What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bwv 1080

Fathers day dinner last Sunday was Rabbit Pibil @ https://www.picos.net/

Draško

A few of my Swedish friends staying in Serbia threw a sort of traditional Swedish midsummer dinner last night. So we had pickled herring (various varieties), smoked salmon and kalles kaviar with boiled young potatoes, spring onions and cream and Swedish rye crispbread.
But I thought we should give it a slight Mediterranean slant so we added some of my favorite Serbian white cheese from Sjenica region (threw shade on rather bland cream), some Kalamata dried olives and some Iranian fresh dates for dessert.

We drank a very fine, almost liqueur like, Plomari Ouzo from Lesbos. And a bit stronger Strumicka Mastika from Makedonija (or Northern Makedonija of recent).

vandermolen

Quote from: LKB on May 04, 2018, 09:25:10 AM
Breakfast today was four scrambled eggs with wheat toast and coffee.

Dinner last night was gratifying: grilled salmon, mashed potatoes and asparagus.

I found a program which provides temporary housing and free meals for up to ninety days, along with rental assistance. So l have a roof over my head again and regular food.

I've also taken the steps needed to resume working in the career l abandoned last year. Once the state of California re-activates my license, which should happen by early next week, I'll be legally employable again. Two managers told me a while back to let them know when l was legal & ready to work, so hopefully they'll have something to offer.

So things are looking up, and at some point in the near future l should no longer be unemployed or homeless.

:-\,

LKB

Very pleased to hear this and belatedly hoping that things continue to look up for you.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

NikF

A sirloin steak - untrimmed it started at just under 200g - with fried onions, mushrooms and chips. And one pint of full fat milk.
The steak was medium rare.

e: it doubled as a post workout meal and the fairly recent change to my routine has me weighing about 155 lbs, although how I feel and the way my clothes fit are of more importance than the numbers.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Sergeant Rock

We had tuna steaks tonight, the recipe featured in the Hairy Biker's Sardinian episode: the tuna fried with olive oil, garlic and bay leaves then finished in a tomato sauce with white wine: simple but delicious. Served with noodles and green beans with shallots. Drank a locally produced Chardonnay.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: NikF on June 29, 2018, 12:10:07 PM
A sirloin steak - untrimmed it started at just under 200g - with fried onions, mushrooms and chips. And one pint of full fat milk.
The steak was medium rare.

I approve that meal...well, everything but the milk  ;D ;)

Sarge

Josquin13

Last night (& tonight), I had wild Scottish salmon (a thicker middle section cut--no toxic tail for me), with Cherchie's Champagne mustard spread over the top of the filet (with a butter knife), and then sprinkled liberally with Cherchie's Lemon Dill seasoning.   Plus, a squeeze of half a lemon after that.  I then cook it for about 20 minutes in the oven (at 375 or 380 degrees), and serve it over a mound of homemade garlic mashed potatoes.  (The Salmon must be placed over the potatoes on the plate.)  On the side, I had spinach that was sauteed in garlic and avocado oil.  (Sometimes peas, corn/corn on the cob, or asparagus are good options too.)  It's currently one of my favorite dishes, and relatively easy to prepare & clean up.

https://www.amazon.com/Cherchies-Champagne-Brand-Mustard-Ounce/dp/B0001P29QW/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1530323340&sr=8-1&keywords=cherchy%27s+mustard

https://www.amazon.com/Cherchies-Lemn-Dill-Seasoning/dp/B07CV48YY4/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1530323451&sr=8-1&keywords=cherchies+lemon+dill+seasoning

Christo

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

NikF

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 29, 2018, 12:47:35 PM
We had tuna steaks tonight, the recipe featured in the Hairy Biker's Sardinian episode: the tuna fried with olive oil, garlic and bay leaves then finished in a tomato sauce with white wine: simple but delicious. Served with noodles and green beans with shallots. Drank a locally produced Chardonnay.

Sarge

Sounds fine indeed, Sarge. I'm sure Mrs. Rock and yourself enjoyed it.  :)

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 29, 2018, 12:48:53 PM
I approve that meal...well, everything but the milk  ;D ;)

Sarge

Yeah, I know you're not a fan of milk for adults. ;D But it's helped keep my strength up this long and so I'm not about to quit it anytime soon.  8) :laugh:
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

listener

from Leonard Slatkin's journal  http://www.leonardslatkin.com/journal/

Because I am still in recovery mode, it is not possible to help with all the components of the move-in process. I can lift some things, but nothing too heavy. Mostly I watch the man who is responsible for setting up the media room. But I have been able to cook and especially barbeque. The challenge is coming up with tasty foods that are low in sugar, sodium, fat and starch. Oven-baked water is delicious.
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: listener on July 09, 2018, 07:29:58 PMThe challenge is coming up with tasty foods that are low in sugar, sodium, fat and starch. Oven-baked water is delicious.

;D :D ;D

TD: Tonight's dinner: Mrs. Rock's paella with swordfish, scallops, prawns and chorizo

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

We've actually been eating since last I posted on this thread although nothing to write home or the forum about. But tonight deserves to be remembered. Mrs. Rock made lobster tails and squid (tentacles excised and discarded) sautéed in olive oil, red chili peppers, fresh rosemary, garlic and sea salt. Quite delicious. I made a potato, egg and cucumber salad with a mayonnaise/yoghurt/mustard dressing. We drank champagne.

Sarge

NikF

That all sounds really great as usual, Sarge.  8) :)

Sydney Nova Scotia

Erinmore Flake

As Zappa Said Tabaco is a Vegetable  ;D
Sydney is my name and games is my game

SurprisedByBeauty

Standouts as of late:

A Red Beet Marsala... onions, a couple potaters, three large red beets, bit of crushed garlic -- fried in oil & ghee. Deglazed with a bit of verjus. Added spices (mixed them myself) and yoghurt and voila. Rice very much optional and not in the least necessary.

Also:

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on September 10, 2018, 08:06:25 AM
Standouts as of late:

A Red Beet Marsala... onions, a couple potaters, three large red beets, bit of crushed garlic -- fried in oil & ghee. Deglazed with a bit of verjus. Added spices (mixed them myself) and yoghurt and voila. Rice very much optional and not in the least necessary.

Also:

Also, what?  :)

You call it Marsala but don't mention the wine in the recipe. Did you substitute the verjus for the marsala? Asking because we're keen to try this (Mrs. Rock loves beets).

Sarge

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on September 10, 2018, 12:57:08 PM
Also, what?  :)

You call it Marsala but don't mention the wine in the recipe. Did you substitute the verjus for the marsala? Asking because we're keen to try this (Mrs. Rock loves beets).

Sarge

Nahr, it's because I'm a git and misspelled "Masala".  ;D

My Masala mix is pretty standard with a few additions: Cloves (little), cardamom (little), pepper (black, fresh ground instead of white, pre-ground), cumin (good amount), cinnamon (little) coriander seeds (for the basics; leaving out mace [Muskatbluete] and bay leaves [Lorbeerblatt] which are sometimes said to be part of it -- but adding cinnamon flowers. Two green chillies. Maybe a bit of lemon peel. Put it in a coffee mixer (which I never use for coffee, anyway) for a quick, neat blend. I cut the veggies into cubes; roughly 1cm -- but varying strongly in thickness/height to get a bit of variety in the texture with some being rather soft; others more al dente.

For a bit of a 'whetter' recipe (rather than just adding more joghurt), I think that a few tomatoes -- put in early in this process -- might be nice.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on September 10, 2018, 01:15:07 PM
Nahr, it's because I'm a git and misspelled "Masala".  ;D

My Masala mix is pretty standard with a few additions: Cloves (little), cardamom (little), pepper (black, fresh ground instead of white, pre-ground), cumin (good amount), cinnamon (little) coriander seeds (for the basics; leaving out mace [Muskatbluete] and bay leaves [Lorbeerblatt] which are sometimes said to be part of it -- but adding cinnamon flowers. Two green chillies. Maybe a bit of lemon peel. Put it in a coffee mixer (which I never use for coffee, anyway) for a quick, neat blend. I cut the veggies into cubes; roughly 1cm -- but varying strongly in thickness/height to get a bit of variety in the texture with some being rather soft; others more al dente.

For a bit of a 'whetter' recipe (rather than just adding more joghurt), I think that a few tomatoes -- put in early in this process -- might be nice.

Thanks for the clarification. We're going to try this. We'll let you know how it turns out for us.

Sarge

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on September 10, 2018, 01:27:01 PM
Thanks for the clarification. We're going to try this. We'll let you know how it turns out for us.

Sarge

Please do. I' think I'll try it out again tonight -- and this time I will write down how I'm doing it.

Also - for fats in Indian I always use a mixture of ghee & olive oil, if I haven't mentioned it. Ah, yes, I did. But it's always worth mentioning... makes such a splendid base when frying the onions.

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on September 17, 2018, 03:36:08 AM
Please do. I' think I'll try it out again tonight -- and this time I will write down how I'm doing it.

Also - for fats in Indian I always use a mixture of ghee & olive oil, if I haven't mentioned it. Ah, yes, I did. But it's always worth mentioning... makes such a splendid base when frying the onions.

And I may have missed the essential beginning to all things: ghee & olive oil heating at medium heat -- add the onions seeds. Once they start popping turn down gently. Once they all start popping, make sure not to let them burn and be ready to add the onions. Can't have enough onions.

Also: Can't really go wrong adding other veggies; today I threw in Okra and half an eggplant, because they were still around.

If you really want to impress guests, you can separate the ingredients (potatoes and most of the onions in one pot; okra, for example, in another; the red beet in a third) and make the same meal trice, as it were (same steps, parallel; potatoes taking the longest, okra the least long) and only toss it together  as you serve it... that way, you have three vibrant colors rather than the uniform red of the red beet.