What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on November 10, 2007, 08:42:13 PM
Had to be content with submarines tonight - eveything cut and cooked in de olde kitchen, but still, nothing to right home about - let alone the Gourmet Forum  :D

André - enjoyed that restaurant - reminded me of the Aux Anciens Canadiens restaurant in Quebec City that we ate at a few months ago on out visit to Quebec, i.e. the emphasis on 'wild game' animals; in fact the other night, the Gamekeeper had a 'Yak ribeye' on the menu, which I would have tried, but they had already ran out!  Last time we ate there, my wife had a 'wild boar chop' - she thought it was a little tough, but was still on the menu (at least that night) - the ostrich was delicious, but I'm a fan of that bird!

Just got home - so tonight 'eating in' also, but should be fine!  Dave  :D

Lilas Pastia

Today I prepared my bolognese sauce: chopped bacon, shallots, crumbled sausage meat and ground veal. Chopped carrot, celery. Cook until the meat is done, add a diced tomato or two, let reduce until the tomato water is gone. Douse with a glass of white wine, bring to a boil again, add spices, let reduce. Then add a glass of cream and let simmer for an hour. Lots of manipulation and constant attention, so meanwhile I get that botle of white wine down to a reasonable level :D.

Tonight's meal will feature on of my wife's belgian recipes. She has long stopped cooking. I took over and now cook like a native! We're having a rôti de porc à la moutarde: pork roast (rib eye) braised and served with a bucket of scrumptious mustard sauce. Lard the roast with garlic cloves, then sizzle it in a pan. In a large cocotte, put the roast on a bed of carrots, onions and celery (2 of each, cut in half or quarters). Add 1-2 cups of vegetable broth. Cook in the oven at 275-300 degrees until the roast easily separates from the rib rack (it must be extremely tender). Remove and keep warm. Boil the braisé juices down to about 1/2 a cup, add generous helpings of hot mustard (Maillé is excellent) - say, at least  1/4 of a cup. Then add a cup of cooking cream (15%). Bring to a gentle boil, put the roast back and let it simmer in it for about 15 minutes. Serve with a purée of mashed potatoes and parsley roots, and a green salad. Dried herbs that I use in varying combinations (but lightly): marjoram, sage, rosemary and savory.

Anne

Lilas Pastia:
"She (wife) has long stopped cooking."

Good for her.  I have too.

Lilas Pastia

I think women in a kitchen are more efficient, with an eye on the practical side. Men like to indulge in culinary fantasies. They also tend do be messy :D

Anne

My father-in-law cooked in an upscale restaurant until WWII needed him.  He would make wonderful food at home.  You should have been able to try his turkey stuffing recipe.  He also came up with putting a little bit of horseradish in Cole slaw to perk it up.

My husband cooked.  He was so much more creative than I was and his specialty was pizza.

Now my son cooks but he loves the gourmet cooking and gets his recipes from epicurious.com.  There is a recipe there for pulled pork that is great.  When people hear he is going to cook a meal, they all show up.  LOL  And he just loves it.  One more thing - he can use more cooking utensils than anyone I have ever seen.  It is truly mind-boggling!  LOL

I agree with your remarks on differences between men's and women's cooking.

toledobass

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on November 11, 2007, 01:30:19 PM
Today I prepared my bolognese sauce: chopped bacon, shallots, crumbled sausage meat and ground veal. Chopped carrot, celery. Cook until the meat is done, add a diced tomato or two, let reduce until the tomato water is gone. Douse with a glass of white wine, bring to a boil again, add spices, let reduce. Then add a glass of cream and let simmer for an hour. Lots of manipulation and constant attention, so meanwhile I get that botle of white wine down to a reasonable level :D.

Tonight's meal will feature on of my wife's belgian recipes. She has long stopped cooking. I took over and now cook like a native! We're having a rôti de porc à la moutarde: pork roast (rib eye) braised and served with a bucket of scrumptious mustard sauce. Lard the roast with garlic cloves, then sizzle it in a pan. In a large cocotte, put the roast on a bed of carrots, onions and celery (2 of each, cut in half or quarters). Add 1-2 cups of vegetable broth. Cook in the oven at 275-300 degrees until the roast easily separates from the rib rack (it must be extremely tender). Remove and keep warm. Boil the braisé juices down to about 1/2 a cup, add generous helpings of hot mustard (Maillé is excellent) - say, at least  1/4 of a cup. Then add a cup of cooking cream (15%). Bring to a gentle boil, put the roast back and let it simmer in it for about 15 minutes. Serve with a purée of mashed potatoes and parsley roots, and a green salad. Dried herbs that I use in varying combinations (but lightly): marjoram, sage, rosemary and savory.

Both preperations sound delicious and I have no doubt well worth the time and effort that has to go into them.

Allan

toledobass

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on November 12, 2007, 09:00:56 AM
I think women in a kitchen are more efficient, with an eye on the practical side. Men like to indulge in culinary fantasies. They also tend do be messy :D

I am quite clean in the kitchen,  but I'm also very well organized.  Things get really messy, really quick if you're midway thorough a preperation and aren't organized. 

A London times article a while back tried to make a theory of the difference between men and women cooking.  You can check it out here:

Sex on a Plate

Allan

Lilas Pastia

Very interesting :D. as are the comments that follow, of which this one is the cherry topping the sundae:
QuoteIt's easy to tell - all the desserts with whipped cream, are made by women. Men's puds are all heavy and sticky. Real men don't make syllabub. They make steamed treacle pudding.

The difference is that women want a dessert that is so light they can fool themselves it's not fattening (despite the egg yolks and whipped cream, plus sugar and alcohol) whereas men want a pud to fill them up.

Savoury dishes cooked by women will either be artery-crunching loaded down with half a pound of butter, or else have zero calories in them. Depends if they're premenstrual while they're cooking!

Plus if you look into the kitchen, you can tell if the chef is female - she'll have washed up as she goes along. The male chef will leave a bomb site or have an army of minions to clear up.

Finally, the male chef will expect oodles of praise, while the female chef gave up expecting that years ago.(She'll also be supervising homework, doing the ironing, and chatting on her mobile while she cooks.)

Jane, London, UK

Personally I am extremely practical. I will scour the back of the fridge to recycle any leftovers, whereas my wilfe will open up the fridge, close it and microwave a pizza :P.

I do tend to be messy, and I do wait eagerly for the approving nod ;D.

Anne

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on November 12, 2007, 06:38:59 PM

Personally I am extremely practical. I will scour the back of the fridge to recycle any leftovers, whereas my wilfe will open up the fridge, close it and microwave a pizza :P.

I do tend to be messy, and I do wait eagerly for the approving nod ;D.

You can't believe how I am laughing at your post.  It describes my husband and myself so perfectly.

Lethevich

What I will be eating, once I cook it: Thai noodle salad. This is part of my really lame attempts to impress my significant other, who was taught cooking by their very skilled mother, as well as a friend of the family who was a professional chef. I have some kind of weird inferiority complex in the kitchen and am on a crusade to prove that I am not completely inept :P

Thanks to Anne for the link - I've used a few other sites before, but this one seems very good, particularly for the reviews of each recipe.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

longears

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on November 12, 2007, 09:00:56 AM
My wife's the messy one.  I clean as I go.  Nothing takes the afterglow off a good meal quite like facing a sink full of dirty pots and pans.

Bogey

Quote from: longears on November 13, 2007, 04:53:46 AM
My wife's the messy one.  I clean as I go.  Nothing takes the afterglow off a good meal quite like facing a sink full of dirty pots and pans.

Yup.  I clean as I go, or am right behind my wife as she goes.  Not unusual for me to be scrubbing pots and pans in the kitchen while Christmas dinner desert is being served (no one seems to miss me  ;D), beause I do not want to be up until 2 a.m. cleaning after a full day of Christmas cheer.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

toledobass

I stopped at the asian grocer this weekend and picked up some nasty bits.   Cooked some tripe, as well as some pig heart and kidney.  Not sure if anyone actually wants to see photos of this,  but if you do, here you go:

offal slide show

Allan

Lady Chatterley

Quote from: Bogey on November 13, 2007, 04:30:50 PM
Yup.  I clean as I go, or am right behind my wife as she goes.  Not unusual for me to be scrubbing pots and pans in the kitchen while Christmas dinner desert is being served (no one seems to miss me  ;D), beause I do not want to be up until 2 a.m. cleaning after a full day of Christmas cheer.

I always leave the dishes in the sink overnight and do them in the morning while I wait for the kettle to boil.
My husband very rarely cooks,but if he does,it's something Asian.I do try to keep up with the dishes during the day but somehow every glass ,plate and spoon is lined up by the sink to be washed the second one's back is turned.

Bogey

Quote from: Muriel on November 14, 2007, 09:04:57 AM
I always leave the dishes in the sink overnight and do them in the morning while I wait for the kettle to boil.
My husband very rarely cooks,but if he does,it's something Asian.I do try to keep up with the dishes during the day but somehow every glass ,plate and spoon is lined up by the sink to be washed the second one's back is turned.

Add to this that our nice china and crystal is not dish washer safe and everything needs to be hand dried....loads of fun.  But I do enjoy serving friends a nice dinner and they are always thankful.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Lady Chatterley

I don't have "nice" dishes,I get by with my eclectic 2nd hand store stuff and I will put as much in the dishwasher as possible,the only thing I won't stick in there are my knives which I guard like precious jewels.

Bogey

Quote from: Muriel on November 14, 2007, 03:27:02 PM
I don't have "nice" dishes,I get by with my eclectic 2nd hand store stuff and I will put as much in the dishwasher as possible,the only thing I won't stick in there are my knives which I guard like precious jewels.

Yup...we use the set once a year Muriel.   They were my mother-in-laws china she got for wedding presents.  (We asked for a down comforter).  The other stuff we could care less if it were sand blasted each night.  ;)

Lady Chatterley

Quote from: Bogey on November 14, 2007, 03:32:32 PM
Yup...we use the set once a year Muriel.   They were my mother-in-laws china she got for wedding presents.  (We asked for a down comforter).  The other stuff we could care less if it were sand blasted each night.  ;)

Too right Bill,sandblasting is required when we have had Hollandaise on the salmon.

Bogey

Quote from: Muriel on November 14, 2007, 04:32:15 PM
Too right Bill,sandblasting is required when we have had Hollandaise on the salmon.
:D

Tonight:

Some parmesan chicken and on the side spaghetti stir fried with lots of garlic and butter.  Not the most colorful meal, but I'm pleased with the taste results.

Don

As can be seen from the avatar, my alien dinner didn't go down too well.