What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longears

Hmmm--speaking of Pink Ladies, has anyone heard from Eric lately?   >:D

Lady Chatterley

Quote from: George on November 05, 2007, 05:47:41 PM
$6 US at dive bars. (Last I heard anyway)

Goodness,you couldn't pay me to drink cocktails under water!

George

Quote from: Muriel on November 05, 2007, 05:49:15 PM
Goodness,you couldn't pay me to drink cocktails under water!

Good you weren't born a mermaid.  ;D

uffeviking

One more about apples: Stemilt Orchards, one of our biggest growers here, only a mile from my house, started a new organic variety: 'Amphoris and I paid $1.23 for one average size apple. And then I picked up one pound of their Galas for $1.15! There must be lesson in there, some place.  ???

George

Quote from: uffeviking on November 05, 2007, 08:02:29 PM
One more about apples: Stemilt Orchards, one of our biggest growers here, only a mile from my house, started a new organic variety: 'Amphoris and I paid $1.23 for one average size apple. And then I picked up one pound of their Galas for $1.15! There must be lesson in there, some place.  ???

Yes, that eating foods that better support your health (organic) costs more. To me that seems logical. Plus, you're worth it.  :)

uffeviking

That was sweet, thank you George!  :-*

The Amphoris apple actually is the best I have eaten in a long time. Just the right sweetness, very juicy, and you don't have to use an axe to slice it; an ideal apple to eat out of hand.

But there is another reason I will buy it more often: Showing the orchardist that his effort is appreciated and may his organically productions bring him prosperity.

George

Quote from: uffeviking on November 06, 2007, 05:46:28 AM
That was sweet, thank you George!  :-*

The Amphoris apple actually is the best I have eaten in a long time. Just the right sweetness, very juicy, and you don't have to use an axe to slice it; an ideal apple to eat out of hand.

But there is another reason I will buy it more often: Showing the orchardist that his effort is appreciated and may his organically productions bring him prosperity.

Indeed. Organic helps the farmers, the workers on the farm, the environment - and the surrounding communities, as the pesticides get into the drinking water.  :-\  Woody Harrelson made a documentary "Go Further" about this subject, where he rode on a bicycle down the coast of California, stopping a colleges along the way, raising awareness about the importance of organic food. It's also a fun film. His friends are a bit wacky.  ;D   

Honeycrisp is my new favorite. They had them a month or so ago where I work for $3.95 (organic) I tried a sample and was hooked. Worth every penny.  :)

Kullervo

orbital

I like apples that are both green and red, juicy but not too much, hard but not like a stone, a little sour and sweet at the same time and preferebly oval in shape. I can never find them, or I don't know which type to go for. IT has to be like the Red Delicious type but green on the outside as well as red, and definitely greenish on the inside (rather than white ). They have that exact type in Turkey which only comes out in mid-September for about 15 days  :-\

BachQ

Whey protein isolate laced with L-glutamine .......

RebLem

Tonight, I made myself some spaghetti and ate it with a stirfry consisting of a package of stirfry vegetables, which was mostly broccoli florets, pea pods, and strings of summer squash. I actually started out with mushrooms and some anise seed in a hot wok with peanut oil, then added the vegies, then a bunch of shrimp, then some soy sauce and some cornstarch to thicken the soy sauce into a nice gravy.  Then, covered, and cooked a while, then added the spaghetti, and had it with some bread and butter. 

Yum!
"Don't drink and drive; you might spill it."--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father.

Lethevich

Curry - the one thing that me and chavs can agree on.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Mark

Quote from: Lethe on November 07, 2007, 07:29:39 AM
Curry - the one thing that me and chavs can agree on.

;D

I'm eating the inside of my mouth. I'm starving but there's no food to be had in the office where I'm working. Only an hour to go and I can grab some grub. :)

Lilas Pastia

Quote from: Mark on November 07, 2007, 07:34:21 AM
;D

I'm eating the inside of my mouth. I'm starving but there's no food to be had in the office where I'm working. Only an hour to go and I can grab some grub. :)

How does it taste?

I bought a pound of sesame seed covered roasted peanuts at the nut store - some kind of Middle Orient specialty. They languished in the cupboard for a while, so I turned them into home made peanut butter. Very good!

SonicMan46

Off on a short fall mountain weekend - colors are beautiful!  Staying @ the Crestwood Inn for a few days - just off the Blue Ridge Parkway near Blowing Rock (1 1/2 hours only from home) - just spectacular views of the mountains, including the famous Grandfather Mountain - last night dined @ at the Inn's restuarant, Dominic's Table, plus the late afternoon 'wine & cheese' complimentary offering @ the beautiful but intimate bar!

Tonight, dinner @ the Gamekeeper (third visit there over the recent years) - fabulous experience (CLICK the name for the menu offerings) - we both started out w/ the bibb salad (although the other appetizers sounded superb!) - I had the ostrich (locally grown in North Carolina even!) on a bed of delicious risotto/spinach + seasonal sautéed veggies + a couple of glasses of Chilean wines (started w/ Malbec & switch to Pinot Noir, latter excellent & my 'first' South American PN); wife had a bison rib eye w/ macaroni/cheese (mild blue); the latter is one of her 'growing up' comfort foods - she loved the main course.  We then shared a light key lime/wafer type dessert - hard to describe, but delicious (and did not feel guilty!) -  :D

Bogey

About all I can handle tonight:

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

George

This stuff is gonna get me through the holidays!

Lilas Pastia

Quote from: SonicMan on November 10, 2007, 05:55:46 PM
Off on a short fall mountain weekend - colors are beautiful!  Staying @ the Crestwood Inn for a few days - just off the Blue Ridge Parkway near Blowing Rock (1 1/2 hours only from home) - just spectacular views of the mountains, including the famous Grandfather Mountain - last night dined @ at the Inn's restuarant, Dominic's Table, plus the late afternoon 'wine & cheese' complimentary offering @ the beautiful but intimate bar!

Tonight, dinner @ the Gamekeeper (third visit there over the recent years) - fabulous experience (CLICK the name for the menu offerings) - we both started out w/ the bibb salad (although the other appetizers sounded superb!) - I had the ostrich (locally grown in North Carolina even!) on a bed of delicious risotto/spinach + seasonal sautéed veggies + a couple of glasses of Chilean wines (started w/ Malbec & switch to Pinot Noir, latter excellent & my 'first' South American PN); wife had a bison rib eye w/ macaroni/cheese (mild blue); the latter is one of her 'growing up' comfort foods - she loved the main course.  We then shared a light key lime/wafer type dessert - hard to describe, but delicious (and did not feel guilty!) -  :D

Aye-aye-aye!!!  :o

Had to be content with submarines tonight - eveything cut and cooked in de olde kitchen, but still, nothing to right home about - let alone the Gourmet Forum  :D

Lethevich

Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.