What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhodges

The photos actually look pretty good.  So how do you serve this, e.g., with melon?  Or is there something else that complements the flavor better? 

--Bruce

Scriptavolant

Quote from: Saul on November 29, 2007, 10:29:32 AM
How did your co-workers respond?

As I've said it's very soft in taste, probably the evil essence of garlic tends to be absorbed by the oil, not compromising your breath at all.

bhodges

Quote from: Scriptavolant on November 29, 2007, 12:14:26 PM
As I've said it's very soft in taste, probably the evil essence of garlic tends to be absorbed by the oil, not compromising your breath at all.

It looks absolutely delicious.  I think garlic is one of the most heavenly things on earth.  0:)

--Bruce

toledobass

Quote from: bhodges on November 29, 2007, 12:10:11 PM
The photos actually look pretty good.  So how do you serve this, e.g., with melon?  Or is there something else that complements the flavor better? 

--Bruce

Melon would work great Bruce,  that's classic.  I've just been munching on it by itself in it's pure form and also with some baguette just to get an idea of the taste.  My main idea is to be able to offer folks that come over a charcuterie plate of different dry cured meats (also what a great snack for after concerts or rehearsals with a glass of wine).  It'd be great on pizza or pasta (how bout some sort of duck egg carbonara!!!) the possibilities seem limitless.

Allan

SonicMan46

Quote from: toledobass on November 29, 2007, 12:02:59 PM
Here are the pics.  This was roughly a 2 week process.  Some of the color looks horrible in these shots and none of the good detail comes through.  It's really damn good though and the easiest thing in the world to do.

Allan - looks like my 'seared' rare tuna! Wife & I love duck, so despite your 'color' complaints, I'm sure we would have loved the taste of that meat -  :D

Scriptavolant

Quote from: bhodges on November 29, 2007, 12:20:05 PM
I think garlic is one of the most heavenly things on earth.  0:)

I agree, but there's one thing I like even more: onions, especially when red and raw. On pizza or fried.  0:)

George

Grilled Cheese (cheddar)

with

Garlic French Fries

SonicMan46

My treadmill broke the other day (after 9 yrs - $500 estimate to fix it!); so, just bought a new one @ Sears - down the road is one of our favorite oriental restaurants - I had sushi w/ a couple of Kirin beers:  started w/ a wonderful seaweed salad - tuna, yellowtail, & smoked salmon sushi + spicy tuna, eel, & shrimp tempura rolls - delicious!  :P

uffeviking

SonicMan: I remember you as the admirer of Northwest wines. The State of Washington finished this year's grape harvest, a new record: 123,000 tons! The makings for quite a number of bottles to enjoy!  ;D

George

A Quart of organic Egg Nog for lunch.

Two slices of white pizza for dinner with a Sprite Zero.  8)

orbital

Quote from: George on November 30, 2007, 09:08:21 PM
Sprite Zero.  8)
Sprite Zero is possibly the only diet drink that tastes better than its regular. Coke Zero is pretty close to its original too.

----
I've had lots of vodka (citrus martinis w/citron vodka, fresh lemon juice, and cointreau) and french fries this evening. A total calorie/fat abstinence is called for the rest of the weekend  $:)

SonicMan46

Quote from: uffeviking on November 30, 2007, 06:57:34 PM
SonicMan: I remember you as the admirer of Northwest wines. The State of Washington finished this year's grape harvest, a new record: 123,000 tons! The makings for quite a number of bottles to enjoy!  ;D

Lis - thanks for the good news!  :D  I'm indeed an avid consumer of Washington State wines, unfortunately, not many of the small producers in the eastern part of the state come to my area; currently in my cellar, I have mostly the two BIG producers, i.e. Columbia Crest & Ch. Ste. Michelle, along w/ some Hogue & Gordon Brothers - I was having some Columbia Crest Reserve Syrah the other night - excellent; and I really enjoy the vineyard selections from Ch. SM, such as Indian Wells - will certainly keep a 'lookout' for the '07s!   :) Dave

George

Quote from: orbital on November 30, 2007, 10:40:04 PM
Sprite Zero is possibly the only diet drink that tastes better than its regular.

Yes, though I'd love to see a company make a natural version with real fruit juices.

Lilas Pastia

Marinating pork slices that I'll attempt to cook greek-style. The marinade is made of plain yogurt, chopped green onions, garlic, ordinary cucumber dressing, steak spices, ground coriander seeds and oregano.

I htink the best method is to sear the meat in small quantities ?

Peregrine

Quote from: bhodges on November 29, 2007, 12:20:05 PM
I think garlic is one of the most heavenly things on earth.  0:)

--Bruce

Definitely, totally agree
:)

Yes, we have no bananas

SonicMan46

Eating in tonight - LOML made a superb dinner (pic below) - main course a sauteed crab combo w/ mushrooms, red peppers, spices, et al + basamti rice w/ other whole grains & some plain green beans!  Of course w/ crab, a nice 'light' chardonnay - Casa Laposolle from Chile - Cuvee Alexandre, the '05 vintage (not the one shown - label the same except for the year) - excellent choice w/ the crab - delicious!  :D

Music for the dinner is a start of my 'Holiday Season' collection - started out w/ John Boswell - these are a lot of the usual standards but played mainly on the piano w/ wonderful arrangements - take a chance! CLICK on the image for some listingns & comments!

Festival of the Heart

toledobass

Some friends of mine are preparing a Rijsttafel tomorrow evening.  I'm excited to try this all of the stuff.

Allan

uffeviking

Wish I would be invited also!

Years ago we used to have a restaurant chain here, forgot the name but it was something: 'Rijsttafel' and we enjoyed a great variety of delicious dishes there. Evidently their kind of healthy and attractive food was cancelled out by greasy hamburgers and greasier french fry garbage.  :'(

Saul