What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

This morning had some homemade pancakes and some some sausages. Tonight's menu looks like Hawaiian-style grilled pork chops, baked potato and a garden salad.

steve ridgway

Give pies a chance :P.

SurprisedByBeauty

Since I had some chicken in yoghurt & spices for some time, I made a quick little tandoori-style chicken with curried Kohlrabi tonight. Let's see if the picture will attach.

This, if it shows, is a triple-layered dessert: Blackberry-mascarpone cream. Lime granita. Green-Tea/Lime Foam.

Here I prepared some red and green Thai Curry paste for the months to come:

A simple ginger/tomato pasta for lunch:

This, I believe, was another curry. Possibly with tongue, but I don't remember.

Grilled fishes (salmon and flatfish) with mint/dried tomato couscous and Kohlrabi/celery gratin.

A pizza with red beets, chard, and ricotta:

One of my several cheesecakes; this one with pears:

...and while I am at it, I like to make a similar cake, but quiche-style, with roast veggies on top and 'actual' cheeses therein:

This was pasta with black bean sauce & tomatoes:

And here we have a Black Sea style corn-bread:

...that went with a ghurken/dried tomato/parsley salad:

...and grilled fish:

Another little pasta in between, because it's so easy:

ditto Pizza... because once you have made plenty of dough, it's a matter of 10 minutes (minus pre-heating the oven to the max max max.

And Pasta again:

Or fake fajitas with grilled and brined tongue:

Flammkuchen can be nice:

as can be Pasta ... with pig's heart:

Or this, which I clean forgot what that was.

Finally: a blood orange/matcha two-layered cheese cake that came out very nicely:

Papy Oli

very appetising, Jens ! (bar the tongue that is, a childhood nightmare for me ??? )
Olivier

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Papy Oli on June 20, 2020, 12:10:47 PM
very appetising, Jens ! (bar the tongue that is, a childhood nightmare for me ??? )

I hear you. But it can be soooo delicious, if done well!

Iota

Quote from: Papy Oli on June 20, 2020, 12:10:47 PM
very appetising, Jens !

Indeed! (.. do you do takeaway?  :D)

Quote from: Papy Oli on June 20, 2020, 12:10:47 PM(bar the tongue that is, a childhood nightmare for me ??? )

I think on balance, the fact that I've never knowingly eaten tongue, is something of which I'm glad.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on June 20, 2020, 10:26:09 AM
Since I had some chicken in yoghurt & spices for some time, I made a quick little tandoori-style chicken with curried Kohlrabi tonight. Let's see if the picture will attach.
I see that you certainly like to cook and bake!   :)  And I'm guessing also creating your own recipes/dishes?
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Someone here was curious as to how I make my baba ghanoush.  I adapted mine from Deborah Madison's one in her wonderful cookbook Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone.

1 large or 2 medium eggplants, about 1 1/4 lbs.
3 or more roasted garlic cloves
About 1/3 cup of tahini (or more--to your taste)
Juice of at least 1 large lemon (same as above)
Salt
Ground cumin (a couple of spoonfuls) and I added about the same amount of ground coriander
Extra virgin olive oil
Chopped parsley

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Slash the eggplant in several places so it won't explode.  Put it in a pan.  Grab a head or two of garlic (great to have extra roasted!), slice off the very top of it, sprinkle with s & p, drizzle some olive oil over it and wrap it inside aluminum foil, and place it next to the eggplant and bake eggplant 'til it's soft to the point of collapsing, 30 to 40 minutes.  Garlic should be nice and soft too so that you can easily slip it out of its skin.  The eggplant skin should also blacken/char a bit in a few places.  Let eggplant cool slightly 'til you can handle it easily.

Peel eggplant (a combo of peeling and scraping the flesh off of the skin) and put into a blender along with 3 or more of the roasted garlic cloves (slipped or squished out of their skins).  Add the tahini, lemon juice, salt, ground cumin and coriander and purée.  Scrape down the sides of the blender a few times and taste:  you might want to add more lemon juice or spices?

Mound in in a bowl making a little depression in the top with the back of a spoon.  Pour in a little of the olive oil and sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley.

Tastes great with toasted pita chips and or various chunks of veggies.

Notes:  her version call for using 3 fresh cloves of garlic (not roasted), but I find that roasting it mellows and sweetens the flavor so that you aren't 'assaulted' by that raw garlic flavor.  Also, her recipe calls for 1/4 cup of tahini but I like more in it.  And lots of fresh lemon juice too!   :)  You can also grill the eggplant (which I hope to do outside this summer).

Note 2:  Love Deborah Madison's cookbooks!  She's not vegetarian but loves her vegetables and it shows in her recipes.

EDIT:  I should add also, that her recipe doesn't call for the cumin nor the coriander but I like them in there (adds a bit more depth of flavor I think...and some smokiness too).  Looking around, I did notice that other versions of b.g. also call for them in there....and there are course other variations to be find out in the land of Google!   ;D
Pohjolas Daughter

bhodges

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on June 20, 2020, 10:26:09 AM

[Flood of enticing images excised.]

My goodness, you are quite the chef! Very impressed, both with breadth and execution.

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 24, 2020, 10:40:34 AM
Someone here was curious as to how I make my baba ghanoush.  I adapted mine from Deborah Madison's one in her wonderful cookbook Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone.

And thanks for that recipe. Eggplant is one of my favorite vegetables, but I've never tried to make baba ghanoush at home. That may change.  ;D

--Bruce

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Brewski on June 24, 2020, 11:00:21 AM
My goodness, you are quite the chef! Very impressed, both with breadth and execution.

And thanks for that recipe. Eggplant is one of my favorite vegetables, but I've never tried to make baba ghanoush at home. That may change.  ;D

--Bruce
You're most welcome Brewski!  It really is pretty simple and keeps nicely.  I read somewhere today that it freezes well (haven't tried that though).  I find that the hardest bit is getting the tahini stirred together (oil separates from the sesame paste)--particularly when it is cold from the fridge.  I've found that taking it out of the refrigerator at the start of making the recipe helps (jar and contents are then a bit easier to stir).  :)
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Thanks PD
Looks very appetising!
Jeffrey
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

pjme

Ha! this is the place to be:
While listening to Honegger's delightful Concerto da camera (flute, cor anglais & strings) I made "Ketchup without sugar".

Ingredients: 1 tin of tomatoes, ca 50 ml red wine vinegar, 1 red pepper (paprika), a smallish fennel, ca 2-3 celery stalks (at least one with the green leaves), 1 chili pepper (to tatse with or without seeds), 1-2 cloves, 1 onion, ca 1 tsp (sweet) paprika powder, garlic to taste, pepper, salt.

Easy way: clean & shred the vegetables, mix with the spices & vinegar, add some water. Cook 20-25 minutes in a pressure cooker. If too liquid: reduce a bit. Try to find the cloves.... then mix thoroughly. Put in jars. Keeps in the fridge for a couple of weeks.
More complicated: simmer the tomatoes, fennel, onion, garlic, pepper, celery with a little bit of water until tender (ca 30/40 mins.) Add some water if necessary. Stir. Mix.
Then add the spices & vinegar. Simmer and reduce (ca 30/40 minutes).

bhodges

Quote from: pjme on June 24, 2020, 12:06:59 PM
While listening to Honegger's delightful Concerto da camera (flute, cor anglais & strings) I made "Ketchup without sugar".

Ingredients: 1 tin of tomatoes, ca 50 ml red wine vinegar, 1 red pepper (paprika), a smallish fennel, ca 2-3 celery stalks (at least one with the green leaves), 1 chili pepper (to tatse with or without seeds), 1-2 cloves, 1 onion, ca 1 tsp (sweet) paprika powder, garlic to taste, pepper, salt.

Easy way: clean & shred the vegetables, mix with the spices & vinegar, add some water. Cook 20-25 minutes in a pressure cooker. If too liquid: reduce a bit. Try to find the cloves.... then mix thoroughly. Put in jars. Keeps in the fridge for a couple of weeks.
More complicated: simmer the tomatoes, fennel, onion, garlic, pepper, celery with a little bit of water until tender (ca 30/40 mins.) Add some water if necessary. Stir. Mix.

It's clear that I need to check this thread more often. This sounds great, especially since unnecessary sugar is one of my biggest complaints with many recipes. Thanks!

--Bruce

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on June 24, 2020, 11:59:31 AM
Thanks PD
Looks very appetising!
Jeffrey
You're welcome Jeffrey!
Quote from: pjme on June 24, 2020, 12:06:59 PM

Sounds yummy!  A couple of questions for you:  1) How big of a can of tomatoes and what type (as in whole plum with sauce?  Or diced? 2) a paprika pepper?  I see that according to Wiki that can be a number of varieties.  I wonder what I might be able to find similar to it in the US? 3) By shredding, do you mean to grate them...like in a food processor or something else?

So, do you use this ketchup in any recipe calling for 'regular' ketchup?  It does sound zestier (and healthier) than store-bought ketchup.   ;D

Anyone here have any favorite pickling recipes?  If all goes well, I should have a fair number of pickles to figure out what to do with.  I do have canning jars, so can do pantry storage recipes...or also open to quick pickles too.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

pjme

Indeed, I forgot a few details.
1) How big of a can of tomatoes and what type (as in whole plum with sauce? Or diced? 400 gr. Any type will do. I use diced.

2) a paprika pepper?  I see that according to Wiki that can be a number of varieties.  I wonder what I might be able to find similar to it in the US?

Red paprika, bell/Dutch...
3) By shredding, do you mean to grate them...like in a food processor or something else?
No, shredding or grating is not necessary. just chop !

(Around midnight my knowledge of English becomes blurry.. :))

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: pjme on June 24, 2020, 10:11:19 PM
Indeed, I forgot a few details.
1) How big of a can of tomatoes and what type (as in whole plum with sauce? Or diced? 400 gr. Any type will do. I use diced.

2) a paprika pepper?  I see that according to Wiki that can be a number of varieties.  I wonder what I might be able to find similar to it in the US?

Red paprika, bell/Dutch...
3) By shredding, do you mean to grate them...like in a food processor or something else?
No, shredding or grating is not necessary. just chop !

(Around midnight my knowledge of English becomes blurry.. :))
Thanks Peter!   :)
Pohjolas Daughter

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 22, 2020, 03:48:39 PM
I see that you certainly like to cook and bake!   :)  And I'm guessing also creating your own recipes/dishes?

Yes, most of it is spontaneous, spur of the moment stuff. Sometimes I go to recipes, to broaden my repertoire.

Definitely more into cooking than baking, though... unless it's forgiving stuff, like cheesecake, where I can still experiment wildly without it being a disaster. :-)

Carlo Gesualdo

Healtier stuff, des dattes, des pomme verte (les rouges je les aime pas, et des organe, j'ai mangé en masse de legumes aussi ce moi si= I did improvement in my health habits , whit fresh fruits and dark green , purple vedgy styr fried, mine are the best, I,m the basolute king of such, mine are elaborate whit  herbss, ognions, eggplant , zuchinnis, mushroom, olive,  and ect guys I,m not sell out my perfects recipes there my master work.

Pohjolas Daughter

Sounds nice!  Did you make your marinara sauce or use jarred?  There are some pretty decent jarred ones out there these days; bonus, it saves heating up the kitchen that much more too!

Eggplant will be featuring in an upcoming recipe very, very soon as the first one is at picking point.   :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Carlo Gesualdo

I was Drinking almond milk, I like also rice milk , so milk less, because I'M not allergic but intolerant to lactose and beside ask you're doctor thee utter danger of eating or drinking too much dairy lactose,: overweight or cardio-vasculary problem, etc.

So I drink a big glass of milk every night to sleep better and it work. Who is like me struggle whit insomnia and drink milk  before sleeping dose it really help, please Doctors on Good Music Guide tell me?

For me it work like a charm, I sleep at 10--11pm wake up at dawn, to see colors of sky, qat there best , than I do cycling, this is what I do.