What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 09, 2017, 12:04:08 PM
Sounds great. I'll have to try that.

Sarge

Yeah, they're delicious. We've had this before, but when something is this good it's worth repeating. :)

Brian

Quote from: Brian on April 06, 2017, 09:10:59 AM
I in fact know one person who has been to 10 of the 50 and is a regular at No. 1!!
He was there again last night and toured the kitchen...

snyprrr

double dog with chili mustard and onions

NikF

A three egg omelette - Comté cheese, tomato and basil.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Sergeant Rock

Tonight Mrs. Rock and I shared kitchen duty. She made the first course: monkfish in a saffron/cream/wine sauce with a small side salad. I made the main course: entrecôte, asparagus and a potato salad (with calamata olives, green olives, capers, tomatoes, dried tomatoes, cucumber and onion in a lemon/vinegar/olive oil dressing). We drank a half bottle of Augé premier cru champagne with the fish and a 1990 Château Beychevelle with the steak.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Karl Henning

By request of the exquisite missus, I've made lasagne with fish for the first time.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

NikF

On my way back from the gym I picked up a 30cm/12" pizza which I'm now going to enjoy wth a pint of milk in the jazz thread. :)
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Sergeant Rock

We had a Simon and Garfunkel meal tonight: roast chicken stuffed with sage, rosemary and thyme  ;) 8)  Sides were potato salad and asparagus. We drank a treasured bottle of wine that we'd been saving for almost 20 years: Mouton Rothschild 1993 (the vintage with the controversial Balthus label). The wine was still vibrant with mint and blackberries and was a good match for the chicken.

Sarge

nodogen

A second bowl of salted caramel ice cream.
Come on, it's a small bowl.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 25, 2017, 12:44:05 PM
We had a Simon and Garfunkel meal tonight: roast chicken stuffed with sage, rosemary and thyme  ;) 8)  Sides were potato salad and asparagus. We drank a treasured bottle of wine that we'd been saving for almost 20 years: Mouton Rothschild 1993 (the vintage with the controversial Balthus label). The wine was still vibrant with mint and blackberries and was a good match for the chicken.

Hey Sarge - the meal sounds great and I remember reading about that wine label years ago - no longer have any Bordeaux in my now 'small' wine cellar.  Susan & I are still eating well, especially on our recent trips to Miami & Myrtle Beach (a LOT of oysters!), but just haven't been posting.

But grilling season has started, so need to look up my recipes (keep them in an iPad app called Paprika) - tried a new one the other day, Carne Asada (recipe below for those who may be interested) - marinaded the flank steak for 6 hrs in the frig - used the second method (circled in blue below) of grilling and came out just perfect - cut against the grain of course, the meat came out medium rare and was extremely tender for that cut - we ate w/ a few sides, but could be cut thinner and used to make fajitas, if desired.  Dave :)

P.S. cut down a flank steak to 1 lb for the 2 of us and reduced the ingredients proportionately.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 25, 2017, 12:44:05 PM
We had a Simon and Garfunkel meal tonight

"Save the Life of My Child!"
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 26, 2017, 09:47:37 AM
But grilling season has started, so need to look up my recipes (keep them in an iPad app called Paprika) - tried a new one the other day, Carne Asada (recipe below for those who may be interested) - marinaded the flank steak for 6 hrs in the frig

Hey, Dave. The marinade looks good. I'll have to try that  8)

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 26, 2017, 09:47:37 AM

Dave, we tried your Carne Asada marinade today. Came out well. A few differences: We had no orange juice so substituted fino sherry; beef filet rather than flank steak. Our jalapeno had a surprising amount of heat but not overwhelming. The marinade made a great sauce that I used on my potatoes. We drank a 1987 Mondavi Cab and had cheese (cheddar, blue, and goat) and strawberries for dessert.

Sarge

Mirror Image

On tonight's menu: grilled porterhouse steaks, roasted potatoes (w/ extra virgin olive oil, salt & pepper for a simple seasoning), green beans sautéed in soy sauce, and grilled corn on the cob. Simple dinner = delicious results every time.

NikF

I went to the local chippy and brought home a fish supper. I stood in the kitchen and ate it out of the paper. And I drank one pint of full fat milk.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 28, 2017, 12:23:39 PM
Dave, we tried your Carne Asada marinade today. Came out well. A few differences: We had no orange juice so substituted fino sherry; beef filet rather than flank steak. Our jalapeno had a surprising amount of heat but not overwhelming. The marinade made a great sauce that I used on my potatoes. We drank a 1987 Mondavi Cab and had cheese (cheddar, blue, and goat) and strawberries for dessert.

Hi Sarge - thanks for the update and glad you two liked the recipe - just last night @ dinner I was talking to Susan about other meats that might be used w/ that marinade - we're trying to pick 'red meats' w/ lower fat/cholesterol (a health concern for me), such as bison; most recently, we've tried local water buffalo from a farm in Stuart, VA (just 45 mins away) - no problem w/ the ground meat mixed w/ pork/lamb (for a meat sauce) but the 'steaks' are just so lean that grilled even medium rare is rather dry - SO, I have a 'NY strip' water buffalo in the freezer, and will marinade overnight (maybe even butterfly to get the liquid to the middle) and use the same grilling method - will report back - :)  Dave

nodogen

Lindt 90%.
Perfection in confection 😛

Sergeant Rock

On this long holiday weekend (Pentecost), Mrs. Rock assumed cooking duties, and excelled. Last night (Saturday) she made Vietnamese summer rolls with two fillings (chicken and shrimp). Tonight she made a lobster pasta with white asparagus tips and fresh basil. We drank Champagne, a premier cru blanc de blancs (100% chardonnay) from the boutique producer Gimonnet-Henry.

NikF

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 04, 2017, 11:33:49 AM
On this long holiday weekend (Pentecost), Mrs. Rock assumed cooking duties, and excelled. Last night (Saturday) she made Vietnamese summer rolls with two fillings (chicken and shrimp). Tonight she made a lobster pasta with white asparagus tips and fresh basil. We drank Champagne, a premier cru blanc de blancs (100% chardonnay) from the boutique producer Gimonnet-Henry.

Looks great as usual - but the 'lobster pasta with white asparagus tips and fresh basil' sounds especially cool. I hope Mrs. Rock and yourself enjoyed it all. :)

Today I went to the market as it was just opening. Since returning I've spent the morning preparing some of the 5kg/11lbs of chicken breast I bought into meals for the coming week. Nothing exotic, just simple high protein meals I can augment with a variety of carbs and salads on the day.

listener

Wild salmon, oven-baked in foil, with lots of lemon and mushrooms, some chives, ginger and sage, and potatoes roasted at the same time.    A blueberry muffin for dessert.
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."