What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NikF

Quote from: ritter on March 09, 2018, 12:19:00 PM
For a moment, I thought you were having this  ;):

I always have some when in Scotland (which is relatively often).

Good evening, NikF!

Good evening to you too, oor Ritter!

Yeah, I know of Mackie's ice cream - it's certainly good stuff. But I don't imbibe in it myself. At this time of night I always have 30g of protein via cottage cheese.
Scotland, eh? Cool. If you ever get lost in Scotland send me a PM and I'll help you out/buy you a beer.  8)

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 09, 2018, 12:28:27 PM
We love cottage cheese. I take mine with a dollop of strawberry preserves. Mrs. Rock consumes hers straight  ;D

Sarge

Sarge, I can only surmise that much like myself, Mrs. Rock is naturally sweet enough without needing strawberry preserves.  ;D
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

ritter

Quote from: NikF on March 09, 2018, 12:35:28 PM
Good evening to you too, oor Ritter!
Scotland, eh? Cool. If you ever get lost in Scotland send me a PM and I'll help you out/buy you a beer.  8)
Thanks! I'm usually up North (Inverness), where my partner's from. I'll give you a holler next time we're there to visit his parents.

Cheers,

NikF

Quote from: ritter on March 09, 2018, 12:42:45 PM
Thanks! I'm usually up North (Inverness), where my partner's from. I'll give you a holler next time we're there to visit his parents.

Cheers,

When I'm in Scotland nowadays it's usually Edinburgh, but sure, hit me up anyway.  :)
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

XB-70 Valkyrie

Irish stew
Irish soda bread (two types) with Irish Kerrygold butter

courtesy of my non-Irish wife, who is a fantastic cook and nailed these recipes on the first try (many years ago)

Also, a Guinness! I am of Irish ancestry on both my mother's and father's side, and my great-grandfather worked for Guinness (Dublin) much of his life. We visited there last year, took the Guinness Storehouse tour, learned the proper method for pouring a pint, and received certificates attesting to this fact!  :laugh:
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

NikF

For the moment I'm not as ambulatory as usual and so this will be one of a series of snacks.

david johnson

Fried chicken and home-made biscuits, courtesy of my lovely babe.  Life is good  :)

LKB

Three English muffins, straight out of the bag, a frequent dinner. Washed down with Glaceau vitamin water, my go-to beverage.

*burp*,

LKB
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Mirror Image

Homemade pasta salad with some Ritz crackers.

Sergeant Rock

Last night for dinner: I made chili con carne (the Hairy Biker's recipe) and steamed potatoes and salad. Drank a local German red (Sankt Laurent from Weingut Steinmühle).

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

NikF

I've some precooked egg noodles, chicken, mushrooms, onions, and garlic. And a frying pan. There's little else, but I'll be home on Wednesday night/Thursday morning and can get back to eating better then.

Sergeant Rock

Last night's dinner: Swordfish steak in a garam masala and yogurt sauce, garnished with cilantro; cabbage and tomatoes; rice with saffron.

Sarge

Ken B

Roasting some pork with parsnips. This week has seen a lot of Indian food, including Goan curried black eyed peas.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Ken B on March 30, 2018, 11:12:24 AM
Roasting some pork with parsnips.

That's what we had for dinner tonight: roast pork in a dark beer sauce. Not a traditional Good Friday meal but we're heathens  ;)

Sarge

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 30, 2018, 07:21:00 AM
Last night's dinner: Swordfish steak in a garam masala and yogurt sauce, garnished with cilantro; cabbage and tomatoes; rice with saffron.
photos.imageevent.com/sgtrock/foodandwine/swordfishgarammasala.jpg[/img]

Sarge

Envy on many levels! But specifically on the herbs: In the backwater I live in, it's just about impossible to find cilantro!

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on March 31, 2018, 01:15:15 AMIn the backwater I live in, it's just about impossible to find cilantro!

There are two Asian shops in Worms that stock Cilantro but parking is a problem, plus they are often sold out by the weekend. But we lucked out and found it, surprisingly, at Kaufland. That inspired Mrs. Rock to cook the swordfish in a new way. It was really good.

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

We ate North American tonight  ;) Mrs. Rock found a pulled pork recipe online which she had to try. It was sensational. The pork was marinated overnight in allspice, oregano, cumin, crushed garlic, tomato paste, chipotle paste, dried chipotle, paprika and the juice of two oranges. It was slow cooked in the marinade for five hours until the meat was literally falling apart. We had her great coleslaw (with onion, caraway seeds, bacon and vinaigrette) and my potato and cucumber salad. I drank a Köstritzer Schwarzbier and Mrs. Rock a South African pinotage. That was followed by a liquid dessert: Monopole Heidsieck Blue Top Brut Champagne. We are happy, and floating  8)

Sarge

Brian

Got bolognese sauce bubbling in a Dutch oven for 2 hours right now. Making lasagna tonight!

NikF

It doesn't look like much.

Coming from a long line of peasants, this is real peasant fare. Here's the simple way it winds along that humble path.
Today is my first day back at the gym after more than one month. That's the longest I've gone without training  since I was 17 or 18. So post workout out I'll be hungrier than usual. But I don't like having to wait while the food is cooking, which makes this ideal.

The bag contains 250g (half a pound?) of 'beef ham'. That's just very thin slices of topside beef. Maybe aka minute or sandwich steak? It's usually lean enough, but I trim it in any case. Salt and pepper. It gets browned in a shallow pan with about one teaspoon of butter.

Potatoes - that's going to be about 500g (just over one pound) of potatoes. The variety is 'Maris Piper'. I once knew an American model (;)) who while I was cooking dinner for told me that they resemble 'Russet' potatoes. Unfortunately (although completely unlike the American model ;)) they don't tend to hold their shape very long. But that's ideal for this use.

Anyway, the potatoes are peeled to the memory of my auld granny berating me "Ach, yir peelin awa too much o' the tatties!" They're sliced to about one cm and added to the pan.
Along comes the mushrooms and onions. From the freezer an ice cube of stock dissolved in warm water.
A lid/tinfoil or aluminium foil cover gets placed over the top and the heat reduced to the minimum. That's it. I'm leaving and when I return I'll give it a stir just once, cover it again and then 15 or 20 minutes later feed my face. And I'll have it with one pint of full fat milk.

If money is tight you can pad it out with pasta. True exotica? - add a carrot. And for an experience liable to incapacitate via a nervous breakdown inducing taste sensation, a teaspoon of mustard.

Fwiw if I eyeball that it's about 1000 calories. My TDEE is (depending on the formula used) between 2400 and 2700 a day. But I don't look at it that way. I've enough discipline so that the weekly total is more important.

LKB

Breakfast today was four scrambled eggs with wheat toast and coffee.

Dinner last night was gratifying: grilled salmon, mashed potatoes and asparagus.

I found a program which provides temporary housing and free meals for up to ninety days, along with rental assistance. So l have a roof over my head again and regular food.

I've also taken the steps needed to resume working in the career l abandoned last year. Once the state of California re-activates my license, which should happen by early next week, I'll be legally employable again. Two managers told me a while back to let them know when l was legal & ready to work, so hopefully they'll have something to offer.

So things are looking up, and at some point in the near future l should no longer be unemployed or homeless.

:-\,

LKB
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...