What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: listener on July 02, 2017, 02:14:57 PM
Wild salmon, oven-baked in foil, with lots of lemon and mushrooms, some chives, ginger and sage, and potatoes roasted at the same time.    A blueberry muffin for dessert.

Sounds good. I'm especially fond of the fish and ginger combination.

Tonight Mrs. Rock invented a "Mexican" dish: chicken in a tomato/jalapeno sauce. Served with baked pumpkin (with sea salt and garlic) and corn on the cob. Drank a chilled rosé (merlot and syrah) from the French producer Domaine Lalande (Languedoc-Roussillon).

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

bwv 1080

smoked a pork shoulder on apple wood for the 4th

NikF

"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

NikF

Quote from: α | ì Æ ñ on July 09, 2017, 12:11:36 AM
I'm better now, pizza was decent. And the delivery girl....  :-* :-*

(she predictably reminded me of a girl that I liked that I played bass in a backing band with once, too attractive to be a delivery girl  :o :o )

:o "too attractive to be a delivery girl" :o

I'm reporting you to the Tumblrinas.  >:(

Nah, I 'aint no stoolie, see?  8)

"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

bwv 1080

Do you live in a taco or burrito city?

And your life would be better in one of these places:

Spineur

Restaurant per capita: americans are small time players:

Bordeaux: 1/285
Lyon: 1/295
Paris: 1/404

Now you know what is the main motivation to come to France !

Brian

That seems a dubious criterion...Las Cruces, Los Angeles, and the TX Rio Grande valley would probably top any serious effort to produce such a ranking...

bwv 1080

Quote from: Spineur on July 12, 2017, 10:32:54 AM
Restaurant per capita: americans are small time players:

Bordeaux: 1/285
Lyon: 1/295
Paris: 1/404

Now you know what is the main motivation to come to France !

how many Mexican restaurants are in Bordeaux?

Brian

Quote from: bwv 1080 on July 12, 2017, 10:38:12 AM
how many Mexican restaurants are in Bordeaux?
Oooh! One of my favorite things to do is to look at pictures of terrible, terrible European versions of Mexican food.

There are three. Árbol is a fast food place, Fresh Burritos Bordeaux is too, and Saveur Latine is a little nicer. Let's look at pictures!

Árbol puts guac on all its tacos, and also a lot of grease.

Fresh Burritos Bordeaux looks okay but I don't understand this potato side dish.

Saveur Latine is clearly the worst one, they put giant sticks on their tacos and serve platters of weird burned shit and pita quesadillas served on salad.

bwv 1080

Quote from: Brian on July 12, 2017, 10:46:11 AM
Oooh! One of my favorite things to do is to look at pictures of terrible, terrible European versions of Mexican food.

There are three. Árbol is a fast food place, Fresh Burritos Bordeaux is too, and Saveur Latine is a little nicer. Let's look at pictures!

Árbol puts guac on all its tacos, and also a lot of grease.

Fresh Burritos Bordeaux looks okay but I don't understand this potato side dish.

Saveur Latine is clearly the worst one, they put giant sticks on their tacos and serve platters of weird burned shit and pita quesadillas served on salad.

Ha, what the hell is that drink with colored marshmallows?

Spineur

Just made some fig jam with honey & cardamon & lemon.  The cardamon comes from my last trip to Cochin (India) and was freshly ground using spinning spineur special grinder.

I had to adjust the sugar and the cardamon while cooking.  Taste is super !

Earlier this month, I did the more exotic Rhubarb&Banana and lemon.  Nice too.

To have the right consistency, I add some agar-agar for additional pectin which makes the natural gel with the sugar.

Omicron9

Peanut butter-filled M&Ms.  But it's not an addiction.  I can quit any time I want. 

I just don't want to.
"Signature-line free since 2017!"

nodogen

Quote from: Omicron9 on August 23, 2017, 08:20:17 AM
Peanut butter-filled M&Ms.  But it's not an addiction.  I can quit any time I want. 

I just don't want to.

I could have posted that. The large box (365g) - doesn't last a day. 🐷

Omicron9

Quote from: nodogen on August 23, 2017, 08:27:35 AM
I could have posted that. The large box (365g) - doesn't last a day. 🐷

Yep.

zamyrabyrd

I have a question. Does any of this fare in the top rated restaurants in Britain remotely resemble food or something you would actually want to eat?
Haute cuisine just gets weirder and weirder.
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/TravelersChoice-Restaurants-cFineDining-g186216-a_Mode.expanded

ZB, a lucky descendant of generous Italian relatives
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one."

― Charles MacKay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

Omicron9

Well it's not peanut butter M&Ms if that's what you're thinking.  <avoiding eye contact>

Sergeant Rock

It's mussel season! Last night we had linguine and mussels in a cream sauce with dried tomatoes, chili peppers and parsley. We drank a 2016 Weissburgunder (pinot blanc) Spätlese trocken from the Westhofener vintner Hirsch-Stabel.

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

We had fried Atlantic Wolffish marinated in sambal oelek, garlic, ginger and lime juice. Served with baked pumpkin and potatoes with fresh rosemary, green beans. Drank champagne.

Sarge

Spineur

You did it

Cooking chicken stirfry for four people right now