What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Quote from: toledobass on December 02, 2007, 08:21:45 AM
Some friends of mine are preparing a Rijsttafel tomorrow evening.  I'm excited to try this all of the stuff.

Allan - hope that you enjoyed the meal!  Wife & I took a trip to the 'Low Countries' back in the early '90s - spent a few days in Amsterdam, and enjoyed eating in that style!  :D

SonicMan46

Took an overnight trip to the Raleigh area (just 2 hrs from home) - the NC History Museum had an exhibit of John White watercolors, many done in the 1580s - he was governor of the famous 'Lost Colony' - lent from the British Museum - spectacular experience!

Stayed overnight @ a new place, Umstead Hotel & Spa - off I-40 near Cary - just received a 5* rating, so we had to give the place a try - their restaurant is called Herons - wonderful dining experience; we shared a tuna carpaccio/tartare appetizer followed by a wonderful bib salad; my main course was a 'center cut' 3+" thick swordfish - wife had osso bucco, which she usually can't refused when on a menu!  Shared a wonderful bread pudding dessert.

Next day on the way home, drove into Chapel Hill (home of the University of NC) and stopped at the Carolina Inn for lunch - another pleasant interlude - had a nicely grilled salmon on a bed of succotash w/ a light lobster sauce; delightful combination!  :D

Lilas Pastia

Deer and boar sausage with mixed wild mushrooms and sautéed vegetables, accompanied by buttered japanese noodles (if my friend hadn't told me, I would never have known they were japanese, but anyhow, it was delicious). With a bottle of 2003 Roc de Lussac (Lussac St-Émilion).

George

Cashew Carrot Ginger soup

Brown Basmati Rice

toledobass

Quote from: SonicMan on December 09, 2007, 04:59:28 PM
Allan - hope that you enjoyed the meal!  Wife & I took a trip to the 'Low Countries' back in the early '90s - spent a few days in Amsterdam, and enjoyed eating in that style!  :D

It was a nice evening,  and a good time was had by all.  The only thing lacking was a little heat in the spice department in some of the dishes,  but everything was very flavorful.

Made a quiche last night so having a piece of it this morning, with some breakfast sausage:

Allan

MN Dave

Pineapple. Diet Coke.

Business as usual.

MN Dave

SonicMan46

Well, around the holidays, we like to have 'snack dinners' (as we call them) - tonight on Christmas Eve, eating in the den while watching A Christmas Carol w/ George C. Scott (tears in my eyes at the end, as usual!) - but our dinner as shown included a couple of cheeses, smoked salmon & trout (w/ a homemade dill sauce), and two different caviars (American - ordered on the web & shipped overnight) - Mumm Blanc de Noirs sparkling wine from the Napa Vly (i.e. made from Pinot Noir grapes - wonderful 'salmon pink' color) - we do this kind of dinner several times a year, usually holidays or special occasions - next one will be New Years Eve!  ;D

uffeviking

It's similar to the one my family had on the evening of the 24th. Our collection included a number of German luncheon meats, smoked ham 'Lachsschinken' and such delicacies. I tried to repeat the custom tonight, not too successful though; at Safeway they never heard of Lachsschinken or Gelbwurst!

I settled for pair of Weiswurst with two Salzpretzel and some Kiona Lemberger!

Lilas Pastia

Tonight we had a leisurely late evening dinner which started with buffalo wings for appetizers. This was followed by a savoyard cheese fondue (gruyère and vacherin) accompanied by steamed broccoli and small round white potatoes - both great when dipped into melted cheese.

This was accompanied by a nice belgian beer (Saison Dupont ); after a pause we ate Teriyaki filet mignon and orange and tarragon chicken breast cubes cooked on the cooking stone.

This is from some web site, and it shows the food before it's cooked on the stone. What we do is leave it in the oven at 500 degrees for 20 minutes and bring it to the table (with much precaution). Meat is sizzled on the burning stone. Yummy!

toledobass

I'm at the in-laws and will cook some risotto for dinner tonight.  They've been vegeterians for over 25 years so it's always a challenge to come down here and try and cook for them.  It's out of the norm for what I'd normally choose to make for myself but I find it a good thing to be able to try and come up with something that satisfies the diet while finding it tasty myself.  So I decided on a risotto with chestnuts and chard.  The MIL,  a proffesional baker,  will make some rolls and also made some lemon bars for dessert.  She'll probably throw together a salad at the last minute too.

Have a nice day everyone!!!

Allan

Haffner

Breakfast: Fried Potatoes, Sirloin Steak, Cranberry Juice.
Lunch: Cornish Game Hens (3 lbs. BURP!), Stove Top Stuffing, Spinach, Chocolate Ice Cream with Whipped Cream and pecans.

longears

brunch:  monterey jack and spinach omelet, buttered rye toast with raspberry jam, Ethiopia Sidamo coffee

supper:  honey-baked ham, scalloped potatoes, green bean casserole, cranberries, cherry pie w/ vanilla ice cream and/or pecan pie for dessert, washed down with some Martinelli's sparkling cranberry-apple juice 

George

Lunch: Sheep's yogurt with Granola.

M forever

In 5 minutes, I will eat spaghetti carbonara, which I am just making myself, with bacon and eggs (in other words, leftovers).

Kullervo

Quote from: M forever on December 25, 2007, 02:50:06 PM
In 5 minutes, I will eat spaghetti carbonara, which I am just making myself, with bacon and eggs (in other words, leftovers).

We just had a giant smoked ham for Christmas dinner, so there will be plenty of carbonara later on (for me, no one else likes it).

MN Dave

I had potatoes, broccoli, carrots, prime rib and merlot.

M forever

Quote from: uffeviking on December 24, 2007, 08:04:22 PM
It's similar to the one my family had on the evening of the 24th. Our collection included a number of German luncheon meats, smoked ham 'Lachsschinken' and such delicacies. I tried to repeat the custom tonight, not too successful though; at Safeway they never heard of Lachsschinken or Gelbwurst!

I settled for pair of Weiswurst with two Salzpretzel and some Kiona Lemberger!

Since you pride yourself so enormously on your knowledge of German, I have to point out to you that it is "Weisswurst" and "Salzbrezel" not "Weiswurst" and "Salzpretzel".  ;)

orbital

GOt my self a couple of cases of this one from Whole Foods. They somehow had the green/yellow ones which are really sour and quite juicy. I've been having about 8-10 of these daily  :-[

George

Quote from: orbital on December 26, 2007, 09:14:29 AM

GOt my self a couple of cases of this one from Whole Foods. They somehow had the green/yellow ones which are really sour and quite juicy. I've been having about 8-10 of these daily  :-[

Cases?  :o