What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hornteacher

Quote from: Bill on April 23, 2007, 06:01:23 PM
Yes. Lipton has been "shelved" a bit by many, including myself, but when I occasionally have a cup, I am always pleased with it....the taste always brings back good memories for me as this is what my mother drank when I was a kid....she still prefers it to this day.

The same goes for my Father.

toledobass

Yummy open faced sandwich made from some leftover veal chop for lunch.  For dinner,  an excellent flatiron steak with an arugula salad.  Love that chewy flavorful cut. 

I got the grill all ready to go today but haven't fired it up yet.  Gotta get some coals.

Allan

DavidW

Quote from: Bill on April 23, 2007, 04:45:53 PM
A plate of (cooked) small yellow potatoes, carrots, and peas all doused in:

Any other hot sauce fans out there?  What are your favorites that can actually be purchased? ;D

I have that on every other meal Bill!  I even have it on my oatmeal. :)

Bogey

Quote from: DavidW on April 30, 2007, 04:58:39 PM
I have that on every other meal Bill!  I even have it on my oatmeal. :)

Yup David.  I use it for aftershave as well.  Really tightens up those pores. ;)
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

DavidW

Quote from: Bogey on April 30, 2007, 08:16:31 PM
Yup David.  I use it for aftershave as well.  Really tightens up those pores. ;)

:D  haha

Yeah I like that brand because it adds flavor to your meals without scorching you.  I'm not a gung-ho hot sauce fan, I just like it when it helps spice up meals. :)

toledobass

Had some mussels steamed in the standard white wine,  and butter.  I Added some garlic, mustard and saffron, too.  Sopped it all up with a nice baguette.  An real treat for me.

Allan

SonicMan46

Just returned from a week in sunny Florida (vacation + meeting) - first 3 days at the Don Cesar Beach Resort (shown below, left) in St. Petersburg, right on the Gulf Coast (love to see the sunsets unlike the east coast of FL); wonderful seafood restaurant in the hotel called The Maritana Grill (menu on a PDF download, if anyone is headed that way - expensive, but some of the best prepared seafood that I've eaten over the years).

Then off to Orlando for the meeting - stayed at the JR Marriott - ate at a great Italian restaurant in the hotel, a Thai place, and the MoonFish Restaurant - the latter was by far my favorite, so if you're headed for Orlando & love seafood (or great BIG aged steaks), then give it a try!  :P :)

toledobass

Dave,

I want your life....that is all.

Allan

karlhenning

Quote from: toledobass on May 11, 2007, 05:27:14 AM
Had some mussels steamed in the standard white wine,  and butter.  I Added some garlic, mustard and saffron, too.  Sopped it all up with a nice baguette.  An real treat for me.

Dude! La dolce vita!

SonicMan46

Quote from: toledobass on May 11, 2007, 07:42:36 AM
Dave,

I want your life....that is all.

Allan - LOL!  ;D  I needed those first 3 days on St. Pete's beach before attending the meeting -  ;) :D  Don't know if you looked at that Maritana Grill menu, but we ended up eating there 2 nights - just superb; the other night we went to one of those seafood shack-type restaurants (which was highly recommended) - shared some oysters on the half shell & had stone crabs as my main course (along w/ a couple of Bass ales on tap) - hmmm that wasn't bad either (and a lot cheaper!).  :)

toledobass

Carbonara for dinner.  It was good but it's too rich for the weather now. 

Allan

SonicMan46

Well, on my own last night (wife out at a dinner meeting!) - so, quick & simple:  Alaskan King Crab, just steamed & cooled + a spinach/mushroom salad w/ a little low-cal blue cheese dressing (my favorite!); OH, of course a light Chardonnay - tried the newest release of the Greg Norman (inexpensive & readily available in the grocery stores here) - not bad (probably would give it a mid-80s rating), but fine w/ the crab.  :D

toledobass

A nice chewy flank steak with carmelized shallots and a spinach salad.

Allan

Solitary Wanderer

'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

Mozart

SonicMan46

Well, this seemed to be a much more popular thread on the 'old forum' - someone must be eating out there!  ;D

Just returned from a long weekend trip to Atlanta - mainly went to see the 'new' aquarium, also took in the Margaret Mitchell house, & the Atlanta Historic Museum - stayed at the Ritz in Buckhead, and then on the way back decided to spend an overnight in the South Carolina 'Upcountry' - fabulous little 'new' place called 'La Bastide Country Inn' (CLICK on the image for more details)!

But this is about EATING - so, if anyone is coming to Atlanta or to the SC mountains, then these are the restaurants we tried and all are highly recommended (CLICK on images for more info!):

Atlanta Fish Market - fabulous seafood place! Started out w/ oysters on the half shell (4 different types) & 'steamers' (as good as I've had them in New England); main course was Alaskan halibut 'Chinese Style' - steamed w/ spinach & jasmine rice - delicious & healthy - the choices there are astounding (and the 'cheapest' dinner of the trip!).

Dining Room @ Ritz - most expensive dinner of the trip but just unique (considered one of the best restuarants, if not the TOPS, in Atlanta) - had a squab appetizer w/ duck main course + Oregon Pinot Noir - this was a great experience; desserts were fablulous w/ French press coffee for me & 'white' tea for the wife from a special cart devoted to a variety of teas - really a treat (but you PAY for it!).

Bluepointe Restaurant - just across the street from the Ritz; owned by the same people as the Atlanta Fish Market but more formal & upscale w/ 'Asian fusion' influences - this was probably my favorite meal; started out w/ a selection of oysters on the half shelf & a unique himachi roll (full sushi menu available) - main course was a curry crusted grouper w/ bok choy (my favorite veggie) - one of the best curry sauces that I've ever eaten! French press coffee (Kona coast) w/ a fabulous chocolate dessert + pitaschio ice cream made fresh (share w/ wife) - hmmm!

Last night was in SC at La Bastide (CLICK on the image below for more info) - fabulous restaurant in this country inn - started out w/ 'boneless' quail, shared a Stilton blue cheese salad w/ spouse, and tried roasted suckling pig (YES, I thought of Babe the Pig - a film that I own!); dessert of fresh sorbets was outstanding.

Don't think we could have had another night - ate lite tonight at home on our return -  ;D

toledobass

As usual Dave shows us what it's like to eat well.

I had a pretty nice dinner.  A frisee salad with topped with bacon and poached eggs and a nice piece of toast. 

Allan

Larry Rinkel

Today I made a lamb dish, Indian style, in which a nice 2-pound piece of boneless leg of lamb had been marinating in a sauce of yogurt, ginger, garlic, roasted ground cumin, ground pistachios, chopped raisins, lemon juice, and brown sugar, topped with saffron. That was roasted in a slow oven for 90 minutes and served over basmati rice. Enough leftover for at least 2 more meals.

orbital

This one but with pistachios rather than hazelnuts

SonicMan46

Quote from: Larry Rinkel on May 29, 2007, 07:56:15 PM
Today I made a lamb dish, Indian style, in which a nice 2-pound piece of boneless leg of lamb had been marinating in a sauce of yogurt, ginger, garlic, roasted ground cumin, ground pistachios, chopped raisins, lemon juice, and brown sugar, topped with saffron. That was roasted in a slow oven for 90 minutes and served over basmati rice. Enough leftover for at least 2 more meals.

Allan - I believe you & I could be GREAT 'eating pals' - wife & I really enjoyed those dinners!  :D

Larry - that description sounds superb - sure that we would enjoy - BTW, I usually prefer 'beer' w/ Indian food (i.e. Asian Indian for the 'smart a$$es'), but more recently I've been trying the quite acidic New Zealand Sauvignon Blancs w/ this food - seems to work quite well - comments from all appreciated - Dave  :)