

No fruit. Wheat toast, water and coffee are the peripherals.  8)
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: LKB on February 09, 2024, 07:37:59 AMNo fruit. Wheat toast, water and coffee are the peripherals.  8)
No?  :o Teasing you a bit here.  ;)  I'm trying to be good and often eat half a grapefruit (along with other "stuff") for breakfast.  They're really good this time of year.  Sometimes will also add half or more of a mandarin orange to a *leafy salad (along with some scallions and maybe some cheese.  Often just drizzle it with some balsamic vinegar and olive oil, s&p and toss).  Normally would make this if I wanted it to be part of my dinner though could do it for lunch with (for instance) some soup.

*Lately I've been adding some slices of radicchio and endive (though you can keep it much simpler).  Pre-washed greens can be a godsend if you're short of time and/or don't feel like washing heads of lettuce and waiting for them to dry, etc.  The ones in containers are packed with nitrogen which helps to preserve them until you open them.

Must admit:  I do enjoy my morning coffee, so can't fault you there!  ;D

PD

p.s. Any hash browns included?
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Karl Henning on February 08, 2024, 12:34:13 PMInteresting, thanks!
Do you like almond butter Karl?  I buy it every so often from a co-op (you put a container under the machine and hit start and it's freshly ground).  It keeps really well in the fridge and I don't need to stir any oils back into it.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 09, 2024, 10:49:56 AMDo you like almond butter Karl?  I buy it every so often from a co-op (you put a container under the machine and hit start and it's freshly ground).  It keeps really well in the fridge and I don't need to stir any oils back into it.

PD
I do, indeed. 
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Pohjolas Daughter

Recently made some wonderful mushroom soup!  It was a recipe that I found on Fine Cooking's (an American magazine which sadly is no longer in print) old website before it was taken down.  It's a "wild" mushroom soup with sherry and thyme.  I purchased several pints of mixed cultivated mushrooms and used some mushroom stock that I had on hand (rather than chicken or vegetable stock).  A bit of a pain removing the woody stem parts from my thyme cuttings, but well worth the effort.

Really pleased with how it came out.  Just had a bowlful of it for lunch.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter